Fitbit Calories?

Options
I got a fitbit blaze and it takes in your bmr and daily activities and tells you how much calories you burned in a day (otherwise known as your maintenance calories) I havent eaten according to these calories yet, because I am not sure how accurate it is.
Does anyone here follow their maintenance calories from their fitbit that can confirm it is accurate and if not by how much was it off?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It will vary person to person. I find mine to be fairly accurate (Blaze currently...zip and flex underestimated by 200 calories per day on average), but some people find that they overestimate.

• erickavalos96
    erickavalos96 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    @shadow2soul
    Yeah, i mean looks pretty accurate to me but at the same time its a little too good to be true, cause that means i can eat a lot food
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm at maintenance and usually eat about what fitbit say. Have lost another 3lb in the last 3 months. Over time I eat on average about 50 calories less than I burn, on a day to day basis sometimes I'm over sometimes I'm under.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Blaze synced to MFP. What I find that works best is to set the MFP calorie loss goal to 2 pounds per week and select your activity level as sedentary. On the FitBit side, set your calories burned goal to what MFP says will be your maintenance calories will be when you reach goal. When I figured this out, the scale starting going in the right direction.
  • Aymzc
    Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    GBO323 wrote: »
    I have the FitBit Blaze synced to MFP. What I find that works best is to set the MFP calorie loss goal to 2 pounds per week and select your activity level as sedentary. On the FitBit side, set your calories burned goal to what MFP says will be your maintenance calories will be when you reach goal. When I figured this out, the scale starting going in the right direction.

Where do I find what the maintenece cals would be on mfp to adjust on my fitbit please?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Aymzc wrote: »

Where do I find what the maintenece cals would be on mfp to adjust on my fitbit please?

Maintanance cals would be your TDEE. So basically if your Fibit says your TDEE is 1800 cals, use MFP to log and voila. I do believe there are MFP settings to also track maintanance.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    @shadow2soul
    Yeah, i mean looks pretty accurate to me but at the same time its a little too good to be true, cause that means i can eat a lot food

You are a 20 year old male, you can probably eat far more than you might expect. I would suggest trying the fitbit calories as your guide to take your deficit from, however, I would make sure you are very precise with your food logging. If you eat or drink it, log it. Also make sure you measure how much you are eating carefully. The best way would be using a digital kitchen scale. Do that for 4 weeks and see what the results are. If you lose close to what is expected and then you can figure out how accurate your fitbit is.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Aymzc wrote: »

In MFP, see how many calories you need to maintain your goal weight. For this, enter in a weight entry for your goal weight and then go into Goals area and see how many calories are needed to lose/gain 0 pounds. That's what I did.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @shadow2soul

I know what you mean. My fitbit estimates my TDEE between 2480-2650 calories. I'm not at maintenance just yet, so haven't tested it out.

One proviso, if you are going to eat the calories fitbit says is your TDEE then you must make sure your food logging is as accurate as possible.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and when I synced it to MFP it said I was burning double the number of calories than I was. I turned off the syncing and now I just use it for cardio and only take half of the number it gives me.