HELP!!! Struggling to lose weight!

Options
aimos87
aimos87 Posts: 55 Member
Hi,

I have been eating 1200-1400 cals a day and exercising (boot camp and walking) 2-4 times a week. Usually once a week (sometimes twice on a bad week) I will have a cheat meal - thai or pizza usually. I am not losing any weight and have been gaining 0.5kg per week for the past 4 weeks. Please help as I'm losing faith and thinking WTF is the point!

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Have you been using a food scale to weigh all the foods that you're eating?
    Are you logging those cheat meals? Can you please open your diary? :)
  • aimos87
    aimos87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've only been loggin in MFP again the last week or so as I was tracking it via WW previously. I have just opened my diary. I have no idea what ratio I should set for carbs, fats, sugars?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh ALL your food (even single serve packages).
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Cheat days may be causing you to retain water. They may be causing you to not lose weight. Hard to say, and that's why I'm not a fan of them.

Food scale and weigh everything, as mentioned above. Consider making room for treats and regular social eating/drinking in your caloric goal. It can be done.
  • JanPalmer500
    JanPalmer500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do a search on the web for the Sirtfood Diet. The benefits gained from fasting are apparently mediated by activating the body's sirtuin gene, the so-called “skinny gene”. When energy is in short supply, as occurs when calorie intake is restricted, stress is placed upon our cells. This is sensed by the sirtuins, which then get switched on, which then broadcast signals that radically alter the way our cells behave.

Sirtuins increase metabolism, the efficiency of muscles, switch on fat burning, reduce inflammation, and repair damage to cells. In effect, sirtuins make us fitter, leaner and healthier.

It's an interesting alternative to the usual diet plans, and it doesn't involve having to exercise.
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    #1: You're setting your calories to 1,200-1,400 based on what? Does that include the calories you burn for exercise or are you eating those as well?
    #2: Weigh your food, log your food.
    #3: Get your needed calories at sedentary level. Then calculate what you do for exercise manually and add that in.

Until you set your base accurately for you, weigh and log your food accurately while logging your exercise accurately, you have zero clue what's going on and there's nothing any of us can do to advise you on what you need to adjust or fix.

Weight loss isn't about how much fat/protein/carbs you have. You could eat absolute garbage and still lose weight as long as you were under your calorie goal. Weight loss is Calories In vs. Calories Out. Period.

Healthy weight loss is about having enough protein to support your muscles. You may want to consider enough calcium to support your bones. Then you may wish to consider the proper nutrients to support the nervous system, etc.

Start with calories, focus on getting your protein requirements in daily. That will ensure that your weight loss will be fat, not muscle.

Hope this helps.