KIDS

Options
desperate mom here. Trying to lose 30 lb (40 would be beyond my wildest dreams). But failing. Lost 9, gained 5 back. I notice that stress makes me eat. I can deal with stress by other means, like exercise or eliminate the source of stress . But with a 7yo and 1.5yo it is impossible to do these things just whenever I need to! I stress and eat, stress and eat! In addition I need to feed the kids. I make food for them, they don't eat it, so I feel pressured to finish it! I know I don't have to, but realizing it will go to waste makes me feel guilty. In addition, who can resist a plate of steaming hot buttered noodles?! Ok, parents of little ones, share your secrets! :)

Replies

• YuliyaShadyrya
    YuliyaShadyrya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WA_mama2 wrote: »
    It's wasted in the trash and it's wasted in my stomach because I didn't need the calories. I'd rather uneaten food be in the trash. I've said to myself "I'm not a garbage disposal!" more than a few times while breaking this habit.

lol! I actually gave myself a nickname "garbage disposal" for this very reason. Better stop! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I either save my kid's leftovers for later (kids are always hungry, it seems) or toss it. It's wasted in the trash and it's wasted in my stomach because I didn't need the calories. I'd rather uneaten food be in the trash. I've said to myself "I'm not a garbage disposal!" more than a few times while breaking this habit.

If stress eating it affecting your progress, reach out and seek some help. There's no shame in it and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

All of this!
  • julescba04
    julescba04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always make just enough for children and If they don't want their dinner then they have nothing else until they have eaten a reasonable amount. My children are good eaters so this rarely a problem
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I either save my kid's leftovers for later (kids are always hungry, it seems) or toss it. It's wasted in the trash and it's wasted in my stomach because I didn't need the calories. I'd rather uneaten food be in the trash. I've said to myself "I'm not a garbage disposal!" more than a few times while breaking this habit.

If stress eating it affecting your progress, reach out and seek some help. There's no shame in it and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

All of this!

+1

Pressure to eat the kids food? Why? Put their food in fridge if it can be eaten later by the kids or if they do not want it, then why should you?
  • papple227
    papple227 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I always put my kids leftovers in the fridge for later. Also, when I get stressed out and feel the urge to stress eat, I immediately take the kids outside to play or take them on a walk to a playground. We all always feel better after we get some fresh air.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am sure it's very stressful dealing with young children! I second the suggestion to feed them what you eat. You're not a line cook or a garbage disposal! I was a very picky eater growing up but both my brother and I would always eat plain chicken or simply seasoned pork, some type of potato, and a green vegetable (maybe add some butter to the veggies for the kiddos). My mom just had to figure out what my brother and I would eat- green salads, peas- not the best, not the worst- and green beans worked for us. We would also eat pasta with tomato sauce, meatballs, and a green salad- things like that. Can you steer them towards what you're eating and can healthy leftovers be repurposed as lunch? This also teaches (conventional) healthy eating habits (a carb, a protein, a vegetable...). Good luck!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Serve your kids smaller portions. If they're still hungry you can always ante up with a piece of fruit.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Serve the kids what you eat, why do we feel it's ok to give the kids processed frozen chicken nuggets, or cans of ravioli, let's start them young to eat good whole foods with lots of nutrition.

Not saying I don't struggle, I have a 6 year old who would eat donuts morning to night if I allowed and now changing her habits have been a struggle since we have started eating healthy this new year.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    drink more water. when i feel like i want to munch (from stress, boredom, etc.), i drink a huge glass of water. if i'm actually feeling hungry after, i can reevaluate then. 95% of the time, the water fills me up though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I never understood eating the kids leftovers. With all the bugs they bring home and the lacking handwashing, you couldn't pay me to eat food that the kids touched.

So.. give them less food to start with, and don't make extra (or make enough just for another meal). Personally, I never weigh the food I make for the kids either, so it's easy to just tell myself that if I want pasta, I'll weigh my own portion tomorrow instead.

And either way, log everything. Best way to be accountable, IMO, when the red numbers stare at you in the face...

For exercising, if the kids are not at school, I go to the gym. There's a kid room and I don't have to worry about them for 2 hours (plus it gives me a break). Or I ask my husband to take care of them if he's home.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've got four daughters (9, 6, 3, and 9 mos). Those bits that they don't finish aren't doing anyone any bit of good whether you throw them in the garbage or they end up on your butt, and they actually do you and your family harm if they prevent you from being a healthy weight. It helps to look at it that way. Toddlers have notoriously finicky, unpredictable appetites, so it's not uncommon (or unhealthy) for them to eat a lot at one meal and barely touch the next. Serve your kids reasonable kid sized portions, that will help reduce waste, but with an 18 month old in the house, leftovers are inevitable. Drop the guilt - you can't pack up those leftovers and send them to a starving person. Eating them yourself won't help anyone. (And don't try to get your kids to "clean their plates" either, lots of us have very bad habits because of that mentality! Let them learn to listen to their own hunger cues; it will serve them well in the future).

As for stress eating - I've never really been a stress eater (if anything stress kills my appetite), so I don't know that I can offer any really useful advice beyond what has already been given. Do try and make regular time for yourself. Get out of the house *by yourself* to do something *just for you* at least once a week, if you can swing it. Getting away from the noise and constant demands of small children will help you feel more calm when you return. There is a reason they tell you to put your own oxygen mask on first when a plane is going down - you can't be of any use to anyone else unless you take care of yourself first. Make you a priority - have a daily ritual that you can do to relax (a nightly bubble bath, a morning walk before the kids get up, a cup of tea in the afternoon, a glass of wine in the evening - you can make room for it in your calorie allowance). These types of things can help you relax and refocus and put things in perspective.

• Bluebell135
    Bluebell135 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post! I've struggled and failed many times and stress eating is definitely a contributing factor. Heck, I gained 10lbs in 2 months after I found out my dog had bone cancer. I've only just gotten back at this, but I have lost 6lbs in 5 weeks, which is a major success for me.

I will say that talking to my doctor about my stress and anxiety was eye opening. With work, kids, grad school, the dog issues, the list just kept growing longer. My doctor recommended a low dose of anxiety meds. I was resistant at first, but after I started taking it I felt a lot better. I didn't actually realize how overwhelmed and agitated I felt all. the. time.

Now I feel much more in control and that includes being more in control of what is going in my mouth. I know it may not be a solution or the answer for everyone, but in my experience, it would be worth having a discussion with your doctor about the stress in your life and getting a handle on managing it better.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dd is a difficult 16 years. My dh has had severe anxiety for 7 years. We've been through some stressful times.
    I stress clean or pace instead of eating. Listening to music helps me when I am stressed.

Kid's food- Cook or buy less food for them in the first place, throw away what they don't eat or put leftovers away for later. Leave some extra calories for it and include it as part of your meal. Eating it so it won't go to waste- that is an excuse.
    Stress- set a timer for 10 minutes and practice meditation, listen to music, play a musical instrument, sing, exercise, knit/crochet, draw/paint/sculpt, garden, chew gum, drink a cup of tea, eat carrots not chocolate or a pizza. Get a babysitter, mother's helper or hand the kids to your partner so you get some time to yourself. Take a hard look at your life and prioritize- let go of some stuff, practice saying no, are you doing anything you enjoy?
    If you are depressed or anxious seek professional help. Get in therapy. Get on meds if you need them. Do it for yourself and your family.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I always saved their food when they were little, small plastic containers are easy to find, and I would keep them in the lower parts of the refrigerator so they could just go get their own leftovers and eat them cold when they were hungry between meals. If they started to pile up then leftovers would become their lunch or dinner one day to clear them out.

My youngest are teenagers now and all my plastic containers sit empty because there are no leftovers. Any that actually make it to the refrigerator are gone within the hour.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My daughter eats what I eat and what my husband eats. She doesn't and hasn't ever gotten special meals or "kid foods" like buttered noodles or chicken nuggets or kraft mac 'n cheese unless they are what we are all having for dinner. And I don't eat her leftovers. I'm not a garbage disposal and I'm not going to act like one.

As for exercising, I'm going to guess that you have a partner (spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, whatever) with whom you share childraising duties such as keeping your 1.5 yo's fingers out of electric sockets while you are exercising. Let him/her do that. Your 7 yo is well old enough to play on his/her own while you exercise as well. Part of raising kids is teaching them to be independent and that the world (i.e., your life) doesn't revolve strictly around them. You taking time out to take care of yourself is as much for their development as it is for your good health.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Give it to a dog.
    Not really, you'll just end up with a fat dog.
    Don't give the kids too much.