becoming vegetarian

Options
Texeira11
Texeira11 Posts: 32 Member
I want become vegetarian for the longest time. For some reason now I can't smell meats or eat meats without throwing up. I know it's not easy and it would take times to get use to it.. any suggestions how to start off, and if any vitamins I should take?

Replies

• bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It should be very easy if meats make you feel that way. Just makes sure to get proteins from non meat sources such as nuts, beans, legumes, quinoa, etc Good luck!
  • Texeira11
    Options
    Np Thank you!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    vitamin b12, omega 3, protein. quinoa, dark leafies, yogurt, eggs are a few staples you'll want to consider along with nuts and beans.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    If meat makes you feel sick, how hard can giving it up be? Sounds like a great plan to me.
  • badgerface1k
    badgerface1k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The thing to know about veggies is that they are coated in E. Coli bacteria because the migrant workers who pick the vegetables defecate in the field so they don't have to stop working to use a restroom. There are people who have dropped dead because E. Coli can cause kidney failure. I personally will never eat fruits and vegetables ever again.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A balanced meat-free diet should be fine. No need for supplements; those are only needed if you decide to cut out all animal products. As mentioned before: lots of veggies (do not replace the meat by more pasta), milk products, quinoa, seitan, tofu, beans, legumes and nuts.
  • emstewart95
    emstewart95 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Quorn products are delicious if you do ever 'miss' eating meat
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The thing to know about veggies is that they are coated in E. Coli bacteria because the migrant workers who pick the vegetables defecate in the field so they don't have to stop working to use a restroom. There are people who have dropped dead because E. Coli can cause kidney failure. I personally will never eat fruits and vegetables ever again.

Cant tell if this was meant as a joke :-). Commercial growers spray crops with ammonia and water after picking. Any vegetable can have e colli even one you grow in your own garden if you use compost. Washing cures that.

Meat could have mad cow or salmonella etc. All avoidable with proper food handling.

• Taylorgo90
    Taylorgo90 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started with quinoa when I really wanted some meat. Quinoa contains more than 8 grams of protein per cup, including all nine essential amino acids. I just love it.
  • Texeira11
    Options
    I am considering dropping off Meat products.
    Sixel wrote: »
    A balanced meat-free diet should be fine. No need for supplements; those are only needed if you decide to cut out all animal products. As mentioned before: lots of veggies (do not replace the meat by more pasta), milk products, quinoa, seitan, tofu, beans, legumes and nuts.

• Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think what @sixel meant was animal products such as milk, cheese, eggs etc. not just meat products. If you still eat those you will be fine. Although it is perfectly possible to have a vegan diet without the need for supplements too if you do your research.

Just don't cut out meat and do nothing else / carry on eating everything else as normal. You need to replace the meat with things that have an equal nutritional value.

I've been veggie for around 9 years if you want to add me as a friend; I'd be happy to help.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Sure this is some form of sarcasm or something because surely you know beef is probably the biggest cause of E. Coli poisonings due to being undercooked.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!