Atkins diet?

Options
breezyy3141
breezyy3141 Posts: 18 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I know fresh food is better but the only days I can do that is on my days off (2 days a week) I live with other people in the house and they'll eat my food I prep if I leave in the fridge. So that's why I won't food prep. But just curious about what you guys think about the Atkins diet. I am working out 4-5 days a week as well. Have any of you tried this diet and if so what is your opinion about it? Or if anyone has any other recommendations for a person that's always on the go and doesn't have much time to make food. T.I.A ☺

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I food prep and freeze...but when I got divorced years ago and had to temporarily move in with my family, I prepped and froze almost 90 meals in one weekend. My younger brother actually ate through half of them before I realized. I cried LOL.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    sounds like an excuse not to prep? tell the other people in your house not to eat your *kitten*!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Even if you can't prep and have to grab pre-made food, in general I think it's a better idea to stay away from any "_____ diet" and just keep track of your calories eating stuff you enjoy. A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight and you want to get into habits you can easily continue after you hit your goal weight.

• jademiles84
    jademiles84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've just started on the Atkins diet this week, it's really interesting how it works - let me know how you get on x
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would think Atkins would require food prep and fresh food since most convenience foods have carbs.

I have been eating LCHF, basically the equivalent of Atkins phase 1 (plus full fat dairy), for a year. I feel better, my health improved, and I lost 40 lbs.

My go to snacks are meat leftovers and pepperoni, cheese, nuts, and eggs. Most of my meals are a meat with a side of veggies, usually with a butter or cheese sauce. It's pretty easy to eat this way. Just avoid the stachy sides like potato or rice, and skip sandwiches.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure how not being able to prep equals doing Atkins....

As to whether or not Atkins is a good choice, that's up to you and what you like. If you super heart bread then it might not be the best idea. Carb counting always seemed complicated and unnecessary to me when calorie counting is much easier and works so well. In five months I've only tracked calories and protein and I've lost 40 lbs.

To your food prep point, I would assume this is only relevant for your breakfast and lunch needs since that is where you might have a time crunch if you're packing in the morning. There are plenty of things you can keep around that don't require extra work to throw together in five minutes before you leave the house - ex sandwiches, baby carrots, other veggies that you can chop up quickly. Yogurt and cereal are good quick breakfasts, though I find it quite worth getting up 10 minutes earlier to have eggs every morning. In general I would say you should seriously make the effort to make things yourself, because you can eat more (and be fuller) if you're doing the prep yourself instead of buying pre-packaged things like Lean Cuisines.

Don't use your roommates as an excuse to not make good choices for yourself.