restaurant portions

Options
perkymommy
perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Since getting back on this journey of losing weight I've noticed just how huge portions sizes of food are in restaurants. My husband can seriously go in and eat everything on his plate whereas I have to have a to-go box with mine, depending on what I get. I rarely eat out but we were on vacation this past weekend.

Consumers are tricked in to thinking they aren't getting their money's worth if they get a plate with the right portion sizes and it's sad. :( That's why there are so many overweight people in America and those with health concerns. For instance, a BBQ restaurant my husband and I ate at over the weekend while on vacation. He got brisket and fries and I got BBQ chopped with slaw and beans. IMO, the portion sizes were great because it wasn't a lot but he said it wasn't worth the money he paid. The next evening we had a burger and fries delivered to our room. I ate a quarter of my burger and the next day ate another portion of it for lunch and tossed out almost half of the burger because I didn't want it. It was huge. I barely even made a dent in the fries either and wasted those. Another example of too much food for one person in one sitting. It still hasn't clicked with my husband just yet on how much food is given to us when eating out. It's easily enough for 2-3 people to share off one dish at most places. :( He wants to get his "money's worth" whereas I just want to eat the amount that is enough for a meal and not worried about getting a lot of food just because of what I paid for it.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I remember talking about this 20 years ago.
    I was told, it pretty much costs the same to make a giant plate than a small plate.
    Most of the cost is in manpower, cooking, cleaning, etc.
    And since customers are happier with a bigger plate.....
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You could always try a cup of soup and a side salad. At least it would preclude you throwing out perfectly good food.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The restaurant needs to attract customers. More food for the same amount of money as other local restaurants means more customers. That's just the way it works. That sets up an arms race to make the portions bigger than your competition.

If realistic portion sizes would put them out of business, the restaurant won't use realistic portion sizes.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I do like leftovers; but if it's on a cardio day that food is gone!
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, some chain restaurants started doing 'small plates' in imitation of the urban 'tapas' trend. Some of them still have that on their menu, but lots got rid of it.
    I love that trend and wish it would stick around. There were usually some great lower-calorie options on there.

Personally, I'd pay the same amount of money for a smaller amount of food, if it meant I didn't eat too much or have to deal with or throw away leftovers. But as a calorie counter with a small frame and not enough cardio/muscle to justify large restaurant meals, I guess I'm in the strict minority! I just eat at restaurants a lot less often than I used to.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you are eating, too. The finer dining establishments usually have smaller portions - I can easily eat my whole entree, with a salad and appetizer, without feeling stuffed. If I am eating at a chain restaurant, I prefer to choose one that posts nutritional value so at least I know what I am getting calorie wise. But I got off topic. Order what you want, eat until you are no longer get hungry, and toss the rest. I agree with you that a lot of places have ridiculously large portions.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    brynnsmom wrote: »
    Depends on where you are eating, too. The finer dining establishments usually have smaller portions - I can easily eat my whole entree, with a salad and appetizer, without feeling stuffed. If I am eating at a chain restaurant, I prefer to choose one that posts nutritional value so at least I know what I am getting calorie wise. But I got off topic. Order what you want, eat until you are no longer get hungry, and toss the rest. I agree with you that a lot of places have ridiculously large portions.

This is true. A lot of the local nice indy eateries in my town serve portions that I can enjoy completely. I love the feeling of cleaning my plate while knowing I didn't over eat!
  • CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah true, and drink portions too. In the 80's the small was small - now small is an 80's size large. Large is really xtra-large, and then we have Xtra-Large for anyone who wants half a gallon of whatever you're drinking .... it really is ridiculous.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    sylkates wrote: »
    A few years ago, some chain restaurants started doing 'small plates' in imitation of the urban 'tapas' trend. Some of them still have that on their menu, but lots got rid of it.
    I love that trend and wish it would stick around. There were usually some great lower-calorie options on there.

Personally, I'd pay the same amount of money for a smaller amount of food, if it meant I didn't eat too much or have to deal with or throw away leftovers. But as a calorie counter with a small frame and not enough cardio/muscle to justify large restaurant meals, I guess I'm in the strict minority! I just eat at restaurants a lot less often than I used to.

I eat at restaurants less often, too! But when I do, I think I do prefer the "normal" American sized portion. I've been known to ask "where's the rest of it?!" :(
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would much rather get the gigantic portion sizes, because the cost of labor involved means the price does not decrease equally with the amount of food given. It is very much "not getting your moneys worth".
    Just because you are given gigantic portions does not mean you need to eat that much in one sitting.

I would gladly pay $7 for half of a $14 entree, but I don't want to pay $10 for half of a $14 entree.