30 day shred...trouble with butt kicks...advice?

Options
Hi , I'm on day 6 of the 30 day shred. I'm finding it hard work but doable. The one thing I find very difficult is the butt kicks. They seem to hurt my shins and I find it difficult to finds enough bounce! Is it my weight? Will it get easier? Anyone who has been throug this would really appreciate the advice. I'd quite like to move on to the second section but this is holding me back.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Try stretching quads before you start. It could be that you are just really tight in the quads. The bounce typically comes from power and energy.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    I had pain in my shins with the shred also. It got bad to the point it hurt while walking in normal day to day life. I did some stretched pre workout to stretch my calf muscles. Apparently the pain is from the increase in exercise, so try standing on your bottom stair with just ya toes on the step and lowering your hells to stretch your calf muscles. Also, sit down, raise your foot off the floor (about a foot high) point your toes and spell out the alphabet and do it with the opposite leg. Its amazing how hard that can be and it works!
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes, even after one round I still have trouble with the butt kicks ... but they DID get easier. I think the warmup is just NOT enough, I typically add at least five more minutes of my own warmup before I start the DVD. Also, because the butt kicks are so hard, sometimes I do 30 seconds of high knees while she does the first round of butt kicks, and then I do the second round of butt kicks. Hang in there and keep trying! :)
  • BeccyBerry
    BeccyBerry Posts: 312
    Options
    I used to hate butt kicks, for some reason they used to really hurt my boobs none of the other cardio things did just those. For a while I sustituted in skipping instead. I wear two bras now which solved my problem. Probably wont help with yours though :laugh:

It might get easier but if it doesnt i'd definately factor in one of the other cardio moves that doesnt cause you pain. As long as you are getting the cardio in and keeping your heart rate up I dont think its the end of the world if your not kicking your butt xx
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    . Also, sit down, raise your foot off the floor (about a foot high) point your toes and spell out the alphabet and do it with the opposite leg. Its amazing how hard that can be and it works!
    Thats a really good one! Used to do that in Jazz Dance!

I think what makes shin splints worse is doing it on the spot on carpet or hard floor. I would try and move around when you do the butt kicks - say 4 forward 4 backward. It might help x
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the advice...am definitely going to try a couple of these things!!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Oh they're my favourite! I find them the easiest. But yeah try stretching
  • lcjwilson34
    lcjwilson34 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i just started the jillian get ripped in 30, does anyone know how many calories you would burn doing this.. just a guestimate??