How to increase 2 times more hunger

Options
How to increase 2 times more appitate compair to natural appitate for gain weight by natural????? .....like ayurvedic medicine usefull????

Replies

• xHarrySims
    xHarrySims Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't use any medics to increase your hunger. I eat smaller meals over the day, 5 meals about 800 calories each, so my body is always digesting food and absorbing. To work out the amount of calories your body needs to GAIN weight, take your weight in lbs, multiply by 17 and add 500. Hit that everyday. Any questions feel free to ask me
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    xHarrySims wrote: »
    Don't use any medics to increase your hunger. I eat smaller meals over the day, 5 meals about 800 calories each, so my body is always digesting food and absorbing. To work out the amount of calories your body needs to GAIN weight, take your weight in lbs, multiply by 17 and add 500. Hit that everyday. Any questions feel free to ask me

You really should stop promoting such a generic formula that doesn't apply to everything. It's a very very rough. Even for me, it would put me over a slow bulk.

OP, read the below.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options

So I must eat 3700 calories? Sounds wrong
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't use that formula. It's random and not very good. I can gain on 2200-2500 a day, but that formula tells me to eat about 3300. Yeah, no.

To the OP, eat high calorie and low volume foods. Examples: full fat dairy, nut butters, cheese, ice cream, etc..
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If I ate 17*weight+500 I would be fat as hell. You can't throw out blanket advice like that.
  • hardyd85
    hardyd85 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Upping your calories by 500 should be relatively easy to do. An extra scoop of peanut butter here and there can do it. As far as how much to eat it varies depending on weight and age. I usually eat 3000 to maintain. So for me to gain I need at least 3500. Figure out how much your eating now and increase by 500.
  • hardyd85
    Options

Multiply by 17 is right but your not adding 500 on top of that. It is not an exact but a place to start. I weigh 210 and multiply by 17 I get 3570 which is about right for me to gain. The number you multiply varies depending on your activity levels. It is a good place to start.
  • hardyd85
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Yeah, don't use that formula. It's random and not very good. I can gain on 2200-2500 a day, but that formula tells me to eat about 3300. Yeah, no.

To the OP, eat high calorie and low volume foods. Examples: full fat dairy, nut butters, cheese, ice cream, etc..

Either your math is way off or you weigh 194lbs. Multiply by 17 for someone is right to gain weight. It's not exact but a good starting point.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 225 weight wise. I maintain at 2800, and I slow bulk at about .5 lbs a week at 3000...

This formula, without the added 500 would put me at 3825 kcal/day... this is well over a slow bulk for me.

Everyone will be different.... some more than others.
  • hardyd85
    Options
    I'm currently at 225 weight wise. I maintain at 2800, and I slow bulk at about .5 lbs a week at 3000...

This formula, without the added 500 would put me at 3825 kcal/day... this is well over a slow bulk for me.

Also depends on how much muscle mass you carry. The more muscle the more calories you burn throughout the day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    hardyd85 wrote: »

Either your math is way off or you weigh 194lbs. Multiply by 17 for someone is right to gain weight. It's not exact but a good starting point.

Um her math is off? Yours is. 3300-500 is 2800. 2800/17=164.7. That's likely close to her weight. And proves how off the formula is when you compare that to what she states her bulk numbers are (as would be your formula).
  • DaddieCat
    edited May 2016
    Options

Also depends on how much muscle mass you carry. The more muscle the more calories you burn throughout the day.

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.ncsf.org/enew/articles/articles-poundofmuscle.aspx

"1 lb of muscle = 0.45 kg lean mass x .035 L (10 METS) x 60 min x 5 kcal/L = 4.7 kcal/hour per pound"

OP, I found it helpful to eat more calorie dense foods when I'm trying to gain, and eating more often, not because of any reason other than, I couldn't eat that much food in fewer sittings, so dividing it up made it easier. It got easier as I went along... now I find it hard not to hit goals too soon.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Interesting. I am 170 and maintain at 3000.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Almost like activity level is a thing...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Sedentary job with 5 hours of exercise. But i am around 16% bf. So ok body composition.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

Sedentary job with 5 hours of exercise. But i am around 16% bf. So ok body composition.

Sedentary desk job myself. 6-7 hours exercise, and some yoga on the off days, around 16-17% BF as well.

We're like twinsies with differing metabolic needs. ;)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Sedentary desk job myself. 6-7 hours exercise, and some yoga on the off days, around 16-17% BF as well.

We're like twinsies with differing metabolic needs. ;)

I knew there was a reason i tricked you into being a mod.
  • hardyd85
    Options

Um her math is off? Yours is. 3300-500 is 2800. 2800/17=164.7. That's likely close to her weight. And proves how off the formula is when you compare that to what she states her bulk numbers are (as would be your formula).

Yup your right I forgot she added the additional 500 to the formula. Regardless of what formula you use it won't matter if he doesn't know how much he is currently eating. Figure your baseline add 500.