Chews/water/snacks WHILE running

Options
My favorite time to run is after work during the week. I have run in “feels like 93 degree” weather and it is just going to get hotter in the summer months. I do good to go 2 miles out, but the way back is tough. I’ve read some people bring caffeine chews to boost them through a run. If you do that, do you have a favorite brand? Does anyone carry a fanny pack or something like that and keep a water bottle or snack in it? I’ve thought maybe I should bring frozen fruit (like berry’s) in a sandwich bag and half way through it wouldn’t be frozen any more. Any tips and tricks appreciated.

Replies

• ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say make sure you are well hydrated before you go out. You don't need anything for a four mile run. I've always heard running longer then 60 minutes you may want something
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the food or chews are not going to be of any benefit on a 4 mile run. But you definitely need to be aware of hydration issues in the heat. Slowing down and pre-run hydration are good suggestions. If you feel the need to carry water with you on your run, Nathans makes a good 10oz hand held bottle that fits nicely in your palm and is very convenient:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KRNAOM
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback. I live in Texas. Temps can reach 106 in the sun. I really will hydrate well before and bring a small water bottle. I'm already carrying my phone, my car keys and now a water bottle so a belt would be a good idea.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For keys and phone, I use a waterproof belt strapped like a bandolier.
    For water, a hand strap bottle (like Nathan's or Camelback), usually for longer distances.
    Sometimes a waist bottle belt but I'm not a big fan.

For greater distances, a running back pack/vest. (+2 hrs)

SNHYPN40233_large_1.jpg?v=4df4664727ba11111

But I agree with others, other than water, for short runs chews and snacks aren't really needed.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    CheatinLil wrote: »
    I do good to go 2 miles out, but the way back is tough.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but if you're only running four miles then nothing you take with you is going to have an effect during the session. IF you feel the need then eat something a good hour or so before going out, and make sure you're generally properly hydrated.

Personally I don't carry anything for less than 10 miles.

Agreed here.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do good to go 2 miles out, but the way back is tough.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but if you're only running four miles then nothing you take with you is going to have an effect during the session. IF you feel the need then eat something a good hour or so before going out, and make sure you're generally properly hydrated.

Personally I don't carry anything for less than 10 miles.

Agreed.

Also, make sure you know what hydrating is/means... it's not just drinking a ton of water.

You can get water bottles that have a little sleeve on them that slips over your hand, there's often times a small pocket for on it for smaller things like a phone, keys, wallet, or gel. Something like this -

1305430_305_main.png?sw=474&sh=474&sm=fit
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    In Texas I can't imagine running in 100 degree weather for 9 miles with no water.

OMG Jackson please tell me what hydrating means. I thought it did mean drinking a ton of water. In the morning, I start drinking 1.5 - 3 liters of water a day so I thought that meant I am hydrated!

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I live in a hot climate too.

Running before/at dawn helps a lot. Much cooler before the sun comes up.

I do not eat or drink before or during a run, instead just try to stay generally hydrated throughout every day. I do not go more than 5 miles ever though, or not yet anyway.

If you are running out of fuel before 5 miles, this seems odd, and food wouldn't have time to digest and become energy while you are running. Distance runners do take nutrition and hydration during runs, they learn how to do it without puking by training it. Water with honey and lemon and a pinch of salt would probably be good, anything easy to digest and with carbohydrate and electrolytes. I used to give the kids the Gu Chews before we went out but it was more psychological than anything else - they do have smaller bodies so will run out of carbohydrate before I do but we weren't going far enough for them to need anything, they ran the 5k race we trained for without bonking, without eating, so it isn't a physical limit.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You may need to fuel before your run...especially if you're running after work and haven't eaten since lunch. I suspect you are "bonking" because you don't have enough energy. I'd try eating something small before your run as well as make sure you are drinking lots of water throughout the day. See if that helps.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I sometimes carry a fanny pack (an actual one, lol) with a waterbottle in it, and sometimes a flio belt (specially designed for runners). I can fit more in the fannypack so if i want to carry more, I use that.

If you think you want a caffeine boost....try caffeine 30-45 minutes before you begin.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas too. The weather during the summer is unbearable. I actually used to run before the sun came up, but that's not possible now.

I bought this to hold my giant phone, but I do like being able to squirt water over myself on hotter days.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    In Texas I can't imagine running in 100 degree weather for 9 miles with no water.

OMG Jackson please tell me what hydrating means. I thought it did mean drinking a ton of water. In the morning, I start drinking 1.5 - 3 liters of water a day so I thought that meant I am hydrated!

@Jackson was probably referring to the body's need for electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc.) in addition to water. These are lost during exercise, especially in warm temps and at high exertion levels. I don't know that this would be an issue at 4 miles, but as you get to longer duration workouts, it could come into play.

Something tells me you're not in need of this stuff yet, but if you're curious, there are a bunch of options out there, everything from homemade concoctions or household products (such as pickle juice or chicken broth for sodium) to sports drinks formulated specifically for both glycogen and electrolyte replenishment. Off the top of my head, some popular ones are Hammer Nutrition products,such as Heed, and others that are similar: Infinit Performance, Skratch Labs, Naturally Fast, First Endurance, UCAN, etc.
  • mmcneilly
    mmcneilly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You definitely do not need food or chews on less than a 10 mile run. Maybe water, but I wouldn't bother with gatorade. I only run with Gatorade in the summer when running over 12 miles. Otherwise I'll have some at home. It's unnecessary I've found in marathon training.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

@Jackson was probably referring to the body's need for electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc.) in addition to water. These are lost during exercise, especially in warm temps and at high exertion levels. I don't know that this would be an issue at 4 miles, but as you get to longer duration workouts, it could come into play.

Yea, that.

While I don't have any real info to back this up (just some n=1 subjective experience), I do think you can, for lack of a better phrase, dilute your body by drinking too much water without getting enough electrolytes (esp sodium).

Anyone agree/disagree? @Djproulx ? @MeanderingMammal ? @EvgeniZyntx ?
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »

Yea, that.

While I don't have any real info to back this up (just some n=1 subjective experience), I do think you can, for lack of a better phrase, dilute your body by drinking too much water without getting enough electrolytes (esp sodium).

Anyone agree/disagree? @Djproulx ? @MeanderingMammal ? @EvgeniZyntx ?

Yeah, that's a thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You don't need to worry too much about this for a 4 mile run. Having some cold water to drink and dump on your head can help. I lived in CA and moved to TX for a few years. Was running 3:30 marathons in CA and get to TX and couldn't do more than 8 miles starting at 4 am due to heat.

As others have said on hydration, you have to watch out for hyponatremia especially in warm weather. But again, this isn't much of an issue over 4 miles. Basically, you sweat out water containing salt and if you refuel with water only, your body gets depleted of salt causing your brain to swell and eventually death. Again, don't worry for 4 miles, but as the time increases towards an hour, you do need to replace electrolytes with something like Gatorade or Nuun tablets (if you don't want the calories). I saw a guy collapse and die at the end of a marathon from hyponatremia. The worst part is symptoms look like heat stroke so people pour water down you which makes it worse.