Les mills body pump

...I'm not going to be able to pick up a pencil tomorrow, am I?
What a great class.

Replies

• kissesw93
    kissesw93 Posts: 3 Member
    Took my first one yesterday. Loved it but I'm feeling it today
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Bwahaha, I first read this as Les Miles and was like, really?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I took a BP class once. My quads made me pay for it for days.
    I found I can't really do the class without major modifications. The biggest being that I cannot put a barbell behind my head. My arms can't go back far enough. Can only get my hands as far back as my ears. Arthritis, not stretching. If there was a curved bar I could use that could be done. Or clamp on grip extenders that look like bicycle seat posts clamped to the bar.
    I also learned not to over estimate what one can do in the class by referencing what one can lift in the weight room. Two very different things.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I took a BP class once. My quads made me pay for it for days.
    I found I can't really do the class without major modifications. The biggest being that I cannot put a barbell behind my head. My arms can't go back far enough. Can only get my hands as far back as my ears. Arthritis, not stretching. If there was a curved bar I could use that could be done. Or clamp on grip extenders that look like bicycle seat posts clamped to the bar.
    I also learned not to over estimate what one can do in the class by referencing what one can lift in the weight room. Two very different things.

Can you use dumbbells instead and place them on your shoulders. Not sure what your limits are.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Holy moly, i'm still really sore.
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    I do bodypump 3 times a week. A pure addict. I remember my first class. Presses. Squats. Lunges. What the hell?!?! Now I love the challenge of 'what if I just add that little bit more on'. Leaving a large pool of sweat after stretching is always the goal. It has transformed me. I'm the fittest I've ever been.
    How hot is the 97 release? That shoulder track is murder!!
  • caitlinrn83
    mrsf15h wrote: »
    How hot is the 97 release? That shoulder track is murder!!

Holy macaroni and cheese. That shoulder run about did me in on Friday!!

• mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    That shoulder run about did me in on Friday!!

It does me in every class. I haven't been able to get every single rep. But this week shall be the week. All reps in the shoulder track!
  • caitlinrn83
    mrsf15h wrote: »
    All reps in the shoulder track!

Tomorrow! I will succeed tomorrow! And you've got this!
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    I'm thinking about trying this class. I've been doing free weights on my own but I like the idea of a group class. :)
  • caitlinrn83
    I'm thinking about trying this class. I've been doing free weights on my own but I like the idea of a group class. :)

If you have a gym that offers it, DO IT! The motivation from others in the class makes it so much better than trying to do it on your own, and if you have a good instructor, s/he will make sure that you're using correct form so that you don't get hurt.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I would say body pump and lifting on your own (especially doing a progressive overload strength program) are completely different beasts. If you prefer lifting heavy body pump is not the class for you. If you like super high rep than you'll like the class.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member

If you have a gym that offers it, DO IT! The motivation from others in the class makes it so much better than trying to do it on your own, and if you have a good instructor, s/he will make sure that you're using correct form so that you don't get hurt.

Unfortunately, my current gym doesn't offer any classes! That's why it's only $15/month I guess. ;) I am thinking about getting a free day pass for 24 hour fitness to try this class. Hmm
  • caitlinrn83
    I would say body pump and lifting on your own (especially doing a progressive overload strength program) are completely different beasts. If you prefer lifting heavy body pump is not the class for you. If you like super high rep than you'll like the class.

I would definitely agree.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    I loved body pump, and can't wait to get back to it. I am getting my knee replaced in a few weeks, so it is going to be a good few months. I remember the first time I took it, I was super sore for over a week, like the kind of sore I didn't know was possible. You think today is bad, wait until tomorrow lol. It's worth it though, it changes your body so fast. Soon you will be wanting to lift heavy one or two times oer week.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2016
    I love LM Body Pump! I tried it when I first joined my gym a couple of years ago and loved it. I attend the class 4Xs per week. It really changed my body composition for the better. I'm old so I wanted something that would help retain my muscle mass as I age. There's actually a 91 year old woman in my class. She's my idol.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    I do Pump weekly and improve every time I do it. It's great. The only problem I have is during the squat track. I could load up pretty heavy and squat all day (ok, not ALL day :smile: ) but the bar KILLS my shoulders. I guess I'm kind of boney in that area and it just feels brutal. Like, by the end of the track I feel like I must be bruised. Does anyone else have that problem?
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    I do Pump weekly and improve every time I do it. It's great. The only problem I have is during the squat track. I could load up pretty heavy and squat all day (ok, not ALL day :smile: ) but the bar KILLS my shoulders. I guess I'm kind of boney in that area and it just feels brutal. Like, by the end of the track I feel like I must be bruised. Does anyone else have that problem?
    Not the same but it does give me pins and needles in my hands! Not sure why??
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member

Invest in a barbell cushion/pad. They're cheap and comfortable. Here's a link:

https://google.com/search?q=Cushion+for+bar+bell&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Cushion+for+barbell&tbm=shop