Why You should eat Before an AM Work out!

Options
JennaM222
JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
It's embarrassing to admit, but I used to exercise in the morning on an empty stomach. Not only did I worry about getting cramps if I ate, but I also thought it could speed up weight loss. The idea seems logical — if you don't have any food in your belly, your body will start using up stores of fat as its energy source. I'm not the only one. Many bodybuilders and gym goers also believe sweating it out on an empty belly will help burn more fat instead of using up the stores of quick carbs found in the food they've just eaten. This couldn't be further from the truth, and research conducted by Strength and Conditioning Journal shows that calories burned comes from muscle instead.

Not only are you losing muscle by exercising hungry, but since you have no fuel to work out, you won't have the energy to exercise as long or as intensely as you would if you had eaten. This translates to less overall calories burned. In another study, women who consumed 45 grams of carbs before working out actually ended up eating less calories the rest of the day, which also aids in weight loss.

The bottom line is that if you're trying to lose weight, working out without eating is not the way to go about it. In order to maximize your caloric burn, you want to eat a healthy snack before sweating it out in your sports bra. Need some ideas? Keep reading for my favorite preworkout snacks.

Carbs rather than protein offer your body fuel, so make sure your snack has an emphasis on carbs. Simple carbs are best since they digest more easily than complex ones. About 15 to 30 minutes before your workout, try eating:

Half a slice of whole wheat bread with one tablespoon crunchy peanut butter.
An ounce of cheese with some crackers.
Two tablespoons cottage cheese mixed with a quarter cup of sliced grapes.
Handful of pretzels dipped in hummus.
Half an avocado spread on toast or crackers.
Half a banana mixed with half a cup of yogurt.

Replies

• 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!:flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I would like the see a link to the actual article, but if you are doing resistance training it doesn't matter. In fact strength training while fasted it the primary way to keep from losing muscle mass. The may be true for cardio, notice I say may, but it is definitely not true for strength training fasted.
  • jaelwoman
    jaelwoman Posts: 81
    Options
    Great infomation! When I do my harder work out in the morning I have a protein drink and add my oats into it. Fills me up for the long swim session I do and gives my body the added energy it needs to keep going!
  • CraftyJenguin
    CraftyJenguin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Such a good point! I have worked out on an empty stomach before, and I felt like such a slacker. I couldn't do nearly as many reps as normal or with the same weights. I've also had this problem with cardio workouts. I was worried that I might get sit running on a full stomach, but if you don't eat you just don't have enough fuel in the tank to make it to the end. It's all about balance. I definitely learned my lesson. Thanks for spreading the word to others.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..... do I really want to give up whatever calories on peanut butter??? And if I eat in the a.m. I will probably blow chunks all over the person working out next to me! I will try tomorrow!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I think people do whatever works and feels best for them, But for myself, I can totaly notice when I dont eat in the morning and go for a run that I run out of steam faster when I haven't eaten anything. The smallest little handful of crackers or a banana really goes a long way for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that to be true. For almost 2 years I ran in the mornings before getting ready for work. I absolutely can't run with anything on my stomach and since I was already getting up at 5:30 a.m. to get the run in, there was no way I was getting up earlier so I could eat something and wait for it to digest! I usually didn't eat anything until around 9:00 a.m. I didn't have much weight to lose when I started but I did lose a little and developed muscle and was perfectly healthy.

I don't run anymore, but I do Zumba after work and even if my stomach is growling I don't eat before because then I can't do it. I haven't noticed any difference in performance on days I start out hungry and those that I don't. Once I get started I'm just into it.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I think people do whatever works and feels best for them, But for myself, I can totaly notice when I dont eat in the morning and go for a run that I run out of steam faster when I haven't eaten anything. The smallest little handful of crackers or a banana really goes a long way for me.
    I like what you say about doing what works for you. I usually am up at 4:30 and at the gym by 5 to get in a 2-3 hour workout which mostly consist of cardio(probably 85/15% ratio). I am not a morning eater and very seldom do I eat anything. FOR ME, it works and I have lost 40# in 3.5 month. I am always willing to make a change though, and would like to try to incorporate some pre-exercise snacks in my regimen. Thanks again for this post. Friend request if on the way.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, but it is not correct for me. I wake up everyday and take nexium and have to wait an hour before I can eat. I toss in a 30-45 minute DVD or hop on the treadmill. I drink a full glass of water before working out as well. While doing this, I went from 194 to 178 in 2 months.

So although this may not work for you, that doesn't mean it doesn't work at all or shouldn't be done. I find that I eat less during the day when I work out on an empty stomach, whereas if I eat before a workout, I tend to eat more during the day.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I also get up pretty early to get my workout in before work (I'm up between 4:15 and 4:30). I did a whole round of P90X and didn't have anything before working out. I didn't notice any more or less energy. Now, I am doing Insanity, and I am trying to start out eating my super healthy muffins before hand. I have it ready as soon as I wake up and brush my teeth so that while I am getting dressed I am having my muffin...not sure yet if it makes a difference.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I've read both sides of this theory. Personally, I can't eat before a workout as I feel sluggish and usually get indigestion! Even if I eat 2 hours before!

I definitely dont lose (much) muscle as my fat % has dropped and my muscles are more defined (after P90X). But lets just say that everyone loses 'some' muscle on calorie defiict.......

Soooo, I think this is one of those area's that you gotta go with what works for you.

I think the only cardio that (noticably) catabolises muscle is long distance running (check out the physique of marathon runners against sprinters), or long steady state cardio? I think if your workouts ase under an hour then it doesnt make any difference if you eat or not. And some say, you burn more fat if you don't.

I dunno, who believes what they read anyhow! :laugh:
  • ebjr
    ebjr Posts: 7
    Options
    Interesting that i come across this today as i've been thinking about this very topic lately. I have been in and out of the gym for the last few years. 99% of the time in the early morning. However i do notice that if i go on the weekend at say 10am....about an hour or 2 after breakfast, i feel like i have a much more fulfilling workout.
    Unfortunatly, like many that have already posted, i to am up at 530am and simply cannot eat so early in the morning. I don't feel as though im not getting an effective workout but i do feel like it takes me a bit to get in my "zone". I may try getting out of bed 10min earlier and try some peanut butter on wheat toast and see how that goes.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    This is REALLY good to know. I'm ashamed to say that this very morning, I jumped out of bed and started my workout without eating. :( Now I know!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    was that Schoenfeld's study? It applies mainly to endurance workouts meeting or exceeding 2 hours. Research at fed (carb) workouts for an hour or less has mixed results. Actually, some studies show that fasted workouts improves glucose and insulin tolerance, increasted fatty acid oxidation, a decrease in blood glucose, and improvement in VO2 max.