Help for a newbie low carb sugar fee for IR

Options
Hi I have cut out potatoes, wheat, sugar, rice and articifial sweatner. I have lost 13 pounds since may 6. Water retention in my ankles is gone!!!! I feel great!! I have done this due to insulin resistence. Yesterday bad day and ate white flour and fries...felt crappy won't do again.

I eat fruit. Doe that mean my body will not go into ketosis? I don't know that I want it to or not?
I feel sick to my stomach in the am till I eat I have never had that it goes away when I eat but it's hard to eat...is this common ? Only in an?
Do I have to do anything to make up for the refined carbs my body is not getting?
So much conflicting information on web...I'm confused.

Replies

• godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go into ketosis to lose weight. You have probably already read this--
    http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis

For me, I could never maintain a food plan that cuts out the foods you've listed. But some people respond well to restriction. However, if you think you must do a low-carb diet to reverse metabolic syndrome, you DON'T. Are you seeing a doctor?
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a Dr. I have pcos and that is tje reccomended treatment. Dr told me to cut it out.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Here's a great resource for low carb eating with sections on what foods to eat and how low carb to go: Low Carb for Beginners

The Low Carbers Daily group here is also a great source of information and support.

• treehugnmama
    Options
    Thanks I will check it out..
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If your doctor has recommended this diet, but you're confused about it, ask more questions (if she will answer them) and check out good resources as AlabasterVerve has suggested.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you want to be in ketosis then you should probably start with a digestible carbohydrate intake around 20 grams and work up from there to find your sweet spot.

Sugars are anti-ketogenic so 2 weeks without it would be a good start, then introduce low sugar (<5%) berries.

Your body has its own systems in place to run without digested carbohydrate. Get 60 - 100 grams a day of protein, minimal carbs primarily from vegetables and plenty of oils / fats.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb too and eat fruit & veggies, mostly fruits and leafy greens, every day. I'm in ketosis. Adjusting my diet determines if i stay there and at what level.

I have autoimmune issues. My body reacts really badly to increased carb intake. It's almost like loving the taste of alcohol then having to deal with the hangover after. Some days it's worth it, some days...not so much. So usually I stay under my trigger threshold which effectively controls my reactions.

I second the low carb group recommended above. Very supportive and knowledgeable.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a Dr. I have pcos and that is tje reccomended treatment. Dr told me to cut it out.

I have PCOS but i've never heard to restrict carbs . I'm going to try to find the link but i read to eat more complex carbs while reducing simple carbs, increase protein and increase water.

IF your body isn't getting enough carbs then it may go into ketosis of course. For healthy people who don't have diabetes and aren't pregnant, ketosis usually kicks in after 3 or 4 days of eating less than 50 grams of carbohydrates per day. Have you ensured you're eating at a good level?
    This is one of those links: http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-lose-weight-with-pcos-insulin-resistance.htm . This one happens to say lower carbs but it really depends how much you're lowering it, i personally rather to switch my carbs from simple to complex

This link https://tdeecalculator.net/ will bring you to a page and if you scroll down you'll see the recommended carb amount for a low calorie diet . Keep in mind those with PCOS tend to have a lower BMI than regular calculators will show . A fitness junkie friend of mine told me if i'm changing macros to subtract 5-10 grams from that website due to PCOS. If i was to follow a low carb , according to that site i should eat 89g, however I would go with 82 .

What do you mean sick to the stomach? Weak? Tired? Nauseous? This may all be signs that your body isn't getting enough energy (may be due to low carb) or some other nutrient (such as iron) or you may have cut too quickly. High level of ketones may lead to quick dehydration btw. I also think a weird feeling or pain in the stomach is a sign of ketosis , along with tiredness and fruit smelling breath. Did you gradually change your diet or suddenly did one week? Are you eating more than 50g of carbs?
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    I am eating lots of carbs in the fruit veggie variety. I changed diet in a day went from eating g lots of sugar wheat and potatoes to not. I feel great more energy, head aches gone..just feel nauseaus in am till I eat but it's hard to eat with level of nausea . I just wondered if that was normal with low carbs?

As for no sugar and white flour for pcos thay has been a reccomendation for 20 years.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I am eating lots of carbs in the fruit veggie variety. I changed diet in a day went from eating g lots of sugar wheat and potatoes to not. I feel great more energy, head aches gone..just feel nauseaus in am till I eat but it's hard to eat with level of nausea . I just wondered if that was normal with low carbs?

As for no sugar and white flour for pcos thay has been a reccomendation for 20 years.

I would say be careful on the fruit. Some fruit is very high in sugar content, MOST vegetables are lower on sugar content, but not all. Although vegetables may not have labels there is nutrition information out there for them, read up and inform yourself. Very much recommend the low carb group as a resource.

Keep an open mind though, there is a lot of bad information going around the internet and this site. Find out what works for you and take any advice that uses absolutes very skeptically.
  • nowfaith111
    nowfaith111 Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you are nauseated and tired it is probably your electrolytes. I felt that way when I began low carb but after increasing my salt and magnesium i stopped. The keto group I follow is Ketogenic dieters on Facebook. There is wealth of knowledge there with every issue for keto being addressed.
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    Thqnks for the help :)
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you are nauseated and tired it is probably your electrolytes. I felt that way when I began low carb but after increasing my salt and magnesium i stopped. The keto group I follow is Ketogenic dieters on Facebook. There is wealth of knowledge there with every issue for keto being addressed.

I've been keto for two weeks and am dropping weight fast, but the last couple of days have been feeling heavily depleted, and wondered if it was my electrolytes. I went to the store and bought some NoSalt, which is a salt replacement with a significant potassium percentage. I use salt also, but bought it for the potassium to help balance electrolytes. I went home and made this soup, and I feel brand-spanking new. Green soup is in my soul food. There's lot of variations, but here's my recipe:
    One sliced onion.
    Add to a heavy pan with a couple tablespoons of butter, and saute at medium for 15-20 minutes, until the onion is brown and caramelized.
    Add a container of chicken stock (6 cups), some crushed garlic if that's your thing, some NoSalt, salt, pepper, a bit of cayenne for heat if you want, and a couple tablespoons of turmeric if desired.
    Add as many greens as you can, little by little, with whatever you have on hand. I used one of those plastic containers of baby spinach (yes, the whole thing!), a head of butter lettuce, and several leaves of kale from my backyard garden.
    Don't throw it all in there at once; let one batch wilt as you you stir before you add the next.
    To finish, I add a can of coconut cream. Not coconut milk, but the cream. You can find it at Trader Joe's, Mexican groceries, etc.
    If you aren't allergic to avocados like I am, you can also add an avocado for more creaminess.
    Blend in batches in a blender, or blend up with a stick blender directly in the pan. Add the juice of a whole lemon to add brightness, then:
    Serve in bowls with a touch of sour cream and a garnish of chives.

This soup is amazing and I promise you will feel better! My kids hate greens, and they love this soup! We had it tonight with cauliflower mash and roast chicken.

You can also replace the greens with asparagus. The asparagus version is my family's absolute favorite.

Good luck, and KCKO.

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I also strongly suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    Thanks I'll check it out .