Maca root for health benefits/weight loss

Options
Anyone heard of or used maca root for weight loss? I will be using it to increase my fertility and a few other things but what are the benefits/downfalls of using it while trying to lose weight also? heard it can help with weight loss and that it can give you energy too, anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Replies

• Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    "Be careful with maca, there is such a thing as too much too soon. I read a forum posting on the net today, and my herbalist confirmed it. Maca root actually can exasperate your hormonal symptoms and make them worse. It’s also an energy booster so this is why I was feeling like my heart was beating faster all the time, I felt a heap of stress and I couldn’t sleep at night. In fact, my herbalist is not a fan of maca and does not recommend it. The only reason he agreed that perhaps I should continue to take it was because for the past week with continued use of the maca, my skin has started to clear, I’ve been happy all the time and not anxious or depressed at all. In other words, maybe my hormones have finally balanced out. Maybe it’s from the maca, or maybe not. He suggested that I keep taking it because it’s working, but if I experience the crazy PMT and mood symptoms again, that I should immediately stop taking it"

The rest of the article is at http://www.highonhealth.org/what-nobody-tells-you-about-maca-root-powder-dangers-and-side-effects/

Remember to do research, not just questions on a forum, before you start taking pills.
  • mrslondon
    mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    "Be careful with maca, there is such a thing as too much too soon. I read a forum posting on the net today, and my herbalist confirmed it. Maca root actually can exasperate your hormonal symptoms and make them worse. It’s also an energy booster so this is why I was feeling like my heart was beating faster all the time, I felt a heap of stress and I couldn’t sleep at night. In fact, my herbalist is not a fan of maca and does not recommend it. The only reason he agreed that perhaps I should continue to take it was because for the past week with continued use of the maca, my skin has started to clear, I’ve been happy all the time and not anxious or depressed at all. In other words, maybe my hormones have finally balanced out. Maybe it’s from the maca, or maybe not. He suggested that I keep taking it because it’s working, but if I experience the crazy PMT and mood symptoms again, that I should immediately stop taking it"

The rest of the article is at http://www.highonhealth.org/what-nobody-tells-you-about-maca-root-powder-dangers-and-side-effects/

Remember to do research, not just questions on a forum, before you start taking pills.

Thanks for your advice! I am doing lots of research on it and I plan on talking to my doctor also before I start using it. The plan is (as with any other herbal type drug) to take a lower than suggessted dosage to get used to it and see how my body reacts. I will be taking it predominantly for my fertility issues as I have heard that it can increase fertility and regulate periods (something I am having a very hard time with) but I heard that it can help with weight loss too, just curious. Just wanted some actual opinions about it, thanks!