Soylent?

Options
Anyone using Soylent? It's not really intended as a diet product but it seems ideal for me to use as a meal replacement. The pre-mixed bottles are exactly 400 calories and my plan is to drink 2 a day and then eat one normal meal as well staying within my caloric limit. Less stress counting calories and less worrying about what to eat. It has a weird flavor but its not at all unpleasant to me and I actually have begun to crave the next one.

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    What do you plan to replace these liquid meals with once you hit your goal?
  • rickyberkey
    rickyberkey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I rather like the idea of liquid meals and I may well just continue.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    It's people!!!!!

Came here to post this

Yep!
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    What do you plan to replace these liquid meals with once you hit your goal?

A lot of people use it as a meal replacement... period. So there is nothing to replace it with when the weight loss is finished. They just keep drinking the soylent. A friend of mine just drinks it because it has lots of nutrition and it's easier for them than eating regular meals.

I say go for it, see how it works. If it's working for you, stick with it.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    You might check out this episode of the Oh No Ross and Carrie podcast where they tried Soylent.

http://ohnopodcast.com/investigations/2015/6/3/ross-and-carrie-subsist-on-soylent-its-not-people-edition
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    :( Wouldn't you just rather eat 800 calories worth of food? Soylent sounds so boring and awful... If I were going to do a meal replacement with a drink, I'd probably go drink two venti vanilla lattes or something from starbucks everyday rather than slim fast or soylent or whatever else. At least that might taste good. :/ Practically the same thing too (calorie wise, don't know exactly how the macro/micros in soylent compare but it still wouldn't be worth it to me regardless).
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There are some others too, Huel and Joylent are two that I have heard of.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it, but Soylent seems like it would be a great option for an occasional meal replacement. It is basically maltodextrin, oat powder, and rice protein mixed with vitamins and minerals. Nutrition profile for one meal (this might be a slightly different formula than OP's):

SoylentNutritionFacts.jpg

"After sipping a whole package of powder and container of oil blend, you’ll consume 2,000 calories, 50 percent from carbohydrates, 20 percent from protein and 30 from fat, which is in sync with federal Dietary Guidelines for the average American adult."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/pros-and-cons-of-soylent/2014/09/16/09411d3c-386b-11e4-8601-97ba88884ffd_story.html

It sounds like it doesn't taste very good though. There is a Soylent subsection of Reddit where you can read a lot more about how people work with it.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who practically lives on the stuff. The new formula is actually fairly tasteless, so you end up adding things to it to flavor it. It's not bad, but I prefer to eat food. I'd use it in a pinch... *shrug*
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I didn't particularly like the taste of Soylent. It kind of reminded me of the milk that's left over after you eat a bowl of cereal. But I can see adding stuff to it to make it taste better.
  • ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I made a diy version of soylent and have been using it to replace breakfasts and sometimes lunches at work. It keeps me from grabbing fast food for lunch. If it works for you, keep it up!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    It's people!!!!!

Came here to post this

Same
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    food < food
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    When you use the word diet you're using the wrong words and also the wrong mental approach. What your in the process of doing is a lifestyle change. Most diets fail because people get bored of them and with a diet you're sacrificing the stuff that you love. Plus the human body is made to consume solid food. You're basically talking about a liquid diet.

For this lifestyle change to work you have to educate yourself as far as food and portion size. By learning what portion sizes truely means, once you reach your goal you begin to think about everything that you eat and how it's going to affect you. At some point you're going to get
    tired of drinking the liquid, what are you going to do then? That's why diets don't work.

• rickyberkey
    rickyberkey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have no intention of living only on Soylent but as a daily replacement for a couple of meals it is remarkable and I actually like the taste. I will continue to use it even as i eventually reach my weight goal. It is quick and easy (the pouch mix is still available but I use the pre-mixed 400 cal bottles) and the calories are easy to keep track of. Give it a try if you like but I understand that it's simply not for everyone.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have no intention of living only on Soylent but as a daily replacement for a couple of meals it is remarkable and I actually like the taste. I will continue to use it even as i eventually reach my weight goal. It is quick and easy (the pouch mix is still available but I use the pre-mixed 400 cal bottles) and the calories are easy to keep track of. Give it a try if you like but I understand that it's simply not for everyone.

Glad to hear that it is working for you! Thanks for the update.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I prefer fewer chemicals and more whole foods. I would read the fine print to see what you are actually consuming. You are what you eat. Weight loss is a great goal. Weight loss at the expense of your health may not be a smart idea.