Lost 24lbs still in same jeans?

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have lost 24lbs and believe me I am extatic about that but I am still not able to go down a size in jeans :( my jeans are loose but not enough to go down a size. I still have a long way to go to my goal weight but I'm getting a little discouraged. .. any 1 else going thru this?

It takes awhile to go down a size, especially when we are bigger. When I weighed 220 some odd years ago, I recall it seemed to take 30 pounds for me to go down a blouse size, but what I neglected to acknowledge was that I had lost weight other places and lost a pants size or so. Everybody loses weight differently, and in different places. Know that you will reach your goals if you continue forward!
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yep- if you have more to lose, it's going to take more weight lost to go down a size. I probably lost about 40-45 lbs before I could comfortably go down a jean size, though my biggest size jeans were probably a little to small for me at my highest weight.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I didn't have to replace any size 20 clothes until 40 lbs lost.

However, size 16-10 was also 40 lbs. It's because girth is nonlinear with mass.
  • crystalmorrison378
    crystalmorrison378 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks every 1 for ur replies and advice! I can definitely tell exactly where 8m losing the weight... seems to be all in my chest lol.. I can definitely go down a bra size at this point. I just hope the hips and belly happen soon!
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you know whether the pounds you've lost are muscle or fat? (you would need to have kept track of your body composition). Muscle is much smaller and more compact than fat- so if the weight lost was muscle, you would not be losing as many inches. It's important to eat VERY HIGH PROTEIN while losing weight to avoid muscle loss as much as possible.

Then again, it may just be that the fat has come off of other places.

Congrats on your progress!
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    keep it going ull def need new clothes soon. i lost 140 pounds went from a size 48 in mens jeans to a 36. took a year and a half.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on the jeans. If they are low riding leans with some stretch, then I would say that isn't unusual. If they have no spandex and fit at the waist, then I would say that is not the norm.

I have one pair of pants that were TIGHT 40 lbs ago. They had a lot of stretch and sat low on my hips so I could get away with wearing them - they caused a pretty spectacular muffin top though. I can still wear them today but the legs are no longer skin tight and I don't bother with the zipper and button anymore - a belt is a must.

Other jeans I had to get rid of but these are still a good enough fit. I think they are a 14 and I now wear a 8/10.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It's all going to depend on where you carry your weight also. Mine is in my thighs, hips and butt. My hips and butt is what prevents me from going down a pant size. I started at 240 size 18 and now I'm in a size 9-10 at 166 lbs. My face was one of the first noticeable places when I first started losing weight. I think I had lost 20-25 lbs before I could fit into a size 16.
  • cass3698
    cass3698 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lb (starting at 169lb, 5'7, and current 139 so quite a lot for my size) and at 150 I felt like I was exactly the same size. All my clothes fit the same, no size changes. Then between 150 and 140 I suddenly dropped 1 1/2 jeans sizes!! In the higher weight though, I lost it all from my feet, hands/fingers/wrists, and chest. When I moved my arms, I could see my rib bones above my breasts before my legs changed a size at all! (Now I am working on adding pecs LOL) Moral of the story: your body will choose where it loses fat and it will all come eventually.... :)
    side note: as others have mentioned make sure you're trying to emphasize loosing FAT not muscle. I made that mistake with too low of a deficit and no weight-lifting and now I need to recomp and lost a lot of muscle! It'll make your SCALE progress look slower but your body so much healthier and ideal faster!
  • notkaseykasem
    notkaseykasem Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It took me 46 lbs to get to buy new jeans. Dint give up you're doing great!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 before I went down a size and I just barely fit in the new size. Gained a few pounds and couldn't fit in them. So frustrating.
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    do they fit differently? I've lost almost 30 lbs and haven't bought any new pants yet...but my old pants had gotten a bit tight and now they are a little too big...not quite a size yet though.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Be happy you don't need to spend the money yet. I kind of have the opposite problem now. I've lost the fat everywhere but, my thighs. I buy pants in the size i should be wearing and a week later they are falling down. I absolutely despise clothes shopping though. I went the first 50 pounds before I broke down and went to goodwill. Heck I started carrying a pocket knife around with me just so i could make new beltholes rather than buy new pants
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    Be happy you don't need to spend the money yet. I kind of have the opposite problem now. I've lost the fat everywhere but, my thighs. I buy pants in the size i should be wearing and a week later they are falling down. I absolutely despise clothes shopping though. I went the first 50 pounds before I broke down and went to goodwill. Heck I started carrying a pocket knife around with me just so i could make new beltholes rather than buy new pants

I know this feeling too well! I took my belt to the shop I bought it from three times now to add more holes and to cut some of it off. It used to be 130 cm long belt (from furthest hole to buckle) when I bought it and I had to use second furthest hole from buckle that time but now it is 114 cm from buckle to the furthest hole (had to cut it twice and add 7 holes) and I'm using second closest hole towards the buckle which makes it 100 cm. Makes it sound like huge loss but I've lost only one jean size down because my lower tummy and butt won't shrink much even when everything else does lol
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Jeans are tricky and bodies are weird! It all depends on where you are carrying/losing fat and how you are shaped. To illustrate the enormous variation: there is another member here who wears the same brand of jeans that I do, in the same size (8S) who weighs something like 80 pounds less than I do. I bet that if she lost 10 pounds should would go down a size, but that is probably not the case for me.

I will second the observation that it takes more of a loss to change sizes when you are a 20 than when you are a 10.

Another thing to consider: you might want to take a friend with you when you go shopping. Sometimes when your body is changing a lot, it is hard to know what really fits and what does not--a trusted friend can be very helpful in figuring this out. Actually, what you want is a brutally honest friend!
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I didn't drop a size until I hit 30lbs. And it was sudden. Like stretchy gym pants falling off on the treadmill at the gym sudden. All the pants I was still wearing at 28lbs lost were too big and I fit into the next size down..depending on the brand. Everyone's different, but if you have a lot to lose it can work out like this.