Frustrated With Outside Opinions

Options
So, today I walked into my relative's home and someone asked me what I ate today. I said, "Pizza." So then I had to hear a whole speech about how I need to stay away from pizza because it's so fattening and greasy. Then I also had to hear about green juices, vegetable soup, and making homemade potato chips to "cut all the grease and fat out."

I said, " Trust me, I'm doing fine. I made sure I had enough calories to enjoy a greasy slice of pizza." Then they went on about how I need to cut pizza out completely and eat fruits and vegetables. I need to drink this type of milk, cut out this, add this, this vegetable is good for the blood, no Chinese food, eat fast food once a month, blah, blah. I'm so annoyed. People are really uneducated about what it takes to lose weight. I loathe the restrictive attitude. If I ate like what they suggested, then I'd end up bored and unsuccessful. They noticed the 45 pounds I've lost in 8 months, but still give their unsolicited advice. Sigh. They just don't get it.

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    People really don't get it. Unfortunately, all you can control is your reaction. I've learnt that the best way to avoid these types of "lectures" is a short and simple "I'm fine". The reasons why they probe about food vary, but unfortunately, you can't stop them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    honestly esp since it's family you have a choice.

Smile and nod

or

re-educate them if possible.

but at the same time how do they know you are counting calories aka trying to lose weight? did you mention it?

I have yet to have anyone anywhere tell me anything like that esp family...mainly because I didn't say anything to anyone about my efforts...I just did it.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, if it's working for you and you're happy then lectures from other people about "what you're doing wrong" are pointless and annoying.

This kind of thing happens no matter what you're eating. I'm very happily losing weight and very happily eating a healthy diet, cutting out certain foods because I want to do this for me and I get told similar things too, that I'm doing it wrong for cutting out foods, that I can still lose weight by eating pizza, chips, sweets etc (which I know is true) but never mind the fact that I don't want to eat those types of foods. Someone will always have an opinion on what you're doing and will love telling you it's wrong.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You have to just learn to ignore that stuff. I used to get those comments until I lost almost 90 lbs and I've been successfully keeping it off. Now I'm more likely to have someone tell me to eat a cheeseburger because I'm clearly wasting away to nothing. People always have to make some kind of comment.

For real. My husband just commented to me a couple of days ago "My mom saw your recent picture and said you need to be careful you don't make yourself sick because you are getting really thin in your face."

Um, I'm near the top of normal BMI here.

He knows she is full of it. Then OTOH he will still comment sometimes or give me a look like "should you be eating that?"