Saboteurs - what's your plan of action - they really mean well

Options
2»

Replies

• joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep suggesting to throw away perfectly good food? I've seen plenty of homeless people that wouldn't mind having a kit kat.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep suggesting to throw away perfectly good food? I've seen plenty of homeless people that wouldn't mind having a kit kat.

I live in a major metropolitan area. I see homeless people every day. It's rare that homeless people will accept food in lieu of money (in my experience, and in my friends' experiences). The food bank also won't take these items- they request low-fat, low-sodium, nutritious canned and boxed goods. She is doing absolutely no harm by throwing out this food. In fact, you could argue that many health problems are the result of a poor diet, so she is saving the system money in the long run if she needs to throw this stuff out to avoid eating it. Whatever helps her sleep- throw those Kit Kats out if you must!

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    As for the restaurants and buffets, I live in Vegas the buffet capital of the world. Most buffets seem to have salad bars with fresh vegetables and fruits, find the healthiest options you can and log them the best you can.

I lost my mother at 16 and my father at 27. I wish I had your problem. Look at it this way, he's elderly, you probably won't have this "problem" for much longer.

I think this is spot on. The guy is 83, and he's still your dad. Not wanting to hurt his feelings is very kind of you. Make your best choice at a buffet, and eat S.L.O.W.L.Y. Really. Fill up on things that you feel OK eating lots of (salad bar?) and choose wisely for the rest. Then take your time eating and sipping your water or iced tea.

As for the Kitkats, I love the idea of asking him to get the minis. Tell him that you love to have one at the time, but you love being able to have a treat in your purse for later (no worries if he doesn't know that it ends up in your fridge). He's your dad. You're lucky to have a guy who wants to spend so much time with you. You're smart to recognize that he's not going to change either ;) He sounds terrific-generous, loving, thoughtful... all shown through food, lol.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »

I've always felt like, as parents, it's important not to try to hide the world of high-calorie (and super tasty) foods from children, but to teach them moderative and conscious eating habits in the world we live in.

So this. I grew up with a mother that hid all the high calorie foods from me. Wouldn't even let me eat cheese because it had to many calories. When i got to college i went absolutely crazy with all this yummy food and gained 20 pounds right away.