binges

Options

What are some tips for recovering from a binge without starving yourself the next day? High fiber high protein?

I had a binge the last couple of nights totaling about 4,000 calories over maintenance.

Yes, I realize that that "only equates to about 1 lb of weight gain", but if this were to happen consistently, that would be a lot!

It only happens when I drink...and celebrations sometimes call for champagne! I don't seino very often either.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    I haven't been at maintenance very long (only 3 months or so). I'm trying to work at eating a little below maintenance daily to allow for some higher-eating days. But, if I eat more substantially than I've allowed for, I usually just go back to my daily routine next day unless the scale starts to creep up, beyond the time that water weight is a factor. Then I might try to get a little extra exercise, or cut 100-200 calories a day for a while, until things balance out.

Celebrations are indeed a necessary & desirable part of life . . . but, boy, do I ever hear you on the alcohol thing - even modest levels of alcohol consumption do nothing to improve my judgement about what and how much to eat.
  • barrebelle7
    barrebelle7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I haven't been at maintenance very long (only 3 months or so). I'm trying to work at eating a little below maintenance daily to allow for some higher-eating days. But, if I eat more substantially than I've allowed for, I usually just go back to my daily routine next day unless the scale starts to creep up, beyond the time that water weight is a factor. Then I might try to get a little extra exercise, or cut 100-200 calories a day for a while, until things balance out.

Celebrations are indeed a necessary & desirable part of life . . . but, boy, do I ever hear you on the alcohol thing - even modest levels of alcohol consumption do nothing to improve my judgement about what and how much to eat.

I'll be on my period tomorrow so I won't be able to weigh for another week (I made a rule to myself not to weight the full week of my period. Water retention freaks me out!)
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    For me it was eating less of my trigger foods and endure the discomfort that I felt when it was about to "strike" the good news is that over time it gets easier just don't give up!
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would ignore it, I have found that days (if it is really just days/a weekend) like that don't matter at all in the long-term. All the extra weight you would be able to see on the scale will be gone in a couple of days of regular eating. I find I'm often less hungry the next day anyways, so I might just have a big salad for dinner but if I feel hungrier I will also eat more.
    And high fiber, high protein is always good, so if that makes you feel better, do it anyways :)