Jillian Michaels Shred it with Weights

Options
2»

Replies

• EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi

I made up my own exercise for Kettlebells, I mainly do the JM Shred it with weights dvd. I put it in as 150 cal's per 10 mins so about 15 cals a minute as that's what I heard someone online (could be entirely wrong but it feels like I'm working out harder than ever and that includes when I run!)

Hope that helps :)
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Still waiting to hear how doe people post their kettlebells workouts in MFP, since it isn't listed in the options. Thanks!

I record it under circuit training (until I get a HRM)

BTW, I love this DVD, just did it this morning
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend getting a heart rate monitor; one that you have to program your individual information. Each person burns calories at different rates depending on many factors including age, gender, weight, height, and resting heart rate. MFP tells me I burn way more calories spinning than my heart rate monitor does. I trust my monitor b/c it is individualized, so I always override the MFP calorie burn number for my actual.

I have been wanting to get one of them, where would you suggest be the best place to buy one and about how much do they cost? I really want one like the biggest loser contestants wear on their biceps. I thought 24/7 fitness gave them theirs, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

These are Bodymedia fit. Google it and do a search on here, you'll find lots if info. They are designed to be worn all day. A HRM is just worn for exercise. Again do a search for HRM and you'll find lots of posts.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How many calories you burn depends on your own weight.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3, 166lbs and I do kettlebell workouts a lot. I burn about 400 cals in a 45 minute class however there is a high afterburn as well.
  • lunajes
    lunajes Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started the DVD today. I like it.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    i know that if your using a 10-15 LB ketttlebell and work out for 15 min wiht them , ( like on jillians shred it with weights) you will burn 300 calories in 15 min, her work outs are 30 min long . Thats 600, i do them every morning ! love them!

"you" might not burn what other people do - calorieburn is highhly individual - and a heart rate monitor is about the closest you can come to an accurate figure..If "you" are 25, 6 feet tall and weighs 250lbs and not fit, YOU will burn a lot more calories in a 30 minute workout than somebody who is 5'6, 140lbs, 44 years old and fit....

It can be added to MFP as interval training - I won't add any of her stuff as strengh...
  • astrampe
    Options
    Still waiting to hear how doe people post their kettlebells workouts in MFP, since it isn't listed in the options. Thanks!

Depends on what you do with the kettlebell - if it's a JM interval/bootcamp type of dvd, I would log it as cardio...
    I do a 30 minute purely weightlifting workout with kettlebells and log that as strengh training....
  • canuckgirl101
    canuckgirl101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a 20lb bell and have a polar HRM I will try it and see what results I get tomorrow ( never wanted to use it as I don't want to smash my watch during workouts) but what I have read in different articles and books I have is kettlebells burns serious calories and one of the reasons I use them. But everyone will have different results depending on the person's own weight level of skill and bell size.
  • astrampe
    Options
    I wear my garmin with the face on the inside of my wrist - and I wear terry cloth armbands anyways, so I just wear the garmin underneath it...
  • canuckgirl101
    canuckgirl101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So I wore my Polar today, I have a FT60 with chest band to see my calorie results.
    298 calories burned in 26 min using a 20lb bell.

I am ......
    39yrs young
    5'6
    140lbs
    15% BF
    RHR of 52 bpm
    I've been athletic most of my life but have been going strong & consistent (6 days a week) for the last 2yrs

Really can't recommend wearing a watch ext while doing kettlebells. Even with wrist pads the snatches still got me and left bruising from my watch and to make it worse bruising on my other wist from the fitbit. ( I'm doing a fitbit trial test for the company I work for).

Keep in mind these are my stats and of course everyone is different.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I tried level one yesterday. I'll be honest in saying i struggled with some of the parts of it. It highlighted to me that i need to get stronger for sure. I'm achey today but i'll persevere and try it again.
  • maytes4u
    maytes4u Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did Julian Michaels shred it with weights and my watch said I burned 206 calories in 25 minutes. Level 1 is a 25 minute video. I am a female, 5'4 and weigh 175. So I added it to my fitness pal workouts as a cardio workout. Hope this helps.
  • maytes4u
    maytes4u Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    maytes4u wrote: »
    I did Julian Michaels shred it with weights and my watch said I burned 206 calories in 25 minutes. Level 1 is a 25 minute video. I am a female, 5'4 and weigh 175. So I added it to my fitness pal workouts as a cardio workout. Used 10 pound kettle bell. Hope this helps.