Question For Walkers

Options
What kind of walking do you do to get those high calorie burns? I walk but am lucky to get 100 -200 and getting discouraged. I do have to be careful so I don't trigger my asthma. If you walk several miles do you do it all at once (ie:walk 5 miles all at once)?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I walk on a treadmill usually, and I get my burn up by pushing myself to go as fast as I can for as long as I can. Obviously with asthma you need to be careful.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 3 miles at a time; my long walks are over 5 miles. I have mild asthma but I have found that losing some weight has almost eliminated my symptoms. But definitely check with your doctor about exercising with more severe asthma.
  • rosieandroo
    rosieandroo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I live in an area with loooads of hills (my home is at the very top of one of the steepest hills in town..) so I find that adds a lot to a walk. I try to go as fast as I can, although frankly I'm usually walking to and from work. If I'm walking to work, I can only go so fast without feeling like I need to shower once I get there! My walks tend to be 3 miles. I get what you're saying about the calorie burn sometimes being disheartening, but I find that it all adds up. For example, I go for a walk when I get up in the morning that burns 100 calories and takes about 20 minutes, I walk to and from work, I go for an evening walk that takes about 30 minutes, and before I know it's all added up to a significant and useful amount. Plus, calories aside, there will be benefits to your health, especially if you're getting your heart beating a little faster.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that MFP and MapMyFitness (the exercise app I use) greatly overestimate calories burned. For example, it told me that I burned 896 calories from a 5.4 mile walk (1 hour 24 minutes). That's just not right; if anything, I'm burning half that. Needless to say I almost never eat back my exercise calories because I never know exactly how much I'm burning.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'd rather walk for a longer amount of time slower than faster for a shorter amount of time - for me, a continuous walk is more effective than a couple shorter ones, but i have friends who do a couple shorter walks and are happy with the results.

i don't track miles, just time.
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies! i just get a little discouraged when i see others have burned 600 calories or more walking and tend to wonder if it's worth it. mfp only allows me 1240 calories so i like to have extra to play with. my doctor knows i'm trying to get the weight off and said walking is great but i am to stop if my breathing gets weird.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my watch has a bug in the current software that seems to approximately double the calories it "awards me" or "measures" from walking. Since I'm not the only one with a Fenix 3, you might be seeing the same thing from other people.

It would take me at least 2 hours to burn 600 calories from walking. It's pretty rare that I'll just go for a walk for that long. I like to go hiking and spend a lot more time out than that, but not around the neighborhood...
  • breeze_brat
    Options
    thanks NorthCascades!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is a screenshot of my fitbit dashboard. Pretty much all of my steps over 3,000 are from deliberate power walking.I got an extra 1000 calories on mfp for this..
    shtd8akt7s9w.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do a .75 mile lap walk/jogging with my dog around my complex. It usually takes me 15-20 minutes and I get anywhere from 120-150 calories depending on my HR ( I have a Charge HR) I find that its actually pretty accurate for me. I typically do this once or twice a day. I do it so I can have all the fruit and reddi whip ;) lol Probably not the best way to use those calories but I'm starting to feel better during my walks and the calorie reward is worth it for me.
  • chipdogwa
    chipdogwa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is approx. 100 per mile. A 300lb person would burn about 150 per mile. Adjust accordingly to your weight.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Just in case no one has mentioned it, your calories burned for most exercises has to do with your current weight. If you weigh 110 lbs and walk for an hour at 3 mph, you burn about 215 calories, but if you do that same walk and weigh 310 lbs, you burn more like 615 calories. This is because it takes more energy to move the increased weight. If you weigh 110 lbs and would like to burn more calories on the same walk, wear a 40 lb backpack. The calories burned in mfp auto adjusts for this based on the weight you enter.
  • breeze_brat
    Options
    i dance every Friday night (slow, fast, square, line) and only burn around 400 in 4 hours. guess i gotta try and up my game.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I walk a little over 5 miles every morning in about 70 mins. I don't mind the weather. Rain, shine, cold, hot...I don't mind. I'll give it a miss during thunderstorms (but there fairly rare in the AM.) I'm a morning exerciser. If I wait until after work there's too much temptation not to do it. I calculate my net calorie use at between 500-600 calories.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I walk to Leslie Sansone's videos and always burn over 300 calories. Today I did 2 miles and burned 488 calories according to my Heart Monitor. I love her videos, check them out if you want to shake up your routine. I cannot walk outdoors where I live so these are a great way for me to get my workouts.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people overestimate their calorie burns. I count 48 calories per mile for walking 3.5 mph (.3 x my body weight). You do burn more if walking at an incline, but it's hard to say how much.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    dawnj87 wrote: »
    I walk to Leslie Sansone's videos and always burn over 300 calories. Today I did 2 miles and burned 488 calories according to my Heart Monitor. I love her videos, check them out if you want to shake up your routine. I cannot walk outdoors where I live so these are a great way for me to get my workouts.

488 calories from a 2-mile Leslie Sansone walk doesn't sound right to me. I love her videos, but that's a very high calorie burn for two miles.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Many of the calories from waking are crazy. I mostly consider walking cals as bonus burn and don't intentionally eat them back. I usually take 2-3 walks a day to get 10,000 steps. Heavy people and younger people will get a higher burn rate.