Ab Workout for Lower Abs

Hey Eveyone!
I'm looking for an ab workout that will really work my lower abs, pouch/muffin top. I've struggled with that area my entire life and would like a good 20 min or so workout for that in particular.
Thanks in advanced!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited May 2016
    Lying leg lifts and v-ups are great for lower abs, however you can't spot reduce. Eat at a deficit, start strength training and add in some cardio.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    edited May 2016
    This is a great progression, and not just for the lower abs.

http://jasonferruggia.com/gymnastic-secret-stronger-abs/
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    If your "pouch/muffin top" is fat then no exercise is going to fix it. calorific deficit will lead to fat loss and consequently muffin-top loss.

Whilst doing a 20 mins ab work out is not going to hurt you will get more bang-for-your-buck from an overall body routine, or cardio in the form of LISS or HIIT since these routines are likely to provide a larger calorific burn than abs work (which is typically low cal burn).

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Hey Eveyone!
    I'm looking for an ab workout that will really work my lower abs, pouch/muffin top. I've struggled with that area my entire life and would like a good 20 min or so workout for that in particular.
    Thanks in advanced!

No exercise is going to get rid of fat in a specific area. And lower abs aren't really a thing anyway, it's just two long muscles from top to bottom.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Your 20 mins would be better spent doing cardio to burn some extra cals, as a calorie deficit is all is needed to lose fat. For exercise I suggest making the most of your time.... compound lifts
  • cillingworth24
    cillingworth24 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    Thank you guys for the responses! To clarify I am running between 6-7 miles 4 times a week and I do some strength training on the other days so as I'm losing that fat I'd like to see some definition in my abs and have no idea what a good strength program would be. Do people agree on A beach body program?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it could help with definition but a lot of it is genetics and calorie deficits.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited May 2016
    Thank you guys for the responses! To clarify I am running between 6-7 miles 4 times a week and I do some strength training on the other days so as I'm losing that fat I'd like to see some definition in my abs and have no idea what a good strength program would be. Do people agree on A beach body program?

Nope.... I would suggest starting strength or strong lifts, but with your running you may want to cut it down to two days per week instead of the scheduled 3.

direct ab work wont do a lot for definition in abs either, that comes down to BF%. In my profile pic I did next to no direct ab work
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member

To see more definition you'll have to get your body fat lower. How low will depend on your genetics. As far as a program, check out the one I linked above. It will build a superb foundation.