Frozen meals

Options
I make my own lunches, usually yogurt and fruit. But gets boring. What do you all think of low cal frozen meals? For example Healthy Choice. Do they provide good nutrients and energy ?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    They are convent to log. I like that they require no clean up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals are fine. They are frozen.. that is convenient and kind of cheap! They still can lack in weighing to be either over or under the calories on the box.

Frozen meals have to be preserved in order to stay "fresh" and have long shelf lives. I personally gave up all frozen dinners along time ago. Added sugar, sodium an preservatives are something I would like to avoid when totally unnecessary.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm doing an afternoon shift (3pm - 11pm) I'll bring one of them with me to work. They are super convenient and some taste really good!!!
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I love frozen foods, but always try to get the ones higher in protein so that I'm not starving. I prefer the breakfast ones (egg burritos, jimmy deans turkey sausage, egg and cheese muffins, etc). Those are usually high protein and easy to pair with a bag of salad or something.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    They are useful as a backup, when you just don't have time for anything else. I actually don't buy frozen meals, rather I get the ready meals that are able to be frozen. The good brands (Marks and Spencers, Waitrose etc) have decent quality ingredients (especially the meat, which can be potentially dodgy in other brands - low quality chicken, Tesco horsemeat anyone?!!!), no preservatives etc, but the 'freezable' sign on the pack allows for long storage. Often they can be cooked from frozen, if not, I'm usually prepared enough that I can whip something out of the freezer in the morning, and it'll be defrosted ready for use by the evening. I'm aware the salt content is always going to be higher than homemade food, but once in a while is OK for me, as my sodium intake is very low normally. I always scan the aisles for the discount stickers when I'm shopping, so I can pack one or two meals away in the freezer for occasional use. When the meals are half price, or even less, it works out economical to have them as standbys.

BTW, the American choices for ready meals are pretty awful - finding anything with a decent veg content is near impossible, IMO! The UK supermarkets seem to have gotten pretty good at raising the quality of prepared meals (although some horrors still remain). There are even some high end brands, like the Heston Blumenthal range in Waitrose, that's approaching restaurant quality for taste and presentation! Expensive though!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love the marketplace organic frozen entrees by lean cuisine they are delicious and very healthy.
    Also Amy's organic frozen meals. No harmful additives or artificial ingredients makes them taste very close to homemade. I took nutrition courses in college. What I learned about Artificial colors , flavors, and additives scare me and I don't want them in my body.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I bulk cook at home stuff like bolognaise, shepherd's pie, lasagne, various stews etc and freeze them in portions for either 2 adults or my whole family - cheaper than buying ready meals and you can add as meals in MFP.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bunch! They are handy and convenient and many of them taste great! I don't eat the them every day but I like having some in the freezer for when I need something easy. Lean Cuisine, Stouffers, Healthy Choice ...all have great options with good nutritional content and taste way better than NutriSystem imho. And way cheaper!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i really like the amy's Black bean enchilada meal (1 enchilada, rice and beans), Amy's mushroom risotto, and a few of the morningstar farms/faux meat products i can find in my local supermarket.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think frozen meals are the opposite of what you're looking for if you want good nutrition and avoid boredom. They are mostly for convenience. Why don't you look around for recipes to extend your repertoire?
  • KzooRichie
    KzooRichie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the evol frozen meals. IMO they are pretty spendy at ~ $5.00 in my area, but they had a 4 week sale at 2 for $7. I stocked up.

They are without a doubt the best tasting frozen lunches I have ever had. The are very sound nutritionally, and a rarity in prepared food not high in sodium.

Amy's is good also.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Another fan of Amy's meals. They're delicious.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Amy's Light and Lean meals are great - my go-to lunch.
  • KzooRichie
    KzooRichie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oops. I had the brand name wrong in my post above. Luvo are the meals I love. evol are good too, but I have not paid much attention to their nutrition.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used to exclusively eat frozen meals (Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, Hot Pockets...) and my stomach became VERY upset daily. It was nonstop. I saw a nutritionist and she recommended I eliminate them from my diet as a result of the preservatives, etc. that are in them and I immediately started to feel better. Obviously my experience is exclusive to me- but if you start eating those meals and notice feeling sick, cut them out.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    KzooRichie wrote: »
    Oops. I had the brand name wrong in my post above. Luvo are the meals I love. evol are good too, but I have not paid much attention to their nutrition.

Oh that's funny I was going to second the recommendation for Evol - I haven't seen Luvo. I think Evol are more filling than Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine (naturally, they have about 100 - 150 extra cals) and often more unique selections. I like the Healthy Choice steamers and the Lean Cuisine spa selections but I find them to be not as filling and often lacking in protein - so a lot of times I will bring a bag of precooked chicken strips and add those to the meals as well, or sometimes grab a salad from the work cafeteria.

I prefer my own homemade food, usually leftovers from a previous nights dinner, but I keep a stash of frozen meals for weeks when I haven't had time to cook much. The calorie count is lower than my meals so it leaves me room for a mid afternoon snack like a Chobani Flip or something.

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I find them to be convenient and most are good. I will say that if I prepare my own, it seems as if I have more food. I am able to pick out more foods that are healthier but overall, I enjoy frozen meals. Smart ones are my favorite. I know that have sodium but if you have not issues with sodium, I don't see a problem.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    lisaepell wrote: »
    Amy's Light and Lean meals are great - my go-to lunch.

Agreed. I love the mac and cheese (just had it for lunch, actually) and the asian noodles.

They are not my "go-to" though. I use them as backup if I don't have any lunchmeat, tuna, or leftovers lying around. They are convenient and prevent me from buying lunch if I haven't planned ahead. And buying lunch out costs too much $$ and calories.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I think frozen meals are the opposite of what you're looking for if you want good nutrition and avoid boredom. They are mostly for convenience. Why don't you look around for recipes to extend your repertoire?

Personally, frozen meals helped me to develop an appreciation for different veggies and flavor profiles. Sure, the "real deal" version of each variety will be different from the frozen version, but just having the variety easier to access can be helpful.