Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why is Freelee popular?

Options

Replies

• paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's not JUST a vegan hangout. There seems to be a lot there and they seem to love endless video replies to each other.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    It's not JUST a vegan hangout. There seems to be a lot there and they seem to love endless video replies to each other.
    well you said it was a vegan hang out lol
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Because people are stupid.

/thread. :)
  • nickie1129
    nickie1129 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I must have missed a memo. Who is Freelee?

Freelee the Banana Girl is a YouTube personality who preaches a 80C/10/10 raw vegan style of eating. She claims that followers can eat 5,000 calories and not gain weight eating this way (she's a long-distance cyclist, so who knows, it might work for her). In order to ensure maximum viewers (and maximum ad revenue) she spends a good deal of her time attacking other YouTubers and making outlandish claims (many have been given above, but there are lots more to be found).

and the more you talk about her, the more she gains :smile:

Not entirely accurate. She USED to preach 80/10/10. but now she does a raw till four thing she made up. One liter of water before every meal, nothing but fruit before 4, and after four you can have cooked vegan food, but not beans or legumes or any fat sources. Only things like potatoes and rice and some vegetables are allowed. Her preferred macro breakdown is 90/5/5. and even then she says 5 should be the maximum protein and fat you can have in a day. She says you should drink so much water that you pee at least once an hour, your pee should be completely clear, and that you should wake up in the middle of the night to pee at least once. Also, women must aim for at least 2500 calories and men should aim for 3000. Yeah, she's freaking nuts.

• fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    YouTube is a vegan hangout. She's a vegan.

Huh???? I'm vegan, before that vegetarian for decades. I can a) count on my fingers how many times I looked at YouTube and b) who or what is Freelee? And I love being stereotyped....
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    fldiver97 wrote: »
    YouTube is a vegan hangout. She's a vegan.

Huh???? I'm vegan, before that vegetarian for decades. I can a) count on my fingers how many times I looked at YouTube and b) who or what is Freelee? And I love being stereotyped....

I dunno why this comment has been such an issue. There are lots of vegans on YouTube. Not every vegan will use YouTube. There are non vegans on YouTube too.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Because her untruth seems so believable and people want to believe her. She makes it all seem so possible.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    nickie1129 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I must have missed a memo. Who is Freelee?

Freelee the Banana Girl is a YouTube personality who preaches a 80C/10/10 raw vegan style of eating. She claims that followers can eat 5,000 calories and not gain weight eating this way (she's a long-distance cyclist, so who knows, it might work for her). In order to ensure maximum viewers (and maximum ad revenue) she spends a good deal of her time attacking other YouTubers and making outlandish claims (many have been given above, but there are lots more to be found).

and the more you talk about her, the more she gains :smile:

Not entirely accurate. She USED to preach 80/10/10. but now she does a raw till four thing she made up. One liter of water before every meal, nothing but fruit before 4, and after four you can have cooked vegan food, but not beans or legumes or any fat sources. Only things like potatoes and rice and some vegetables are allowed. Her preferred macro breakdown is 90/5/5. and even then she says 5 should be the maximum protein and fat you can have in a day. She says you should drink so much water that you pee at least once an hour, your pee should be completely clear, and that you should wake up in the middle of the night to pee at least once. Also, women must aim for at least 2500 calories and men should aim for 3000. Yeah, she's freaking nuts.

She sounds like she's afraid of her own body.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    freelee is right

Thats why people love her

Umm, Wut?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    this person doesnt love her. I have a strong dislike for people like her.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    freelee is right

Umm, Wut?

freelee is correct

do you understand that better or?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    About what? The weird anti menstruation thing?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've watched a few of her videos, the way you can't not look at a car crash. And Durian Rider is an even bigger douche than Freelee. She's done a lot of videos showing what she eats in a day but that also show her going on massive bike rides every day too. Of course her calorie requirements are higher than average!

Can't bear either of them. And I found out about them because of an article that popped up in mainstream press about "Freelee the banana girl". I use Youtube quite a lot but that's not where I heard about her, she's had quite a lot of press which sends traffic her way.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    freelee is right

Oh you. :yawn:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    freelee is right

Yes, her views are very right of centre. I hear that's why people love Trump as well.

As long as she doesn't start banging on about annexing the Sudetenland...

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I also think she said her mother was dying from stage 3 or 4 cancer and her raw til 4 diet cured it, supposedly without drugs,treatments and without meds

She's openly said that chemotherapy kills and cancer patients should avoid it. Honestly, the more I read about her the more ridiculous it gets. Chemtrails. Feeding kids chicken is child abuse. Menstruation as a sign that toxicity is leaving the body. And her theories about 9/11. She's not just "out there." She's dangerously out there. And people are listening.

yes but she did say that in one of her videos that her mom eating raw til 4 cured her cancer. Im thinking either her mom got some kind of treatment on the side or never had cancer,and if she did it wasnt that severe. yes some can go in remission but if I remember correctly she said that its like it never happened.just like some people claim juicing helped them cure theirs

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing wasn't entirely fabricated, either.

There was another "clean eating" diet guru from Australia (I can't remember her name) who told everyone her diet had cured her brain cancer. Then it came out that she never had brain cancer. So I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this case of cancer was bogus too.

That would be Belle Gibson. She made a great living out of her sad story about cancer until it turned out that pretty much none of it was true.

I promise that not all Aussie women have such extreme and/or incorrect views!