Juicing

Options
I spoke to a lady at work today who advised me that the body needs a rest sometimes, and that I should try juicing (living off blended fruits & veg). Has anyone had any success with this? Any advice?

Replies

• mitzhogue
    mitzhogue Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I haven't... but have you watched the doc "sick, fat & nearly dead" ? this guy goes on a juice fast and completely heals himself of multiple health issues. really fascinating stuff.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Unnecessary, eat solid food instead drinking your calories. Solid food will keep you fuller longer and your body never needs a rest except at bedtime.

ETA: forgot a word as us.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Saying the body needs a rest from eating/digestion makes about as much sense as saying that the body needs a rest from breathing and we should hold our breath for a few days once in a while. It's New Age woo/derp and has no validity whatsoever, just like cleanses/detoxes and all the other silly New Age fads.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    shannon_hr wrote: »
    I spoke to a lady at work today who advised me that the body needs a rest sometimes, and that I should try juicing (living off blended fruits & veg). Has anyone had any success with this? Any advice?

I agree that the body needs rest. I just don't know what juicing has to do with that...
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    mitzhogue wrote: »
    I haven't... but have you watched the doc "sick, fat & nearly dead" ? this guy goes on a juice fast and completely heals himself of multiple health issues. really fascinating stuff.

He's also regained a considerable amount of his weight.
  • MissusMoon
    Options

http://www.livescience.com/48887-juice-cleanse-dangers.html
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Your coworker is very much misinformed.
    The body needs rest but the digestive system does not.
    Eat food. No need to juice.
  • mitzhogue
    mitzhogue Posts: 132 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Yes he did, he didn't learn to change his habits or eat healthfully after the juice fast, he regained his weight and all of his health problems. Juice fasting is pretty extreme, but eating processed fake food for 30+ years is pretty extreme too.. so sometimes you need a stiff kick in the pants to get you pointed in the right direction... all very controversial, there are arguments for both sides... Extreme usually means the yo yo effect.. which doesn't help anyone in the end. Balance people. Balance.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Juicing does not give you fiber. Extremely important to have fiber in your life.
    Eat the veggies instead.
    Are you trying to lose weight or gain?
  • MissusMoon
    Options

Yes he did, he didn't learn to change his habits or eat healthfully after the juice fast, he regained his weight and all of his health problems. Juice fasting is pretty extreme, but eating processed fake food for 30+ years is pretty extreme too.. so sometimes you need a stiff kick in the pants to get you pointed in the right direction... all very controversial, there are arguments for both sides... Extreme usually means the yo yo effect.. which doesn't help anyone in the end. Balance people. Balance.

There are arguments for both sides of the extreme? None of them are likely good ones.

I'll agree with you on the balance.

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

And he gets fat again...
  • ho11y4271
    ho11y4271 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm just guessing here, but doesn't your body get a rest every night when you're asleep.
    And doesn't your body digests the juices the same as food?
    As I say just guessing.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

The lady at work is very misinformed.

Juicing is marketing gimmick, not backed by medical science, and carries no benefits.

Your body has kidneys that filter out some of the most gruesome things we eat or drink.

Juicing also removed the pulp from the fruit or vegetables which are a source of fibre, required for proper digestion.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

http://www.livescience.com/48887-juice-cleanse-dangers.html

gtc5qvthgrtb.jpg