Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweat as an indivation of calories burned?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I also have a friend who never sweats and she works out hard!

Heck, I sweat in the middle of the winter -25c when I am walking outside. And then there is anxiety......
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Yah i agree it is only relevant in the lab setting. But i have noticed that 9 times out of 10 i sweat a lot more as the intensity of my excercise increases . For example doing kettlebell swings with a 25lb kettlebell vs a 53 lb in the same environment. The only time i noticed less sweat with same intensity is when i was dehydrated.
    Well speed and tempo matter too. Swing the 25lb KB twice/three times as fast as the 53lbs one and your intensity could be higher.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    So if I can't determine how much sweat I am producing in the pool, does that mean I'm not working out? It's a little like leaving my FitBit at home. The day clearly didn't count. The day after a weight lifting session, I am constantly feeling warmer, regardless of air temperature, even when I'm spending all my time sitting around. Is this an accurate measure of effort?

OP, I think this is a situation of majoring in the minors. The amount of sweat you are producing is influenced by so many factors that it just isn't possible to control all variables for this to be an effective measure.
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    So if I can't determine how much sweat I am producing in the pool, does that mean I'm not working out? It's a little like leaving my FitBit at home. The day clearly didn't count. The day after a weight lifting session, I am constantly feeling warmer, regardless of air temperature, even when I'm spending all my time sitting around. Is this an accurate measure of effort?

OP, I think this is a situation of majoring in the minors. The amount of sweat you are producing is influenced by so many factors that it just isn't possible to control all variables for this to be an effective measure.

Yes i agree its just a hypothetical that seems to have some relevancy to me specifically most of the time when doing kettlebell swings with different weights at the same tempo. Ive been doing it a while and i definately sweat more 9 out of 10 times when using the larger bell at the same rate at the same gym. Just an observation that seems to work for me because the heavier kettlebell for me is correlated with higher calories burned (weight loss) which is for me corellated with amount of sweat 9 out of 10 times which is very statistically significant.
  • nutmegoreo

Yes i agree its just a hypothetical that seems to have some relevancy to me specifically most of the time when doing kettlebell swings with different weights at the same tempo. Ive been doing it a while and i definately sweat more 9 out of 10 times when using the larger bell at the same rate at the same gym. Just an observation that seems to work for me because the heavier kettlebell for me is correlated with higher calories burned (weight loss) which is for me corellated with amount of sweat 9 out of 10 times which is very statistically significant.

This is self-reported speculation, or are you wearing the same clothing and weighing them after your workout to determine the amount of sweat you produced?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't think so. I sweat buckets exercising outside in summer. Now that it's cold here I barely perspire doing the exact same exercise. My fitbit doesn't give me different readings, it is not however a HR monitor which could make a difference??
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I am not a sweat-er so I disagree with this
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I have always sweat a lot, even as a younger kid when I was in fantastic shape. Yes, I always played hard, but I also tended to sweat more than others my age. When I played baseball or hockey I sweat a lot even as a pre-teen and teenager. Now that I am way overweight I sweat a lot too,
    I will actually find that I stop sweating as much at a certain point into my workout when I start hitting my stride. I am performing better and doing more, but sweating less. If I push harder still I will start sweating more I am sure, but that is usually hitting a point where I can't sustain it as long and it isn't as beneficial to me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    moe0303 wrote: »
    For the love of all that is good, could somebody please fix the typo in the title? It's making my Agent Orange act up.

lol. It's making me nuts too!
  • nutmegoreo
    For the love of all that is good, could somebody please fix the typo in the title? It's making my Agent Orange act up.

Are you sure it was a typo? Wouldn't indivation be some relation to indivisible?
  • Christine_72

Are you sure it was a typo? Wouldn't indivation be some relation to indivisible?

I thought indivation was meant to say Indication. The C is next to the V on the keyboard :wink:
  • nutmegoreo
    edited May 2016

I thought indivation was meant to say Indication. The C is next to the V on the keyboard :wink:

I know, I was being a *babysloth* :bigsmile:
  • Christine_72

I know, I was being a *babysloth* :bigsmile:

:lol:

Babysloth? Is this a new mfp word?
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    If there was a connection between sweat and calories burned, I wouldn't have lost around 70 pounds, despite not sweating during my exercises. I'll pant, breath hard, get my heart rate around up to 180, drink lots of water and still won't sweat. Additionally, I freeze in any grocery store and have to wear a jacket in any temperature under 85. Sweat does NOT determine calories burned.
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    If there was a connection between sweat and calories burned, I wouldn't have lost around 70 pounds, despite not sweating during my exercises. I'll pant, breath hard, get my heart rate around up to 180, drink lots of water and still won't sweat. Additionally, I freeze in any grocery store and have to wear a jacket in any temperature under 85. Sweat does NOT determine calories burned.

Well i guess i mean sweat and calories burned only applies to me 9 out of 10 times.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    So sweat may or may not be an indication of effort put into a work out which may or may not be correlated with calories burned. Perfect. :)

I did find that I was saltier than "average" at the end of sweaty work outs. That's how I realized I needed to up my salt intake!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    I really don't care. I sweat like a man no matter what I do.

But IMHO, sweat has nothing to do with calorie burning. Body temp, hydration, sleep quality, air temp, air quality etc.. all have to with the outcome of the sweat. I will burn roughly the same calories on two different days such as 50 degrees or 70 degrees temp outside. I will work harder on the 70 degree day because the humidity is exhausting, I will sweat more but the calorie burn will be about the same, roughly within 20 - 40 calories. I will burn off more water but that is it.

Sweating is a sign of your body trying to cool itself. As we heat up during exercise or activity, that heat energy has to be let off somehow and that is where sweat comes in. So this is actually a physiological reaction to heat, working to cool the body down. Thermoregulation. When your muscles heat up the body works to cool you down. It is not connected to fat loss or calorie burning..