FOOD FINDS - what new food have you discovered works well in your plan?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Really simple. I put several different vegetables in a skillet and stir-fry them to both thaw and cook them for my dinner. I don't want to get bored so I vary the variety each time something gets depleted. I purchased a red cabbage last week and put about 80 g in the skillet with the other vegetables. While that's going on I thaw the meat in the microwave then reheat the rice and beans in the microwave. After the veg have been on the fire for 10 or so minutes I put the meat in and cook it another 6 or 10 for both sides. The cabbage keeps its color, remains somewhat firm, and on the visual aspect alone I'm glad I tried it.
  • wwskinnygirl
    wwskinnygirl Posts: 1 Member
    Fat Free Cottage Cheese with FRESH Pineapple
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I have found myself eating the same things a lot.

Breakfast: special k protein cereal

Lunch: some sort of chicken salad

Snack: Greek yogurt

Dinner: varies, whatever the family is eating

Snack: popcorn and m&ms. ;)
  • kylegeldmaker
    kylegeldmaker Posts: 21 Member
    Pbfit
    Smoked mushrooms
    Almond milk

Without those things, I could not succeed.
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Rice, Laughing cow cheese wedges, Worcestershire sauce, tea, jalapenos, pickles, and homemade tortillas.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Right now I'm loving 2% cottage cheese with a banana on top and two dashes of cinnamon. Yum.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Air popped popcorn because air is free. Lots of volume for few calories. I like to chew on my calories.

Buckwheat/Kasha. Half a cup will yield you about 10g of protein for about 300 calories. This small serving gives you half your Magnesium for the day as well as 30% of your daily fiber. A pretty good deal for a grain, I'd say.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,715 Member
    edited May 2016
    Guavas are nice - tasty fruit with a l'il bit of protein. Jicama - love the prebiotics and the crunch. And plain Greek yogurt is an old standby - yumminess, probiotics, protein, and so versatile: Breakfast, in salad dressing, sour cream substitute, etc.
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    I Love rice and salsa. And nut butters with banana!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Frozen individual serves of fish (tuna, salmon, whiting etc) and Steam Fresh frozen veg & rice/risotto.

Pan fry the fish, nuke the veg.

Easy meals!
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Diced jalapenos. No calories and make bland stuff more palatable
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Organic cottage cheese with diced pineapple and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Asian cashew salad kit from Costco. It is mostly cabbage and carrots. It's a great change from iceberg or romaine salads I've been eating for lunch lately.
  • aliceband21
    aliceband21 Posts: 15 Member
    Courgette all the way
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I am currently in love with Stubb's green chile anytime sauce. It is 5 calories for 16 grams. It is sooooooo tasty!
  • nicoleash126
    nicoleash126 Posts: 22 Member
    Tuna fish- low calories and filling
    Hard boiled eggs - I love em and very filling
    Home made fresh fruit smoothie- strawberry and banana low fat yogurt and ice- yum yum FILLING and delicious
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Chayote, they are a melon with very little flavor and they soak up the flavor of what every you choose to put with it. I cube them up into small pieces and fry them in bacon grease with onions....sooo good, and you would never know it's a melon because at that point it reminds me of fried potatoes
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Chia and plain yogurt
    Silk cashew milk and coconut milk for my protein smoothies
  • elizabethpittman80
    elizabethpittman80 Posts: 22 Member
    Cracker barrel cheese sticks and fruit for a snack, Sunkist tuna packs are so tasty and versatile. Yasso chocolate chip cookie dough satisfies my ice cream craving at 100 calories. Flavored Instant oatmeal is under 150 calories for a more satisfying snack.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Flavor infused vinegars and olive oils. We're rather fortunate here in that we're very close to wine country, so excellent infused vinegar is easy to find. Going low-sodium/low-carb/low-fat for our household meant trying to find new ways to flavor food, especially since we've tripled our veggie consumption. The Olive Press in Napa and Amphora in Berkeley have spectacular vinegars and olive oils and just a tiny bit can flavor any dish. I probably have nine bottles of vinegar and close to as many different olive oils in the kitchen!