Using MFP/Fitbit while on cruise

Options
Is there cell service on a cruise? The last time I was on a cruise there was no such thing. I am not interested in texting, but am really hoping to be able to use MFP, Runkeeper and sync my Fitbit.

Replies

• clairebeardixon
    clairebeardixon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As far as I know there is but it can be pretty expensive!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Usually. It depends on what type of cruise and which cruiseline. And sometimes, there isn't service for whatever reason. Don't forget that, since you asked about cell service, you may end up in an area that's not covered by your carrier. I can't use mine out of the US.

My wife and I are going on an ocean cruise this summer - we refuse to pay for wifi. In a couple of years, we're probably taking a river cruise in Europe, where wifi is included.

In both cases, I'm going to enjoy the cruise and not worry about MFP (or anything else online, for that matter).
  • smariere
    smariere Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just recently went on a Carnival cruise, and there is WiFi available on most of their ships now, so you'd be able to use most of those services, as long as you are willing to pay for it. It would have added about $50 onto the cost of the cruise for us to have the internet every day, so we ended up only buying one day in the middle of the cruise, which was only $5 (per device). I also did not bring my Up band with me, because I was afraid that I might lose it on the ship. It was disappointing to lose my streak on MFP and in the Up app (and I really want to know how many steps we did around that ship!!) but the cruise is definitely worth it!

Also, a lot of ports have places that you can stop (restaurants, stores etc) that have free wifi, so you can bring your phone with you and use it there.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just really want to be able to sync my Fitbit. I think I will set my goal to higher than normal (maybe 15,000 steps, instead of 10,000), that way I will at least know if I am getting my steps in.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, as someone else noted, all the major cruise lines have cell phone service and wifi. The wifi is much more reasonably priced than cell service, so my suggestion would be to turn off the cell data feature of your phone and use the wifi exclusively. You need to be very careful about this, because novice cruisers have been known to get an unwelcome surprise in the form of a cell phone bill that's several hundred dollars because of ship to shore data charges they didn't know they used.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I wore a Fitbit in April when I did a 2week Celebrity cruise in the Caribbean.

I didn't bother with wifi. It can be expensive and quite slow.
    There were bars and free wi if areas in most ports where I could have synced my fit bit, but didn't.
    I just waited until I got home and synced the 3 weeks I was away then.

The Fitbit One stores data for up to a month, not sure about other models.

Depending on where you are cruising, you may want to do a time change on your Fitbit so your steps still turn over at midnight.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check with your cruise line. It might depend on the specific ship and destination.