So frustrated with myself

Options
I ate all my calories today, but I had a crappy day and keep getting the urge to eat more food. I haven't given in to it, but I cant stop feeling the urge. I'm not hungry and dont really want the food, I just want to eat anyway. I know, pathetic. You can make fun. I'm just frustrated with my mind. It seems I dont do well on my plan for more than three days at a time. I promised myself that would stop. Also, I was tired from falling asleep late Sunday night, so today after work training I made the crappy decision to take a nap, which means I'll be up all night and probably starving. I always use this crap as an excuse not to stick to calories, I'm stupid.

Replies

• dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get you down. Pick yourself up and try again tomorrow. I often have days like that where I just feel like I want to eat, even though I'm not hungry. I believe that's why I have gained all this weight. We all just need motivation and support from eachother in order to succeed. Good Luck!
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to drink warm chai tea w/ one half n half creamer (10 cals) & Splenda when I get snacky...it helps me better than water;)
  • heart4sole
    heart4sole Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do you like tea? Perhaps you could sip a cup of tea. I love chamomile tea. It is also relaxing.By the way , you are not stupid, you are just having an off day. Tomorrow will be better. ; )
  • MeganMeCrazy247
    MeganMeCrazy247 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've done this so many times too, you're not the only one out there! Tea sounds really good, I usually crunch on ice chips. It helps me with the chew factor.
  • dawnj87
    Options
    Watch the ice, eating too much ice contributes to Anemia.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Your self talk is what's causing you issues, your negativity is really sad. If you constantly berate and belittle yourself it's going to be really tough to do something that makes you feel good because you don't actually want yourself to feel good.

I feel it's pretty key to success to believe in yourself and talk to yourself positively to get there. I am very aware this is easier said than done! Perhaps start by finding one good thing about yourself every day and consciously acknowledging it. I know this sounds airy fairy and I'm not saying you have to say it out loud or write it down self affirmation stylee but just give yourself a moment to like something about you every day.

I also just get up and do a little circuit of my flat and say hi to the cats when I feel like I want to eat. Gulp some water down. It serves as a distraction. I did it a lot in the beginning, now it's much better!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Not stupid, human.

Eating is not just about nutrition, there's all kinds of social and psychological aspects to it too. Many of us have used food as distraction, entertainment, comfort, enjoyment, self-medicating etc for many years, and these aren't always hard habits to break. Not that all those things are bad, just that they can get out of control.

I've come to the realisation that the only thing I need to do is aim to work on better habits for the long term.
    To track how much I'm eating, try to keep it to a reasonable level, don't beat myself up if I have a day where I eat a whole lot more or less, but just aim to do the best I can for the rest of my life.
    I often see people saying "my weightloss journey" but it's not a journey for me. There is no end point where I will have arrived and can stop and go back to my old eating habits, I need to find healthy habits that I can stick to for life.
    I would love to say that I make great choices every single day, but I really don't. But I'm working on it, that's the best I can do, and you can too.

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had a crappy day, but I think it's great that at you got on here for support. You're going to have to distract yourself. Take a walk. Clean or vacuum. (I usually search for recipes.) And stop that negative talk...you would never talk.to a friend like that, so don't talk to yourself like that either.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you just want to be rebellious and eating food when you are not hungry is rebelling..

Get up and walk (not to the fridge) outside or phone friend! I think we all need a lifeline every now and then!
  • dawnj87
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Jennifer_417
    Eating ice does Not cause anemia but contributes to it. Just as consuming large amounts of ice tea also contributes to anemia. It is a pica, a craving where you eat things like clay or paper, things of no nutritional value. There's no reason why but it is associated with iron deficiency anemia.

• incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Thanks, every1.
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you how many times i did this. Never give up though because it will eventually click.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    dawnj87 wrote: »
    Jennifer_417
    Eating ice does Not cause anemia but contributes to it. Just as consuming large amounts of ice tea also contributes to anemia. It is a pica, a craving where you eat things like clay or paper, things of no nutritional value. There's no reason why but it is associated with iron deficiency anemia.

Associated with, yes. I chewed ice obsessively myself when I was horribly anemic. But how does it contribute?
  • CarCar0207
    CarCar0207 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Self love doll. Say some affirmations, give yourself some complements or ask somebody to give them to u. U deserve ur own respect, at any size. What u eat and what u do with your time should not determine ur self worth. You are wonderful and the fact that u are posting on here instead of binging should show u that u are taking the right steps to achieve your goals and you are worth achieving them.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    dawnj87 wrote: »
    Jennifer_417

The association of pica and iron deficiency anemia is that pica is a symptom of iron deficiency anemia. It does not itself contribute to the anemia.

OP, I often have the urge to eat when I'm not hungry. Sometimes I give in, sometimes I don't. Either way, I log it in my diary and move on. I'm trying to learn about why I want to eat when I'm not hungry but it's a process and some days are better than others. I wish you the best and hopefully you can start to feel better about yourself :smile:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Someone saying "I'm fine on my plan for 3 days, and then I get urges to eat unplanned food" leads me to believe your overall daily goal is simply too low for your hormones/body. You deserve to not suffer. But if you're simply eating too little overall, your brain WILL tell you stronger and stronger messages to eat.

If this is the case, maybe raise your daily goal by 100-150 calories or so. Especially if you're currently at 1200. There is a good likelihood that this can decrease the miserable feelings. Honest, you don't have to feel miserable to lose weight. You never have to feel hungry.

There's not a lot of info on your profile, but if you're not 5'1" or shorter, then you can probably eat more than 1200 per day and still lose weight. As a young woman of 20, it's important that you don't put your hormones out of whack by not getting the nutrition you need.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't think this is about appetite. "Too much appetite" is when you've eaten enough, and still feel an urge to eat. Maybe 1270 calories is too low for you, but at any rate - your diet is not providing you with the nutrition you need, so you are actually hungry. You need to be very careful and selective concerning what you put in your mouth. At 1200 calories, you can't "afford" more than maybe 50 calories worth of "junk" per day. If you plan your day ahead, and make sure your fridge is filled with real food you like, it will be a lot easier for you to eat well and feel well. At the moment, you are eating one meal worth of real food per day on average. You need to eat food that amounts to "three square meals", every day.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Honey, stop beating yourself up. It took me years and a lot of counseling to learn not to do this. You deserve to be happy, no matter what size you are.

There is a lot of sound advice here, esp. these last two posts about having a too restrictive eating plan. I wrote about this yesterday--

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10397633/how-making-real-changes-led-to-my-87-pound-loss#latest

I don't know your background, but I do know you are very young and I think, feeling very vulnerable. If you can, find some support as you move through this process, even a counselor if you can. I suspect you need more support than what you can find on MFP.

Take special care of yourself.