do you manage to use extra calories

ive just started doing swimming for an hour but i also ride there so thats 2hrs of exercise a day earning around 1100 calories maybe little more and i also get 1810 please help me xxx

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    What is the question.....?
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    I believe it's the age old question of eating back exercise calories.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    If you really are burning that many calories during exercise then you probably should be eating around 2900 calories on those days. That's a lot of exercise that requires a lot of fuel.
  • yea as in i mean how do u mange to eat the exercise calories??? xxx
  • I'd focus on eating as healthy as possible (lean protein, good carbs, veggies, fruit, etc). I wouldn't eat if I weren't hungry.
  • glenna221
    glenna221 Posts: 46
    As a swimmer, I think the calories MFP gives you for swimming are high. You probably want to eat some of those cals back, but see how your body responds. If you are losing between 1.5-2lbs per week consistently, they are are on track! If you aren't losing you might be eating too much back (or even too litle). Your body will tell you.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    First off, are you using an HRM for your swimming? I've heard that the numbers are infated on MFP for swimming. So if your just using the MFP #'s you may not be burning as much as they say.

If your question is: Do you eat all your exercise calories? My answer is no. I never have, and probaby won't until I start maintaining. If I ate back all my exercise calores I'd be eating ALL day. I don't eat unless I am hungry. Eating just to eat is what got me here!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    yea as in i mean how do u mange to eat the exercise calories??? xxx

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't eat them all back if I burned 1000+ in a day. I burn about 500 a day and usually end up with about the number of calories this site says I should. Though actually I get a lot of them by drinking wine with dinner so technically I'm not eating them all back. :drinker:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member

You over ate before to get overweight, yes? That's how. you eat a lot. Or, if you can't eat it, you exercise less.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    I'm assuming that too, because it probably feels like a LOT to be eating back when you're cutting back calories.

Personally, I would be tempted to eat back some of that -- you want to make sure that you're giving your body enough fuel if you're doing 2 hours of swimming! I go with the rule that your net should always end up at least over 1200, and depending on your body size that may need to be more. You may have to play around with it to see what works for you though. I just know that *for me* I almost have always had issues with my weight because I don't eat enough.
  • i do an hour swimming then its an hour in travelling on my bike, soon mounts up. can i ask what hmr means please??? xxx
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    i do an hour swimming then its an hour in travelling on my bike, soon mounts up. can i ask what hmr means please??? xxx
    Heart rate monitor. It will give you a more true calorie burn. 2000 seems like a lot of calories to burn for an hour of swimming and an hour of biking.
  • Heart Rate Monitor :)
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member

You over ate before to get overweight, yes? That's how. you eat a lot. Or, if you can't eat it, you exercise less.

Thats quite rude..... and it isn't as simple as that. Yes, I over ate to get to overweight, but now as a result of that lifestyle change I eat much less, because my appetite has got smaller. I have changed the type of food I eat as well as the quantity and therefore on days when I exercise I often struggle to eat all my calories too. Not only am I NOT hungry, but I also don't want to fill up on empty calories by "just eating some more"

Glenna, I've had the same problem as you, Friday's are tough days for me, I walk to work AND I have a 2 hour karate class so I get an extra 1900+ calories... I NEVER manage to consume them all.... someone has recommended a protein shake which I plan to go out and get this weekend, that would provide another approx 350 calories and if you mix it with milk it will bump up the calories some more too. PLUS as I understand it you should have protein after a workout. I do think that the calories MFP gives you for exercise can sometimes be quite high, so I am for about 50-70% of exercise calories
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Are you saying if you can't eat your exercise calories back then you should exercise less?? That is so wrong. I've was thin and in shape for the first 40 something years of my life. I sure didn't stay that way by eating more or exercising less!
  • right i will tell you how i got overweight, 2 years ago was preg, then was in hosp wiv baby for 7months after his birth. then last year my son died so i just ate what i wanted when i wanted. i burn around 1000 ish doing my exercise xxx
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    .... PLUS as I understand it you should have protein after a workout. I do think that the calories MFP gives you for exercise can sometimes be quite high, so I am for about 50-70% of exercise calories
    :happy:

Yes to this. I also usually assume the calories are about 50-70% of what is claimed (especially if it looks high), I also check against another site online (I do a google search for "how many calories did I burn doing XXXX" {where XXXX is the activity in question})
    I like the ones where you fill in your age,weight,gender as (I feel) it's a little more accurate (but still have to be careful about overestimating your actual intensity level)

Sometimes (if I have time) I will compare 3 or 4 sites and avg the totals (add all the amounts together & divide by the # of totals added) Or just claim the lowest amount I find.

(already suggested above :flowerforyou: ) As for eating exercise cal's back, look for healthy (i.e. preferably non-processed) protein rich/calorie dense foods (nuts, etc) ... I personally like a very _small_ protein -snack- about 30-45 min before I workout, that way my body has somewhat settled into digestion when I start asking it to use those calories+it's stores. It _seems_ to work for me =)

Also definitely try to pay attention to cravings, your body will try to let you know what it needs, we just have to learn what it's (really) asking for! :wink: For example, If you feel like you are craving sweets, then your body might be telling you it needs energy (don't go grab candy though! ha ha) Give it something healthy :smooched: It will learn to love you back :love:

Sorry if I rambled, hoping some of this info is useful! :flowerforyou:
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    I would be very careful about even trying to eat that high an amount of calories:
    a) it could easily make you resort to junk food to get high numbers without feeling too full.
    b) you could easily be overestimating what you burn (seems very high!) and thus end up overeating even when you don't want to.
  • thanks xx