30DS moving on...or not?

Options
martymum
martymum Posts: 413 Member
Hi

I started the 30 DS just done day 9. I'm 185lbs (5ft 2). I have been going to curves 3x week since Nov and decided to kick it up a notch...

I do have right knee pain... no injury just fatness and 20 years of lifting and standing as an NHS nurse.

I can keep up with everything except jumping jacks and jump rope...they cause pain just above my right knee...I am looking for advice on whether to continue level 1 until the pain settles (pain only during those 2 moves then stops) or to move on after day 10 and continue to do those 2 moves best I can??

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated:happy:

martyxxx

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Well, there is nothing set in stone saying you NEED to do 10 days at each level.

I would suggest doing whatever you think your body can handle.

I know that I don't even have knee problems, and level 2 kicked my *kitten*.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and try 2 if you think 1 is easy, but if you are in to much pain go back to 1.
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I would move on, just to keep you sain! by the time i get to day 7 im ready to move up a level! but just do something that does hurt, for example sometimes when my knee hurts i just jog on the spot instead of jumping jacks x
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I did level 1 for 90 days, and have amazing results... so do whatever feel comfortable. If level 1 still causes you pain, I say wait it out... but honestly, either way would probably be fine.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I do have right knee pain... no injury just fatness and 20 years of lifting and standing as an NHS nurse.

I would be careful.
    I know people think it is all about the mental and "going beyond yourself" but if the pain is real, physical, then you MIGHT end up breaking your body and the mind will not follow anyway, should it want it or not.

So to be less cryptic:
    - As an example, when doing weight lifting, there is a "learning curve". Lifting a weight takes a group of muscles, bones, strong tendons, etc. If one was trying to weight as much as they can the first month, they would only injure themselves.
    - I know some people who were doing a lot of running, got a pain in the knee, pushed themselves harder, and ended up not being able to run for 1 month.
    - Being overweight put a lot of strain on your joints. Especially if you are not used to a lot of physical activity.

Not trying to scare you here, just saying that I would not push myself too hard to start with, see how it goes and maybe consult if the pain remains after the body adapts.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    There are jumping jacks and jump rope (even double jump rope) in the above levels, and there's not really an easier option for them either. So, moving on certainly won't help. Just keep moving while they are doing those moves that hurt. Do shadow boxing while they are jump roping. Just keep that heart rate up and you'll be fine. It's still a great workout, and it'd be terrible for you to miss out just because of two moves that cause you pain. Good luck, I loved the shred and I loved my results.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    thanks guys...

Think I will get some tubigrip to support my knee and aim for 14 days on each level to see how my knee goes.

Hopefully the more weight I lose the less my knee will hurt!!

martyxxx
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Modify your movements. Is it on both knees? those are the cardio parts so just do some other crazy cardio that doesnt hurt your knees. There is a lot of knee bending and jumping happening on the 30 day shred though.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I started level 2 this week and it has a lot less jumping than level one. The excercises are more difficult overall, but it is easier on your knees. I say go for it....you can always go back to level one if you need to.