Pre-menstrual bingeing and body dissatisfaction

Options
RochelleLUnangst
RochelleLUnangst Posts: 42 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Do any other ladies here experience extreme compulsive urges to eat, even when not hungry and also feel terrible when looking in the mirror just days before your period?

If you feel these same urges how do you cope? Have you found a way to suppress the feelings without ruining all your hard work of eating right and exercising from the month before?

Replies

• RochelleLUnangst
    Options
    Sorry had to edit the post, half of it didn't show up the first time
  • ritzbits190
    ritzbits190 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yup! Just had six servings of salt and vinegar chips! It's ok. It only made me 200 calories above maintenance. I'll make it up tomorrow. I let myself have a few indulgences like that if I really have a craving but I don't let it last more than a day or two. So I give myself some leeway but still have some parameters so I don't go all out crazy.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't really feel any hungrier. I suppose the cramps make me feel ill, if anything.

I generally sleep more, if that helps!
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes I do :(
    I don't record my weight when my period is coming. I know it is water retention, so when I see the scale start going up and I know it's that time of month, I don't step on again until the day after my period ends. I usually get a "whoosh" that I like to see.
    As far as eating, I eat at maintenance for the first few days and then I am usually ok to eat normal again. It helps me keep my brain from rebelling!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    No.

The good news about PMS is that it does not actually exist--it is a cultural construct.

https://ted.com/talks/robyn_stein_deluca_the_good_news_about_pms?language=en

PMDD, on the other hand, is something that is a defined disorder. If you have it, get it treated--do not use it as an excuse to eat like a pig.
  • RochelleLUnangst
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) it's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling here. It is really REALLY bad for the first 3-4 days and then Poof! Everything is normal again.
  • RochelleLUnangst
    Options
    Anything I find about PMDD doesn't even sound remotely close to how I feel at all.

"Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is a severe, sometimes disabling extension of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Although regular PMS and PMDD both have physical and emotional symptoms, PMDD causes extreme mood shifts that can disrupt your work and damage your relationships."

Treatments include depression medications and hormonal changing medications... No thanks.

On the other hand avoiding certain foods and the mirror at that time sounds like very helpful tips! I keep meaning to keep track of when my next monthly is coming but I always forget to, and I don't realize it until it's too late. This time I've actually put in my calendar when it's expected to show up again so I can be prepared ahead of time
  • RochelleLUnangst
    Options
    I also think I'll eat at maintenance like suggested, that way I won't feel as if I've gone over my goal and/or ruined hard efforts!
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh my. That time of the month for me is hell. Without considering the binging I can hold up to 7lbs in water over that week. So it certainly doesn't help you stay away from the cupboards. 'Oh it doesn't matter as I've already put so much on!' And dive into the naughty cupboard. My cramps will knock me off my feet for 4 days. So no exercise too. Keeping on track when it's all over is hard. Then it all comes again in another 3 weeks!
    As for PMS or PMDD, I just get called the monthly pyscho. Hahaha
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    she_lived_wholly_forevermore Posts: 179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pmdd and was on yaz until insurance stopped covering it. Now almost a decade later I'm on a different one for different reasons but I gotta say I still get those urges but I'm able to talk myself down (most of the time), also it's gotten a lot easier now that I'm eating enough to net at least 1200 so on days I exercise hard, even during pms/period time, I get to stuff my face with pleasure. On a side note I found a nice website for tracking a long time ago called monthlyinfo. It's been super handy and it sends you reminders if you need it to.

Hope you find what works best for you and feel better. This TOM is the Pitts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Anything I find about PMDD doesn't even sound remotely close to how I feel at all.

"Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is a severe, sometimes disabling extension of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Although regular PMS and PMDD both have physical and emotional symptoms, PMDD causes extreme mood shifts that can disrupt your work and damage your relationships."

Treatments include depression medications and hormonal changing medications... No thanks.

On the other hand avoiding certain foods and the mirror at that time sounds like very helpful tips! I keep meaning to keep track of when my next monthly is coming but I always forget to, and I don't realize it until it's too late. This time I've actually put in my calendar when it's expected to show up again so I can be prepared ahead of time

I'm not 100% regular so I usually push my luck a little and end up with one bad day, then I know it's time to change my diet, lol.

My GYN did mention depression medications to help with it but I turned it down... been there, done that, and it made me feel horrible too.

mrsf15h wrote: »
    Oh my. That time of the month for me is hell. Without considering the binging I can hold up to 7lbs in water over that week. So it certainly doesn't help you stay away from the cupboards. 'Oh it doesn't matter as I've already put so much on!' And dive into the naughty cupboard. My cramps will knock me off my feet for 4 days. So no exercise too. Keeping on track when it's all over is hard. Then it all comes again in another 3 weeks!
    As for PMS or PMDD, I just get called the monthly pyscho. Hahaha

Find something for your cramps. Talk to your GYN. Mine prescribed painkillers, but I realized that taking both Advil and Tylenol at the same time was enough for me. There's NO reason to deal with that when there are treatments out there. Now I just suffer for one hour until both take effect in the morning, then I'm good to go. No excuses.

On a side note, losing weight has made TOM much better, but unfortunately PMS and cramps are worse now.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit older than many of you... but I have a Mirena so I no longer have TOM or PMS--it's the best! I guess I've been lucky in that I haven't had any of the inexplicable weight gain, either--I've lost all of my weight since the Mirena was placed.
  • downingdeborah71
    downingdeborah71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hadn't had TOM for about 8 months and thought I was in the clear. Suddenly I was hit hard with cravings beyond control, that horrible fat feeling and overwhelming sobbing like a baby. Ive just lost 33 lbs and felt fatter now then before loosing. I told my daughter "If I didn't know better I swear I'm PMSing". Sure enough three days later bam...TOM shows up. I did manage to stick to my eating and exercise plan, for the most part ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    No.

The good news about PMS is that it does not actually exist--it is a cultural construct.

https://ted.com/talks/robyn_stein_deluca_the_good_news_about_pms?language=en

PMDD, on the other hand, is something that is a defined disorder. If you have it, get it treated--do not use it as an excuse to eat like a pig.

That was fascinating, thanks.

Especially of interest to me:

- We know there's a strong cultural component to the belief in PMS because it's nearly unheard of outside of Western nations.
    - Research tells us that the more a woman believes that everyone gets PMS, the more likely she is to erroneously report that she has it. Let me tell you what I mean by "erroneously." You might ask her, "Do you have PMS?" and she says yes, but then, when you have her keep a daily log of psychological symptoms for two months, no correlation is found between her symptoms and time of the month.
    - psychologists like Joan Chrisler have suggested that taking on the label of PMS allows women to express emotions that would otherwise be considered unladylike. The near universal definition of a good woman is one who is happy, loving, caring for others, and taking great satisfaction from that role. Well, PMS has become a permission slip to be angry, complain, be irritated, without losing the title of good woman. We know that the variables in a woman's environment are much more likely to cause her to be angry than her hormones, but when she attributes anger to hormones, she's absolved of responsibility or criticism.

https://www.ted.com/talks/robyn_stein_deluca_the_good_news_about_pms/transcript?language=en#t-483494
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    When my appetite spikes up premenstrually, I honor it and eat at maintenance for a few days. Most times I add a snack and have a slightly larger dinner, and/or a treat.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts