8 months in, weight loss slowing down

Options
I've never been on a diet for this long, and the weight loss is just slowing down, but I'm still in the low 200's! I drink a lot of water, walking, switched up my foods and even change dinner for breakfast, get enough sleep etc... Is this normal to be THIS slow now? I know it can slow down but it seems just... Slower than I expected krwy3dubsofd.jpeg

Replies

• stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Readjust your calorie deficit? As your body fat/weight goes down, so does your caloric needs. Recalculate your TDEE and go from there.
  • topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Are these your weekly weigh ins? I've been at it a year. These look like my #s, although I had a cortisone shot to the knee a little less than a month ago and slowed to losing a fraction of a lb/week. Lost a lb this week. It's easier to lose in the beginning, but I'm plodding on.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    stmokomoko wrote: »
    Readjust your calorie deficit? As your body fat/weight goes down, so does your caloric needs. Recalculate your TDEE and go from there.

This. You should be readjusting your calories every 20lbs lost at least.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yes, have you adjusted calories? Looks like it's time to lower them and/or increase exercise. :)
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    stmokomoko wrote: »

This. You should be readjusting your calories every 20lbs lost at least.

I have been, I'm down to 1250 calories, and I worry about going any lower, I'm not very active, don't exercise much, maybe even with my limited time to exercise I have to start?
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Also- if I add in exercise, won't I have to eat back some of those calories burned so I'm not at a deficit of less than 1200? My body has adjusted to the 1250, I don't go to bed hungry as I eat lots of small meals and drink lots of water
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Please remember that as you get lighter, there is less deficit in play overall. Your weight loss is going to slow down the lighter you get.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    Also- if I add in exercise, won't I have to eat back some of those calories burned so I'm not at a deficit of less than 1200? My body has adjusted to the 1250, I don't go to bed hungry as I eat lots of small meals and drink lots of water

MFP is designed for you to eat back exercise calories, but how much is entirely up to you. In a perfect world you could eat back everything and still lose at your projected weight loss. But we all know weight loss isn't a perfect world lol.

If you're under 15-20lbs to your goal, you should adjust to losing slower (.5-1lb per week). As for exercise, if you're not hungry, don't eat them back, if you're hungry eat back a portion, I do roughly 25-50% when I need to.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you've been at 1250 cals/day for a long time, you may need to increase your caloric intake (especially if you're combining a caloric deficit with any type of exercise). I ran into this issue earlier this year. Was doing 1200 cals/day with cardio and my metabolism froze. I jumped up to 1400-1500 cals/day and the weight loss reignited. Everyone thinks 1200 cals is the magic number but, to be honest, you really shouldn't be on THAT low of a daily intake for longer than 12 weeks. It's actually far too low to stay on for any real length of time. Your metabolism WILL suffer and weight/fat loss will halt. Try going up to 1400/day and see if that doesn't get your weight loss moving again. :) Good luck!
  • AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    I've never been on a diet for this long, and the weight loss is just slowing down, but I'm still in the low 200's! I drink a lot of water, walking, switched up my foods and even change dinner for breakfast, get enough sleep etc... Is this normal to be THIS slow now? I know it can slow down but it seems just... Slower than I expected krwy3dubsofd.jpeg

Yep! Your body gets used to it!
    Do weights, high protein/high fat and low carb for a while
  • AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    And ya you may need to lower your cals just don't go under 1200
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrars on your loss so far! Weight loss does slow down because you have less slack to create a deficit. I started off losing 2 lbs per week and now, 2 yrs later, it's close to .25 to .5 per week. If I get tired because of being at this so long, I just look around for folks who've Been doing this even longer than me. Just keep following your plan and you'll get there!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to goal, the slower the rate of loss. It took me a year and a half to lose 95 lbs. You don't have to eat back exercise calories and definitely add in exercise...even 15 minutes a day will help. You can find the time if you really want this.