Chocolate Obsessed

Options
Katrina342
Katrina342 Posts: 28 Member
I have a bit of a problem with chocolate, and I need your help!

I can be having a really good day or even week, eating well and getting lots of exercise. Then usually something happens and I decide I want some chocolate. The problem is that I don't just eat a bit of chocolate and then continue my healthy week, I eat the whole block until i feel sick.

Does anyone have any advice for me? People have encouraged me to just set a limit and only eat that, which is good advice, but I'm still working on that self control and that doesn't work very often at the moment.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Buy only small piece at a time until you control yourself.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Find a substitute so you can walk away from the binge.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    You might be craving magnesium or iron or one of the other nutrients in chocolate.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to steer completely clear of chocolate since it's pretty much 'all or nothing' for you. Aside from that, you just have to practice self-control. Do something that takes your mind off of whatever it is that causes you to decide to eat some chocolate. Clearly it isn't healthiest mindset to have when you have to eat an entire thing of chocolate until you feel sick, so replacing it with something more conducive to your health goals would be most helpful.

Worst case scenario, if this isn't an every week thing, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes I'll buy a box of 6 ice cream drumsticks and devour the entire box in two days, then I don't want ice cream for another month. I log it, and then move on.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate (a lot) and have found the double chocolate chunk Quest bars to be pretty good. My husband finds them too sweet/candy like (they are super low in sugar) but he doesn't have as much of a sweet tooth as I do. Plus they are individually wrapped and only about 180 calories. And they have lots of protein and fiber.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of buying smaller quantities.
  • aprilgroom9
    aprilgroom9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue with chocolate. My problem is I don't eat until I'm sick, I eat for days and days and days...that sometimes turns into weeks of having a candy bar every day. That can be up to 250 calories a day of unnecessary calories. I just bought some miniature dark chocolate that I am only allowing myself 3 a day so if I eat them in the morning then I am done for the day. I am starting with three and eventually I am hoping to break down to 2 and then 1 a day. I know I won't ever be able to break the habit because the sweet tooth is too strong but I'm hoping this will help control it. I'm on day 3 and doing good and hopefully I can keep up with it. I will let you know how I do.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm that way with milk chocolate. Dark chocolate I can control. I like to keep around some Sanders dark chocolate sea salt caramels (70 cal) or dark chocolate covered espresso beans (about 50 cal for a dozen). That 85% stuff is just too harsh (makes good cocoa through!)

I'm now to the point where I can handle milk chocolate, but I MUST put away the bag/bar after I have taken my measured portion then go sit down to eat it, otherwise my hand is back in the bag before I even realize what I'm doing. I have found the urge to go face first into the remaining chocolate goes away quickly if I make myself wait a few minutes to enjoy the flavor of the portion I just ate then have a drink of water or tea.
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I absolutely love chocolate and have found the best thing for me is to incorporate it throughout my day. For breakfast I have a chocolate chia seed pudding (chia seeds, soy milk, cocoa, cinnamon, sweetener - whisked together and left in the fridge overnight), I have a chocolate and banana protein shake as part of my lunch and I have a chocolate protein cake for dessert in the evening. This way I'm getting copious amounts of chocolate and feel like I have lots of treats, but it's not putting me over my calories and it helps towards my protein too :)
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble with portion control and the "have a little bit every day to not deprive yourself" way doesn't work for you, try protein bars and/or shakes.

You're still getting your chocolate bar or chocolate "milkshake" but it's packed with lots of nutrients to keep you full. It also helps me portion control because it doesn't have that "omg I must eat more of this" effect quite the same.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    distraction -- drink a glass of water followed by a walk outside (and no, walking to the candy store doesn't count).

and, I like the chocolate chia seed pudding ^^^ idea -- stealing that one.
  • freyjabibby
    freyjabibby Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find that dark chocolate (85% cocoa) gives me the lovely chocolate hit I want but because it's quite bitter it's difficult to binge on, so I can just have one or two small squares. For me, 85% is the sweet spot, below 85% is binge-able, above 85% is not enjoyable.
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I buy really dark chocolate (think 80-90%) and have a square when I crave it . It's too bitter to eat the whole bar. Or I use Chocolate pb2 which usually hits the spot
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like cacao nibs with nuts or coconut. It is chocolate (sort of) but it is easier to control myself.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I don't like chocolate....... :p
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't develop a craving for frozen chocolate, you can store it in the freezer. I limit the amount of readily edible chocolate in the house but keep cocoa on hand to make my own if I need it. The cooking time is a handy brake mechanism from automatic, mindless eating.

My daughter and I went on a chocolate cooking blitz this weekend. We made two types of energy bars using agave syrup with cocoa and coconut oil, coating quinoa and millet puffed cereal. (My daughter is restricting dairy, refined sugar, and gluten in an attempt to get on top of her digestive issues). I also made black bean brownies and a chocolate torte made from ground up walnuts, sunflower seeds, and banana and topped with medjool dates. They all taste good.

So much for limiting how much is around....I'm hoping the freezer will slow me down. That and I'm giving a good portion of it away.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are a few foods I had to pretty much give up, because I simply could not eat them in reasonable quantities. For instance, if I bought chips and dip, the bag/jar would be gone in one or 2 settings. I don't really miss it, tbh, though I have occasionally I have indulged when I was having an especially tough time.
  • dropitlikeasquat87
    dropitlikeasquat87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If I have a milk chocolate candy bar in the house, I'm probably going to eat it. But if I have some super dark chocolate, I'll have a square so the chocolate craving will go away. I'd say get the darkest chocolate you will eat, I usually buy 70%, and that way it'll be harder to overeat it bc it's less sweet. I'm just assuming you don't eat super dark chocolate already. Or you could get some chocolate protein powder and make a shake.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    fudge pops buy the smallest box 8 per pack. and 40 calories per pop. takes me a minute to eat and still get chocolate. it helps me.