Options
    Here's the best advice I ever got:
    Stop thinking.

Tie your shoes, get outside, and RUN!!

This isn't rocket surgery!!! :)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Am I dreaming. I'm 60 this August and if I don't do this now I probably won't ever do it and that would be sad.
    I ran my first mile at age 60 (really...not even in middle/high school did I run). It started with a 50lb weight loss, combined with obtaining 2 puppies: one a border collie and the other a pitbull mix....they needed exercise. Walked "up the hill" where I live, ran down....then started running it all. I have since run in ~20 races (winning my age group in many>>not too hard when you're my age!) and have completed six 1/2 marathons with 2 more scheduled this year. I ain't fast.....but I beat the people who are still on the couch....

TL:DR: go for it.

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I agree - go for it! I started running in my 40s, and I'm getting back to it now at nearly 50.

Like lots of other people I used C25K and that really helped me, by making me take it is small chunks and not go out too hard and give up in the first five minutes.

The things I've learnt since then:
    - good shoes and a good bra are essentials (the bra is mostly for the ladies!)
    - take it slow. Really slow. Don't feel it's not running if you aren't sprinting, you need to build up distance in your legs and starting slow is the best way to ease into it.
    - take rest days. C25K suggests 3 x week and I think that's plenty when you are getting started.
    - build in other exercises to help with core strength. Things like yoga, pilates etc are great.
    - Once you have got started, find a race a few months away - or see if there is a Parkrun group in your area. I suggest you start with a 5k, then try a 10 or 12k and see how you go. I've done one half marathon and while I'd love to do another one, I had a lot of injuries while I was training so at this point I'm sticking to 10 or 12k race which feel like an accomplishment, but I can train for them without the injuries.
    - If you are hurting - rest, ice, give it time and re-evaluate before you go out again. There is no point pushing past what your body can cope with.

Mostly though - just get started, you'll feel so great when you can say "I'm a runner".