Suggestions for Weight Training Routine

Options
I am very new at this exercise thing and would love to add a weight routine to my workout. I got to the gym M-F and time is not too big of an issue as I work from home so I can make up my hours if I spend longer amounts of time working out (although I don't want to be there all day). My gym has a few machines but mostly free weights. Any ideas on a good routine that I could add in; I need to tone everything; would like to keep it relatively simple since I am a beginner but am up for any suggestions or help from those of you that have been at this for awhile.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I would suggest actually starting with a workout video from home that uses hand weights. Buy one set that you are slightly uncomfortable with. That was the best way for me to learn exercises that worked for me.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    most gyms will allow you a free session with a trainer to teach you how to use the equipment and what would be best for you and your fitness goals.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iphone? If so there is a great app called Nike Training Club. I also work from home and have some free weights that I use to do some of these workouts when I can't make it to the gym (my days get crazy sometimes). If not, I would suggest getting one session with a personal trainer to show you how to use the equipment and give you a routine. The most important thing with weights is to have proper form and be sure you are lifting the appropriate amount of weight so that you won't injure yourself. Good Luck!
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do Jackie Warner DVD workouts at home.. I LOVE THEM! You use hand weights and she encourages you to keep increasing the weight.. Well worth the $10 I paid for the DVD....
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would speak to one of the instructors at the gym and ask them to put together a routine and show you how to perform each exercise.

I would also keep it fairly simple and use compound moves (use lots of muscles at once) like Dead Lift , Squats, Military Press & Bench Press. You can then add some isolations (single muscle moves) as you progress.

Vidoes and You Tube are ok for ideas but be careful, if you start lifting weights incorrectly you can soon cause yourself quite a bit of damage.

You also shouldn't need to "workout" for longer than 45-50 minutes.

Example workout Mon, Wed & Fri, 3 (sets) x 10 (reps)

Squats
    Bench Press
    Deadlift
    Military Press
    Chin Ups / Pull Ups

Also just a thought, a Body Pump Class is a great way to learn weight lifting moves AND help with toning at the same time.

Good luck
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    do you have a smart phone? I have 2 apps that I use all the time, Jillian Michaels Slim Down and NTC (Nike Training). Both are very good and really whips my butt at the gym. Another suggestion is signing up with a trainer. A trainer doesnt necessarily teaches you how to use the machines/wgts, but teaches you to work out smarter, if that makes sense. My trainer taught me how to do circuits and to mix routines up so i dont get bored. If it wasnt for him, I would have hated the gym!
  • SUPERSUE42
    SUPERSUE42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like the DVD I do at home...Jari Love's the person and the name of the DVD is RIPPED.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions; I have an android phone and will definitely look for the nike and jillian michaels apps. I will also see if the gym has personal trainers and how much they are; it is the town's recreation center so I am not positive if they offer personal trianing. I prefer to work out at the gym...I work from home so the gym is my time away for me ;-) I have lots of exercise videos collecting dust because doing the dishes, etc. are distractions that I will go do instead of making myself workout...the gym doesn't have those distractions.