What your fav healthy meal

Options
Im trying to compile a list of healthy meals and snacks for the summer months. I need something that my four year old will eat too. Shes not to picky. We love to grill out as well.
Ive been having major issues with keeping my calorie intake to where it needs to be. I think in the past week ive only gotten to eat maybe 700-900 cals a day.

Replies

• LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    breaded tilapia filet with brown rice and a nice big leafy green salad with tomatoes and peppers!
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    adding healthy oils and fats help boost calories...olive oil, coconut oil are my faves.

Nuts, beans, whole grains, fruit, veggies are all important, I try to eat less meat and more plant based foods.

quinoa or other whole grains can be added to veggies for cold salads.

summer fruit is awesome!!!! berries! yum! also peaches, nectarines! Good luck!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    cuban black beans

sweet and sour lentils
  • coppercurlz
    Options
    Breading trout in dried onion and Trader Joe's "Just Almonds" Almond "flour". It's not really flour, it's just almonds ground as finely as flour makes for a very healthy "breading". Toss the fish in a little EVOO and the onion and almond with a dash of oregano. All this on a bed of greens and fresh produce, and having grilled strawberries and blackberries in greek yogurt for dessert. Mmmm....
  • krizstyling
    krizstyling Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    breaded tilapia filet with brown rice and a nice big leafy green salad with tomatoes and peppers!

I'm making something similar for dinner tomorrow! Extremely yummy!!!
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Ground chicken (98% fat free) taco seasoning, 2 ortega taco shells, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, fat free sour cream. Sometimes I skip the shells and just wrap it all in a large lettuce leaf. Works well with beef, and also as asian flavor especially with the lettuce shells. My 8 year old son even loves taco night.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I've been looking for healthy meals as well. Thanks :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I take tilapia filets and salt them and use chili powder on them. Then I heat up 1-2 tsps EVOO in a pan and sautee them (you could also grill), right at the end, I squeeze fresh lime over the top. Delicious!

We grill a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. We have a store where we can get antibiotic free, free range chicken for between $3.99 and $4.99 a pound. The flavor is fabulous and we generally just use kosher salt and ground pepper on them, but some chili powder would work, too.

We have a garden, and are finally able to start picking stuff. We had sauteed japanese eggplant and yellow squash with basil that I have growing, too. It was delicious the other night.

If we need a carb side, we usually do either brown rice or oven baked homemade french fries. We usually have those types of sides when I am really low on calories for the day and need some extra to make my calorie goal.

Another favorite is sauteed shrimp with rotel diced tomatoes with chilis. You can choose mild, original or hot. Mild is mild, original is pretty warm and hot is scorching (and I love hot stuff!). You just sautee the shrimp in 2 tsp of olive oil, once they are almost totally cooked, add the rotel and simmer until the shrimp is all pink. We sprinkle 1/4 cup of feta cheese and remove from heat. We serve it over 1/2 cup of brown rice.
  • MegtheTeach
    Options
    You mentioned the grill -- you have got to try Pollo Sabroso. It's a Latino-inspired recipe I've been grilling this summer. Very tasty!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/06/broiled-or-grilled-pollo-sabroso.html
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One time I made turkey burgers...mixed turkey w/cumin and chili powder which gave it a smoky chili taste..I think I also chopped up an onion real small and mixed it in the turkey...I made them small, then I stuck the burger in a pita with some cheese, lettuce, tomato and salsa...it was YUMMMMMMMMMMM