What is "vhicken"?

I ordered a vhicken curry thinking it was chicken with a typo, but the container has vhicken written on it...it's a new one on me and it's very nice, but i don't know what it is. Some kind of vegetarian or vegan chicken substitute? Can anyone enlighten me?! Thanks

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,147 Member
    edited May 2016
    I would guess it's vegetarian/vegan approved chicken made from soy or tofu, sort of like tofurky.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    yeah, it sounds like a vegetarian "chicken" option to me. That's kind of cool. I'd like to try that. :)

Sometimes you'll see it typed as "chik-n" too. They can be made of soy, wheat protein, or mycoprotein (made from mushrooms/fungus).
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    It could easily just be a typo since "v" is right beside "c" on the QWERTY keyboard.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    It could easily just be a typo since "v" is right beside "c" on the QWERTY keyboard.

to quote OP "but the container has vhicken written on it."
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2016
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »

to quote OP "but the container has vhicken written on it."

"Written" could be typed or hand-written by someone copying type.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    its kinda easy to tell the difference between real chicken and a substitute
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    It's a new religion.
  • Stripeymitten
    Stripeymitten Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks. It's definitely not chicken (that much I know). It's got the texture of extremely dense scrambled egg. But I don't think it's egg. Still, it's nice enough.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Thanks. It's definitely not chicken (that much I know). It's got the texture of extremely dense scrambled egg. But I don't think it's egg. Still, it's nice enough.

Sounds like textured vegetable protein to me.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,649 Member
    I would bet it's vital wheat gluten, the main ingredient in seitan -- and sooo delicious if done well!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,724 Member
    What does the ingredient list say?