Weight loss and depression struggle.

Options
Hi everyone. I have over 80lbs to lose, my weight is really affecting my health but yet I still struggle to get the weight off. Due to my anxiety and depression I got no motivation at all :( Does anyone else struggle like me? I know that once the weight comes off I will start to feel better but at the moment.... 96% of my clothes no longer fit. I dont want to give up, just wondering if anyone had any advice at all? Please feel free to add me on here, i need all the help i can get lol aswell as a possible kick up the backside x

Replies

• anryth
    anryth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its a struggle but I've found that being more active helps a lot with my depression. When I'm active my mind is clear so it gives me a time where I can worry less about things. Finding the motivation to exercise can be difficult but once I do it I feel like it was worth the effort. The biggest thing is to not give up on yourself. Take baby steps, set goals (small ones that are realistic, leave the big ones for long term). Also reach out to people for support and build yourself a network of positive people (either on mfp, or through friends and family) to help keep you on your feet. Mind you it is also important to find motivation within yourself, that want to be healthy and take care of yourself. Annnd if you need help with your depression, seek it. Its important to take care of your mental health too but taking care of your physical health can put you on a path that helps.

(I hope all of that makes sense, I'm quite sleepy :) )
  • Ohiomom91
    Ohiomom91 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with anxiety and depression. I start on a fitness journey in 2014. I was on medication for depression and hated how I felt in my own skin. I was embarrassed to go to the gym. After I lost 80 pounds I realized and believed what I had heard from so many others "exercise is the most underutilized anti-depressant". I had ankle surgery last summer and was 100% non weight bearing for 3 months. My depression creeped back in. The surgeon released me with no restrictions earlier this year but I'm still struggling with getting back to where I was with exercise last year but I'm working on it.
    Start small with maybe walks and gradually add to it. I agree with anryth, about finding support. Please add me if you'd like.
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I suffer from bad depression and severe anxiety. 18 months ago it got that bad I wouldn't come out my bedroom let alone the house. But I wanted something. Something I'm not going to get lay in bed. I started with home workouts but felt I could get out of doing them easily. With the help from my carer, we started making journeys to the gym for aqua fit (amazing fun!). I found a great instructor who understood what I was going through. I had pain in my knees, getting out of breath and being fat and jiggling around did make me feel uncomfortable at first. But as the weight dropped and I started getting the 'Oh you've lost weight' comments, they helped a lot to boost my confidence. 18 months later I now go to the gym everyday on my own (massive improvement). It might be the only place I'm happy to go other than my house but it's definitely better. I've lost 60lbs since October 2014 and the feeling is amazing.
    As the posters above have mentioned, you need to find your own motivation. Mine is I want a child. Me and the hubby have been trying for 3 years, but only now do I feel I actually deal with a pregnancy. So to be a fit mum I've got to get my backside into shape now.
    And exercise is a depression inhabitant. Although I do struggle sometimes deciding whether my heart beating like a nutter is just my aerobic workout or a panic attack.
    ♡♡♡♡♡
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I also agree with staying active, but also talk to your doctor about the depression and anxiety, as they might be able to help you with it. Losing weight is a mental as well as a physical journey. Try to get support from family and friends too, as that is really important.
  • freyjabibby
    freyjabibby Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I struggle with anxiety and depression too, and I know logically that exercise helps, but I don't really do any. I find that if I take on too much at once then I can become overwhelmed and throw in the towel on all of it, so I'm starting slow. Starting by eating fewer calories and losing weight, once that's not a struggle, I'm looking to eat better and start thinking about getting enough protein etc, then once my diet becomes mostly habit, that's when I'm going to start exercising. I may do the odd 10 minutes of yoga or a youtube workout here and there (read twice a month) and I walk to work (15 mins each way) but that's it for now. For me it's all about the small changes one at a time to keep it sustainable and stop me spiralling.
    Finding the motivation to do things is a massive struggle for me, and is why I've started with diet rather than exercise, because it's actually doing less of something - eating. I haven't changed what I eat particularly (other than trying not to buy really high calorie things), just how much. Sometimes it takes a bit of willpower to not eat all my emotions, so I try not to have crisps and sweets and things in the house, because I know when I'm in that state I'm almost never going to leave the house to buy junk food. And sometimes I fail, and I eat too much and the scale goes up, and that's fine, because it will go back down. I do try to make the days I eat too much worth it, so I try to only eat too much if it's something really good or a meal out with friends/family - helps me feel better about it, it's a treat, not a failure.
    Wishing you all the best! You can do this!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression for years. For me, depression & exercise are completely linked. When I feel depressed, I don't want to exercise, which makes everything feel crappier physically, which makes me feel more depressed... vicious cycle. But it also works the other way! The more I move, the better I feel physically, the happier I feel, the more I want to do it again! You need to find the type of movement you enjoy, so that you are more likely to repeat it.

For me, yoga and meditation has completely changed my life. REAL yoga isn't about getting crazy flexible. It's about learning to accept what is, be that where you are physically now, or external circumstances in your life. The focus should be on your breath & feeling your body, not forcing your limbs into a specific shape. There are also many, many types of yoga. For depression/anxiety I would suggest you check out yin yoga or relaxation yoga. That's the style of yoga that really made me fall in love. It is much slower and the focus is on breath work & relaxing. I remember that during my first class I felt like we weren't doing anything at all, but then when I left, I felt like a relaxed bowl full of jello. It was wonderful.

Live classes are THE BEST, but you can always try YouTube vids to get started (check out Yoga With Adriene). Just remember that there is a HUGE variation in teachers & styles, so if you don't like what one person is doing, try something else. Also, in general, yoga at gyms is going to be more physically focused, while yoga at a dedicated yoga studio is more likely to be focused on the mental or breath aspects.

If you've never tried meditation, look into Headspace, which is a website and smartphone app. Their Take 10 program is free & is made for beginners who have never meditated. 10 days of 10 minutes each. Meditation gives me mental space & slows down my thoughts. Makes my brain a less horrible place to live ;)

Also, keep in mind that losing weight will not automatically make you stop being depressed or make you feel better. I have been incredibly depressed & gotten myself down to 135 (I'm 5'6", so really slim) & all I wanted to do was get smaller. I still felt fat & hated my body. Losing weight might help you, but you should also be learning to love yourself and your body through this journey. Plus, the more you love and adore your body, the more you want to care for it, move it & feed it wholesome food.

Also, sometimes you just have to tell you self, "shut up self, we are working out." And then do it. For me, that has been a big thing too. To just start it, whether I'm motivated or not. Treat it like a job or a Dr appointment. It cannot be skipped. It's non-negotiable and must be done, regardless of my emotions in the moment. Then, when I'm done working out, I take a moment to recognize how I feel. I let it sink in how much more relaxed, strong, happy, open & wonderful I feel. Then the next time I don't feel like exercising, I can recall that feeling & think, "I know I don't feel like it now, but remember how great it felt last time. You want that feeling again, right?"

You can do this! You are worth it & you deserve it!
    (Anyone is welcome to add me, also :)