Eating Disorders and myfitnesspal

Options
Hi all,

I'm really enjoying using this app for myself but I'm seeing some red flags pop up -- I know this is a tricky subject and undoubtedly there will be people who are using this app to help in a recovery, but I'm seeing people aim to hit an overall goal of 400-900 calories, after the day's exercise.

Is it my naivete, or is this a worrying amount? It's not as though I can change these people's minds, but I am at least uncomfortable offering motivation and support to people who are harming themselves via starvation. Just wondered if any other people have experience of this in this community.

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm really enjoying using this app for myself but I'm seeing some red flags pop up -- I know this is a tricky subject and undoubtedly there will be people who are using this app to help in a recovery, but I'm seeing people aim to hit an overall goal of 400-900 calories, after the day's exercise.

Is it my naivete, or is this a worrying amount? It's not as though I can change these people's minds, but I am at least uncomfortable offering motivation and support to people who are harming themselves via starvation. Just wondered if any other people have experience of this in this community.

MFP has very firm policies in place regarding unsafe/unhealthy weight stuff. I see it and either collectively people try to advise to be healthy and/or the moderators take care of it.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Topics with too low calorie amounts eventually get closed, but you're right. There are many of them even if they don't last long. Are they triggering for you? If they are, you have to decide if it's worth YOUR health to try to assist them, or if it's best for you to close the topic and leave immediately. Only you know what will be okay, but it IS the Internet and there are triggers every where.

On the other side, maybe once you feel more recovered you could be a voice of reason out there for others who are struggling. But only if you feel Okay first.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Yeah its a shame when we see people net that low of a calorie intake. This happens with any and every calorie counting site though, not just mfp. Sadly some people use the site to further feed their disordered thinking.
    If I where you, I would delete those people from your friends list so you won't have to look at it.
    If you see it here on the main boards, you can privately message staff or a mod and tell them you are concerned. Its against tos to promote vlcd so they will take your report seriously.
  • rosieandroo
    rosieandroo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, it is coming up on my feed as I'm friends with people who posting statuses about overdoing it, so it's not a post in the community section. I think my best bet is to delete them as friends. You're right; it must come up within any calorie counting site, and I can't change that, sadly. I appreciate the advice :)