Hit my goal weight, but I'm still not happy with how I look! 5'3 155 to 135

Options
2»

Replies

• yasef13
    yasef13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do strength videos at home, and I started with 2 lb Dumbbells. After couple weeks I started using the 5 lbs on certain exercises. After about two months I can do whole workouts with the 5 lbs and now at 3 months of consistent exercise Im adding in 8 lb Dumbbells. You have to start somewhere. Great job on the loss! You look great.
    That's awesome. Are there any particular strength videos you recommend? I'm thinking of starting as soon as possible. I do have my son's dumbbell set, so that's a plus. ;)

• ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with deciding on a new goal. I'm also 5'3 and I didn't start to like how I looked until I got down to about 120.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You are looking good. A little strength training will help re sculpt.

Here are 2 workouts to get you started. Both are simple and can be done at home.
    Start slow and easy breaking them down and learning the moves then work towards completing the work out.

The body work out simplify the moves, squat to a low stool to get form, push-ups against the wall or a table until you can do them on the floor.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

The hand weights. If you have to make notes and do it a little slower to begin with, no problem, work towards working along with the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Both workouts are great for strengthening muscle and building a bit of confidence before joining the gym and lifting using a progressive, compound programme like a 5x5 or All Pro.

Cheers, h.
  • dux1fan
    dux1fan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else.. bodyweight training or/and up the weight on your dumb bells at home! Good luck. You can get there!
  • engagingbliss
    engagingbliss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have to have a lot of testosterone to get big...no fears.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    oneallmama wrote: »
    trinairby wrote: »
    I think you look great too. I can definitely see a difference.
    My question is why are you not happy with your results? Do you still have more fat you'd like to lose? Have you tried lifting weights, or did you do just cardio?

I guess it's my arms I'm not happy with? They still seem like they could be smaller. My husband bought me 1 lb weights but they don't seem heavy enough to do anything.

You are not a barbie. 1lb dumb bells aren't going to do anything when you're used to carrying a 20 lb purse. Get to a gym and start strength training. You'll love your arms once you start building muscle.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! This is a common theme in weight loss and fitness journeys alike. People set a goal, and then by the time they reach their goal they've already mentally set a new one and are less than satisfied. Personally, I had an "ideal body" in mind when I started lifting. Now, I've far surpassed that (and all the PR goals that I set) and I'm pushing even further - more defined abs, stronger back, rear delt definition, larger glutes, more defined quads and hamstrings...the list goes on and on. It's human nature to consistently try to become better and strive for "perfection" but do not let that get you down. Look at how far you've come and how beautiful you are, and how healthy you feel! That is what matters!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    oneallmama wrote: »
    trinairby wrote: »
    I think you look great too. I can definitely see a difference.
    My question is why are you not happy with your results? Do you still have more fat you'd like to lose? Have you tried lifting weights, or did you do just cardio?

I guess it's my arms I'm not happy with? They still seem like they could be smaller. My husband bought me 1 lb weights but they don't seem heavy enough to do anything.

You are not a barbie. 1lb dumb bells aren't going to do anything when you're used to carrying a 20 lb purse. Get to a gym and start strength training. You'll love your arms once you start building muscle.

^^^ As stated, lifting helps significantly with body image. You will feel strong, be able to beat your previous "heaviest weight" which builds confidence, and your body will look taught and toned. It's a total myth that "lifting heavy" makes women look less feminine. It builds definition and curves. I squat 190 lbs., shoulder press 30 lbs. and lat pull 65 lbs. but still not "blocky and bulky". 1 lb. dumb bells will literally do nothing. Start with 5 lbs. and build your way up.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    yasef13 wrote: »
    I do strength videos at home, and I started with 2 lb Dumbbells. After couple weeks I started using the 5 lbs on certain exercises. After about two months I can do whole workouts with the 5 lbs and now at 3 months of consistent exercise Im adding in 8 lb Dumbbells. You have to start somewhere. Great job on the loss! You look great.
    That's awesome. Are there any particular strength videos you recommend? I'm thinking of starting as soon as possible. I do have my son's dumbbell set, so that's a plus. ;)

I mostly do Tone It Up videos on YouTube.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You are looking good. A little strength training will help re sculpt.

Here are 2 workouts to get you started. Both are simple and can be done at home.
    Start slow and easy breaking them down and learning the moves then work towards completing the work out.

The body work out simplify the moves, squat to a low stool to get form, push-ups against the wall or a table until you can do them on the floor.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

The hand weights. If you have to make notes and do it a little slower to begin with, no problem, work towards working along with the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Both workouts are great for strengthening muscle and building a bit of confidence before joining the gym and lifting using a progressive, compound programme like a 5x5 or All Pro.

Cheers, h.

Thank you! @middlehaitch Nice to have the youtube vid when I'm not at the gym swimming..appreciate the link :smiley:
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You did a beautiful job and congratulations on your success you look like two totally different people especially your smile in the second picture.

You have to determine how much more you want to loose. That comes with time and you'll figure it out by yourself but I would definitely recommend lifting weights. My only contradiction is instead of going heavy you should go lighter with more reps (13-16) it'll will tone and firm you and it also becomes a cardio type workout to. Swimming is also a great exercise for toning and Firming.

One last point. We are our worst enemy and biggest critic when it comes to judging our own appearance.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!