Gym Membership and Dog Ownership

Options
I've been very seriously considering joining a gym recently. Up to this point in my life the only gym I've ever been inside of is the one I was forced to occupy during high school phys ed classes. I can tell you for me personally there wasn't any actual activity going on during that time unless you count talking to my friends about our sweet weekend plans and moving from machine to machine (some were much more conducive to conversation than others).

I digress. My main consternation at this point isn't about actually joining the gym but about my dog. I live alone. I work a minimum of 50 hours a week. She spends a lot of time alone and I spend too much time worrying about leaving her alone. I try to appease the guilt by telling myself that she was an outside dog before I adopted her and she didn't have much human interaction at all. She's happy, she's healthy and she gets nightly walks in addition to the two to three trips to the dog park every week. When I am not working, she's my focus.

I'm having a difficult time rationalizing joining a gym when I know she's home waiting for me. I have a perfectly good house that I can work out in. And I clearly have a great partner for many activities like walks, fetch and running (should I every consider such a thing).

I'm interested in hearing others' experiences. How do you schedule your gym time around your canine responsibilities? Are there other ways to incorporate my dog into activities? Should I just start by attempting to bench press her and forgo the weights? (kidding, she's way too heavy.)

Replies

• soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5am before work while my dog is sleeping. Then I throw the ball for her or take her in a walk when I get home. The weekends I don't go to the gym, that's my dog's time! :)
  • lshelto17
    lshelto17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I run / walk the dog in the mornings at least two miles and a quick walk in the afternoon and then gym on the weekends! My gym is fairly cheap so even if I use it once I week I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We always have multiple dogs (3-4) so they keep each other company. It's a choice we specifically made before getting a dog 12 years ago.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    lshelto17 wrote: »
    I run / walk the dog in the mornings at least two miles and a quick walk in the afternoon and then gym on the weekends! My gym is fairly cheap so even if I use it once I week I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't feel bad about paying for a cheap membership and only going once or twice a week. I'd still be going but it would be negligible time away from home after work
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    We always have multiple dogs (3-4) so they keep each other company. It's a choice we specifically made before getting a dog 12 years ago.

I've considered a second dog as well. I like the idea of her having someone all the time
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I've considered a second dog as well. I like the idea of her having someone all the time

It's somewhat dependent on breed but 2 isn't really more work than 1. I'd say that adding a third is when you notice an increase in work as far as pet care. (And then adding a fourth is super easy for some reason. Not that you're going to jump from one to four right now!) We have greyhounds, which are kind of like giant cats, so not too in your face or needy.
  • GolfingDad5
    GolfingDad5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs that I spend a great deal of time with including them in my workouts but I still make time to get my hour at the gym in.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Do any of your parks have those park/outdoor gyms. You could do walk and workout at the same time.

Cheers, h
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I would be more comfortable living a dog alone for long hours outside (assuming the outside is a large enough area that provides both shelter and things to keep the dog occupied) than leaving a dog for very long hours alone indoors. I would try to go to the gym on weekends and take the dog for long walks or runs after work.
  • Nimblestyx
    Nimblestyx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation as you. I still get my workouts in and he still gets a daily 1-2 mile walk and gets to sleep with me on the bed. If you don't put yourself first in certain situations who's going to take care of her? In short, don't feel guilty. Maybe get her a friend or if its in the budget a trip to a doggy day camp every once in a while. Momma deserves so "me time" too.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I walk my dogs a ton. It is a big source of my activity. We typically start our days with a 2+ mile walk, and then what walking I can get in around my work schedule. But I also am a ballroom dancer, so while I'm not at the gym a lot of nights, I do go and dance a lot. Sometimes they go with me and either sleep in the car (when it is cool enough) or will even come into the studio. Otherwise, they get some busy treats and a walk and a snuggle when I get home. They survive.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't think your dog will notice if you come home an hour later than usual. Plus, you have to take care of yourself in order to be able to take care of your dog. But this is the main reason why I got a cat instead of a dog b/c normally cats are more independent than dogs. There are some days where I'm gone for over 12 hours and I couldn't imagine the state that my apartment would be in if I left a dog alone for that long.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I am gone from my pup from 7:15 AM until 6:30 or 7PM. As soon as I get home we go for a good walk, then we play fetch and tug-o-war in the evenings and whatever else. If I have plans in the evening on a work day, my neighbor takes him out and usually keeps him at her house for a couple hours and hangs out with him. I totally understand the feeling guilty part, finding a neighbor for those nights has helped me. Working out has given me even more desire to walk him further and play with him more. Win -win
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are meeting your dog's social, physical, and emotional needs and that you are a very conscientious pet parent. It's important to meet your physical needs too! Will you feel guilty sometimes when you leave the dog for an hour at the gym? I know I do! But I still have to go and take care of myself. It makes me a much better, fitter pet parent in the long run.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think about this too, and this thread makes me feel better! It's true - if we don't take care of ourselves, how will we take care of our furry children?
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I'm siding with your concerns.
    Your walking the dog and that's exercise.
    If your wanting some other type of exercise there are videos available on YouTube and other places you can do at home.
    BTW your f'in awesome in my book for caring so much about your pup.
    You rock!!
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I don't go to a gym because of my two. Then again, I'm their b*tch. I got a foldable bench and the adjustable Bowflex dumbbells and just do what I can with them. I get a dog kiss every time I do a sit-up. Also, I just hate people and would much rather do what I can at home.

As one user stated, two dogs aren't much different than one, in most cases. My 2nd one is a heathen and way stronger than I am so now I have to take them on separate walks. He's a husky/pit rescue and sweet as anything but SO much energy! Benadryl is a recreational drug at our house. Not every day! Not even every week! But sometimes...

Also, I've done dog squats with my boxer. Don't knock it! :-)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I don't think your dog will notice if you come home an hour later than usual.

EXACTLY = a dog is very unlike a spouse or human significant other, who may get jealous of the time you spend at the gym instead of cuddling. A dog is just SO HAPPY to see you back home whether you've been gone an hour or five.

Just make sure your gym activities do not infringe upon your time to walk & play with Rover and it should be fine! :)