How long do you bulk for

Options
I know it depends on individual goals... But I'm just looking as an average.. How many weeks or pounds ? Just curious

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Until my pants get too tight.
  • leeburton2016
    leeburton2016 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without knowing certain things mate
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I bulked until I got to about 26% body fat. It took a few years.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I bulked for 4.5 months and gained 10lbs. It was a fairly modest bulk (since it was my first)
  • xHarrySims
    xHarrySims Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Most people come of their bulk now and start cutting for summer. Leave you bulk until September, for when you can do it properly from September-may. If you haven't bulked before I suggest you work your core and gradually begin to add more foods to your diet, and I recommend going for the clean route, better in the long run. Work your way into the bulk by gradually increasing the quantity you eat, and workout the amount of calories your body needs, take your body weight in lbs and multiply by 17. Add 500 and hit that amount of calories every day to add weight and be hyper caloric. That's the basics really.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a set timeframe then bulk to a certain BF%. Don't restrict yourself to weeks or months because you may be forced into doing ridiculous things like "take your body weight in lbs and multiply by 17 Add 500" which will cause you to gain WAY more fat than is necessary.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    About 3 to 5 months for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am curious about why you are curious?
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a set timeframe then bulk to a certain BF%. Don't restrict yourself to weeks or months because you may be forced into doing ridiculous things like "take your body weight in lbs and multiply by 17 Add 500" which will cause you to gain WAY more fat than is necessary.

This
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Until I decide I need to lean up
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    xHarrySims wrote: »
    Most people come of their bulk now and start cutting for summer. Leave you bulk until September, for when you can do it properly from September-may. If you haven't bulked before I suggest you work your core and gradually begin to add more foods to your diet, and I recommend going for the clean route, better in the long run. Work your way into the bulk by gradually increasing the quantity you eat, and workout the amount of calories your body needs, take your body weight in lbs and multiply by 17. Add 500 and hit that amount of calories every day to add weight and be hyper caloric. That's the basics really.

That's is excessive for the majority of people. A 17 multiplier is inappropriate for most women and men who are not fairly active. There are lots of calculators out there that can give an estimate for bulking that is closer to accurate than a one size fits all type equation.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm a fan of 500 over TDEE. It's a nice slow bulk that doesn't encourage too much fat gains for me. For me, this equates to about .75 to 1 lb a week.

As for how long to bulk, well, in my opinion the joke holds true... "Bulk till you hate yourself, and then cut until you can't stand it." I mean that jokingly, obviously, as I would never encourage self hatred, but personally, I bulk until I can't stand gaining any longer and feel enough ego push to cut. It's highly subjective as most likely it will take several cycles to reach your goals... or at least, it does for me.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Comes down to personal preference and how long you can keep it up.

For me, my bulks don't always go the way I want....
    At the end of summer 2015 I was ~172 lbs....and thought I would do a bulk till February 2016, with a target weight of around 190
    By end of November I was sitting at 184 so I thought my goal would be no problem...maybe even hit 195
    But my appetite crashed in December and by end of December I was down to ~176

So come end of summer this time, not sure if I will bulk to a certain weight...
    Or just come at it from the view of trying to just make sure I just eat more food than what I do when I am getting ready for summer....
    See if I have better luck this time around....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    start bulking when you are as thin as you'd like, but weaker than you'd like to be.

cut when you are as strong as you'd like but fatter than you'd like to be.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    As long as I can take it which is about 6 months.

I bulked until I was bursting my largest size pants and the seam. From a US size 2 to a super tight size 6.

20lb gain in 6 months.

This was a dirty bulk. I ate what I liked and enjoyed it. I feel I needed to dirty bulk after 2 years of deficit and maintenance. I needed to not track and just enjoy eating without knowing the exact amount of what I felt was damage I was doing to all my hard work. My lifts increased exponentially.

I'm cutting now and seeing the fruits of my labor :) My lifts have not suffered and the fat is disappearing.

After Labor Day this year I will bulk again but this time it will be a clean bulk. I want minimal fat gains.

• fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Till it gets close to summer lol
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Forever bulk mode
  • gearoidmf
    gearoidmf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Permabulk all the way, I'm on about 5-5500 cals a day at the moment
  • sdeidjdbeje
    sdeidjdbeje Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I bulk until I hate my self (not literally) than do the same with cutting jk I don't cut
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I bulked for a little under 5 months because it was all I could take (first bulk). I gained about 15 lbs and I ended up pretty damn thick. I think I would have benefitted from another month or two. Regardless, I tried to cut and my life went to crap so I'm only like 7 lbs down from my highest weigh in.