does it matter what I eat?

Options
I have a calorie deficit of 1500 per day. I never go over and usually have 100-200 left over. I heard that it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you don't go go over your daily calories you will still lose weight. Am I hurting my progress by eating junk food even though i stay under my calorie goal?

Replies

• musicfanlh
    musicfanlh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nope not one bit! :)
  • Kelkein
    Kelkein Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Of course not. One of the examples I like is the riddle "Which one is heavier, 100 g of bricks or 100 g of feathers?". That is to say, 100 calories of an apple is the same as 100 calories of pizza.

That's talking from a weight loss point of view, which stands on the rule of CICO. For fitness in general, it's not the same at all.

• GettingGoalsDone
    GettingGoalsDone Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • jaidenhales156
    jaidenhales156 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not at all feel free to add me :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jannellex wrote: »
    I have a calorie deficit of 1500 per day. I never go over and usually have 100-200 left over. I heard that it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you don't go go over your daily calories you will still lose weight. Am I hurting my progress by eating junk food even though i stay under my calorie goal?

Wait. You have a calorie deficit of 1500 or your daily calorie goal is 1500?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    As long as you get the nutrition you need, Can make you lose more simply by having more energy. I always have some left to snack at night like i love :3
  • Kelkein
    Kelkein Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just try to eat as few house plants and as little notebook paper as possible.

Don't worry OP, common mistakes
  • alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think the trick to long term success is finding a way to eat in moderation things you really like, while remembering food has a purpose beyond tasting good: food should nourish you. Technically any combination of a CICO that creates a deficit should work, but psychologically some eating patterns are easier and healthier to sustain over a long period of time than others. Strive for a balance between fun and function that works for you!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For weight loss, no.

For nutrition, it can matter. You need to get adequate vitamins and minerals, plus sufficient protein and essential fats. That said, as long as you eat a diet with a lot of variety you're likely to be fine.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Not in the least as far as weight loss is concerned. For overall health of course
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just because you can lose weight eating junk food doesn't mean it should make up the bulk of your diet.
    Health matters too, make sure you're hitting your macros and vitamins/minerals aswell.
  • jannellex
    jannellex Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated. I do eat healthy but can't stay away from my sweets! ;) 18 pounds and counting. Feel free to add me!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No. Eat what you want. You will eventually want some vegetables. Just stay within 1,500 calories. You'll lose weight. I am focused on health now, but when I started I just ate.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Wait. You have a calorie deficit of 1500 or your daily calorie goal is 1500?

Wow, good catch! That's a good question.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    In a way yes. For basic weight loss no but if your goal is to get lean especially for prep etc. then I suggest wholesome foods. I once ate whatever I wanted on a calorie deficit which led to skinny-fat. I still eat at a calorie deficit now except mostly nutrient dense foods. I feel more energized especially before and during my workouts and I leaned out and gained mass (and retained). Am still slim except a lot more solid.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

What you eat does not matter as to weight loss, but it does for nutrition.

How much you eat does matter as to nutrition, but not when it comes to weight loss.

You are not hurting your weight loss as all as long as you are sure you're staying within your weight loss calorie goals and the scale and/or how your clothes fit confirms this.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Only if your calorie goal is under your calorie requirement. If you only need 1200 calories a day and you're eating 1300 to 1500 then you will GAIN weight even if it's all "healthy" foods.