Why am I not losing weight!!!!!

Options
i know these kinds of posts are posted all the time and I've already seen the chart but!!! It's been six weeks and nothing is budging. The first week I started, I dropped a good four or five pounds and up until now that's been it. I went from hardly ever working out to working out 5 days a week (three weight lifting and two cardio) and I've been eating fairly clean with one not too crazy cheat meal a week. I keep my carbs around 100grams and I watch my sodium. I drink at least a gallon a day. So.... Is this normal and I need more patience? Or is there something weird going on? Also.... I weigh my food out religiously... So I know that's not the problem either!

Replies

• trollerskates
    trollerskates Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Start walking 1 hour a day. Not running! Keep your carbs clean. Sweet potatos, veggies.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary?
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're just gaining muscle? Have you taken your measurements? Measurements are a much better way to notice progress than the scale is.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? Sometimes you'll lose inches and not pounds. You have to give your body some time to adjust to the new changes. The first few pounds you lost was water weight. You've only been on this journey for a few weeks. Now if it's been 3-4 months, then you should worry. Stay focused and the pounds will come off.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    kaitfin94 wrote: »
    i know these kinds of posts are posted all the time and I've already seen the chart but!!! It's been six weeks and nothing is budging. The first week I started, I dropped a good four or five pounds and up until now that's been it. I went from hardly ever working out to working out 5 days a week (three weight lifting and two cardio) and I've been eating fairly clean with one not too crazy cheat meal a week. I keep my carbs around 100grams and I watch my sodium. I drink at least a gallon a day. So.... Is this normal and I need more patience? Or is there something weird going on? Also.... I weigh my food out religiously... So I know that's not the problem either!

unless you have diabetes or a thyroid issue, you're eating more than you think or burning much less than you think - or both. eating clean doesn't matter regarding weight loss, sodium certainly doesn't. low carb doesn't matter, either, unless you have PCOS, diabetes or something like that.

unless you have an endocrine issue, all that matters is CICO (calories in vs calories out).

you say you're weighing your food - are you choosing your database entries carefully? one of my favorite foods is listed about 20 times, each with a different calorie count, with 200 calories difference between the highest and the lowest. also have you got your MFP set to sedentary? that's the best way to go, as you can add exercise to get your total. and last, are you eating back all, some or none of your exercise calories?
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to really, really get meticulous on your food logging, and lose the cheat day or cheat meal. You can easily eat 1000-2000 or more calories in a decadent meal/cocktails effectively erasing all of your hard work the previous 7 days.

Instead of cheat day or meal, incorporate your favorites into your meals - just make sure you account for the calories and stay within your limit. This way you get to eat your favorite things without going backwards. I'm able to eat ice cream, have the occasional cocktail, piece of cheesecake, etc this way.

Whenever I've failed on a diet it has been because I was underestimating what I ate. Religious logging is the way to go.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your cottage cheese and peanut butter and protein powder? I've noticed you're using cups/spoons, so I'm not sure. DO you log any cooking oils?
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and what is your weight?
  • kaitfin94
    kaitfin94 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So I've definitely been measuring everything out including oils and peanut butter and what not. I use the scanner in the app to get the food so I know it's the right ones. Sometimes the food I'm logging doesn't give me the option to put things into grams so I just see how many grams a serving is on the package and add it in that way. I'm trying to eat clean but I am also still on a deficit. I use a Fitbit hr to get a more accurate calorie burn count but I still try to eat only a tiny bit of exercise calories back. But I haven't been weighing things on my cheat meals so that could definitely be my problem. I'm 5'2 and only have ten pounds to lose so that could also be why?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    So I've definitely been measuring everything out including oils and peanut butter and what not. I use the scanner in the app to get the food so I know it's the right ones. Sometimes the food I'm logging doesn't give me the option to put things into grams so I just see how many grams a serving is on the package and add it in that way. I'm trying to eat clean but I am also still on a deficit. I use a Fitbit hr to get a more accurate calorie burn count but I still try to eat only a tiny bit of exercise calories back. But I haven't been weighing things on my cheat meals so that could definitely be my problem. I'm 5'2 and only have ten pounds to lose so that could also be why?

Yes, the less you have to lose, the slower the weight comes off.

But you say you've been measuring everything. That's not the same as weighing. Get a food scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

• kaitfin94
    kaitfin94 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I meant weighing. Not measuring. Sorry, yeah I do have a good scale.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

The scanner leads to the same MFP database as typing does, with the same possible errors.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

The scanner leads to the same MFP database as typing does, with the same possible errors.

I don't understand this comment - scanning by bar code leads to the exact product one is scanning not a generic or broad range of products like typing in say, vanilla ice cream, would do.

• Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Start walking 1 hour a day. Not running! Keep your carbs clean. Sweet potatos, veggies.

Why shouldn't she run?
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

I don't understand this comment - scanning by bar code leads to the exact product one is scanning not a generic or broad range of products like typing in say, vanilla ice cream, would do.

Scanning by bar code leads to one of the entries in the MFP database rather than a list of entries, but it's no guarantee that it's the correct one.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

Even scanning the product, you have to make sure that the entry for calories is correct... even the green check "verified" entries are not always correct. So OP must make sure she's posting the correct amount of calories and not just trust the entry is actually correct.