Last 10 lbs - everytime I lose it, I gain it back

Options
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on trying to slim down 10 lbs. I've been struggling with this for about 4 years now. I can be really strict with my diet sometimes and it seems I can get to my goal of 135lbs. Then I think I can loosen up a little on the diet and I go right back to 145lbs. The only at I seem to get back down is to only have carbs from vegetables and a little fruit. I've been working out 5 days a week and eating about 1500 calories but I can't seem to lose anything this time. I feel so frustrated and just want to meet my goal weight for good.
Has anyone been through this and have any advice?

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    lkelly0402 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on trying to slim down 10 lbs. I've been struggling with this for about 4 years now. I can be really strict with my diet sometimes and it seems I can get to my goal of 135lbs. Then I think I can loosen up a little on the diet and I go right back to 145lbs. The only at I seem to get back down is to only have carbs from vegetables and a little fruit. I've been working out 5 days a week and eating about 1500 calories but I can't seem to lose anything this time. I feel so frustrated and just want to meet my goal weight for good.

This is me! I have been struggling with gaining and losing the "last 10 pounds" for the last 4 years also! I will be following this thread closely for helpful advice. Good post!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Me too only in my case it's 20 not 10.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For those that really want to get to a certain weight on the scale but cant? I think you should try weight lifting and body recomposition.

If you just cant lose the vanity pounds this could help you get the look you want without having to get to a lower weight. You may even lose inches and body fat. Do a search of the people's transformation from lifting heavy its inspiring.

I'm a newbie on the MFP boards. I've been seeing posts on recomps, etc but am just learning these terms. I have been sedentary and would like to move to lightly active and then start to do light lifting more reps with recomp. I am very interested in losing the last 10 pounds for good!
  • reevess113
    reevess113 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how tall you are but maybe 135 isn't right for you. I know for me 135 is too skinny - I'm 5'7". I can get there but can't sustain and frankly I'm always hungry.
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For those that really want to get to a certain weight on the scale but cant? I think you should try weight lifting and body recomposition.

This.
    OR Maybe you need to re evaluate your goal. If you've been trying since 4 yrs and find it hard to stay at 135 then maybe that number isn't for you. I'd either make peace with 145 or start lifting.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Agree with recomp.

The last 10 are slow to go, but it needs to be that way to sustain the lower weight. I've spent the last 20 or so weeks losing 11 lbs.
  • oliversnh
    oliversnh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Count me in.....same boat......I am at my heaviest weighing in at 145, but I should be 135 or even less. This past fall I did the 1200 calorie diet and a walk every day and I got to 128 BUT then I decided the splurge for Christmas and it continued through Valentines and Easter and now here I am back at 145. I am back on a 1200 calorie diet, continuing to walk and am adding gym days. I have been working out so much that my legs are in constant pain, yet I am losing NOTHING!!! I am eating less and less and exercising more and more but still nothing (8 weeks in), so I totally know how you feel. My co-worker says to keep going. She just went through this and says that she finally started to lose after the 8 week point so maybe our bodies are just being stubborn....holding on to every inch of fat UGH Hang in there...you are not alone!!!!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    lkelly0402 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Go by how you look not a number on the scale, you probably don't actually lose 10lbs maybe 8lbs of water weight and then 2lbs of fat/muscle. You then reintroduce foods (probably improperly) that cause you to retain water and you gain it all back quickly.

If it's fitting into a certain pair of cloths, don't let them get tight, when they get tighter start to watch what you eat a more.

The other thing to look at is your workouts, like what are you doing 5 days a week? 5 days doesn't = results some of the best bodybuilders in the world know that working a 4 day split is best for results. (it looks like this Monday= moderate weight, Tuesday= high volume, Wednesday off, Thursday heavy Friday off Saturday heavy Sunday off) Not saying you have to be a bodybuilder, saying you want results this is the best for results, recovery is so underrated.

Anyways I watch this youtube channel for information as it's a smaller channel and doesn't have the BS marketing that all the other big names have. I've messaged the guy also, he's really nice and helpful! His video yesterday is actual perfect for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clT6NyMXWGI
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    This is me too. I'm 5'3" and 130 to 135. My goal is 124 but I've never gone below 130... It's been six months and I'm going crazy! I lift weights 4-5X a week, run, yoga and I'm super active.

I want to reach a maintainable weight so I'm not sure when to forget about the goal weight and just be happy at a healthy weight.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    This is me too. I'm 5'3" and 130 to 135. My goal is 124 but I've never gone below 130... It's been six months and I'm going crazy! I lift weights 4-5X a week, run, yoga and I'm super active.

I want to reach a maintainable weight so I'm not sure when to forget about the goal weight and just be happy at a healthy weight.

I'm 5'3" also and very active. My starting weight was 139 and the first 20 came off pretty easily. If you're that active and your weight won't budge in six months, it definitely comes down to your logging and/or calorie intake.
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is a great post with good information. As someone posted above, definitely try body recomp. You may not lose weight but you'll feel and look better.

FYI I'm on my last 10 pounds but I think I'm going to stop weighing myself and focus on strength training.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think you need to continue calorie counting even after you reach your goal (to maintain, not to lose). I got to 126 and stayed there for a good while, I stopped using MFP and went up to 142 in a few months because I got too comfortable.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep, many people become complacent when they reach their goal weight and slowly go back to how they were eating before.
    I don't think I'll ever stop calorie counting, plus I weigh myself every morning so I can nip any weight creep in the bud. A weight trend app helps too, I use Trendweight.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Been there but I hope this time is different. I bought a Fitbit charge hr six weeks ago and realized I may have been overestimating how many calories I was burning since I was sweating up a storm during my gym classes and strength training sessions. I also ditched the scale - it was driving me crazy - all my work, and I would lose two pounds, up one, etc. I started lifting heavy and seven weeks after I got my Fitbit, I went from a tight size 8 to a roomy size 4. I know I shouldn't feel anxious to step on a scale given where I am but I'm not sure about my reaction if it's not significantly lower from 132. Arrrrgh!! Goal weight is 125.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You might need to lower your calories. There is a quick guide that's roughly accurate. Move the decimal once to the left of your calorie intake to find the weight you are moving towards. 1500 calories moves you towards 150 lbs.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    When I reached my goal weight, i was so sick of being restrictive and counting every calorie that i slowly let it all go. I rediscovered the pleasure of gorging on my favorite foods while reading or watching TV. So of course i'm now working to lose 10-15 pounds AGAIN. It's totally a mental thing. I KNEW this would happen, but I was like "oh I'll start counting calories again tomorrow." Then I did, but after dinner I just kept eating. I am determined to find some way of not relapsing again this time around.