I need to feel FULL!!!! HELP!

Options
polar5554
polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
I find myself snacking on things WAYYYYY too much during the afternoon hours...this is as a result of not eating enough at lunch I believe...Does anyone ever get that "full"...or "stuffed" feeling after eating HEALTHY things! I really need to combat these hunger strikes with good food to KEEP me full (I mean full like I don't want to eat until dinner)...

Does anyone have any ideas for me.

I think I'm the kind of person who has to eat 3 BIG meals to keep me from snacking instead of many small meals throughout the day...I need the satisfaction of eating a big meal. Does this make sense?

ETA: I DO drink a ton of water throughout the day....close to 100 oz.

Replies

• brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Try some nuts, or high protein foods. Those go a long way!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    bottle of water, you might just be thirsty.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the snacking - so many things I have read said it is good to eat the snacks to keep your metabolism humming along. I think protein is key however that said I just ate my salad with organic baby lettuces, broccoli, cucumber, olives and mozzerella balls and I am stuffed! However I forgot my water this am so I chugged 1/2 liter of water before and during eating the salad.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Things that fill me up a ton are whey protein shakes - I don't want to eat for HOURS! Costco has these chocolate protein shakes that are 160 calories and 30g of protein. I definitely suggest that for something to use as your first snack of the afternoon, and see if that holds you off until dinner.
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    You may not be eating enough healthy fats ( try nuts, avocados, fish, olive oil)... these types of fats REALLY help you feel satiated!!!
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've always found that a nice big salad helps me feel full. Load it up with veggies of all types and even some fruit. Go as big as you can eat, you'll still only have a few hundred calories in there. I also use Shakeology meal replacement shake which always helps my cravings, too.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Try fiber :) It works very well. Get some benefiber powder and use 1/2 the serving in a bottle of water and have it before lunch and dinner. It'll help fill you
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    After taking a quick look at your journal, I would say that increasing your protein intake is the best way to feel satiated while maintaining a reasonable daily caloric deficit.

My daily protein intake is greater than my carb intake and I really feel as if I'm stuffing myself in order to meet my daily calorie levels.
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    My afternoon snack is usually a ton of veggies i cut up and throw into a quart size baggie (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers, and snap peas) usually equals about 100 cals for a ton of food.. Sometimes I'll throw hummus or a yogurt dip on the side for another 70 cals... I down the water when I eat them and am seriously full for 2+ hours (which is a long time for me as normally Im hungry every hour- which sucks lol) Anyway best of luck!
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    water and a banana cures it for me evertytime!!!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yep, I would make sure your lunch has some good fat in it. avocados, cheese, etc. And lots of protein. A common lunch for me is a salad with lettuce, snow peas, carrot, celery, tuna (at least 1/2 a can), avocado light cheddar cheese.
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast! Low cal & you can eat enough to feel full. We even make low cal Buffalo sauce for it with Frank's Hot Sauce & Move Over Butter.
  • lynnruiz81
    lynnruiz81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You should try eating every 2-3 hours eat a good BF then 2-3hrs later a healthy snack and so on it helps me stay full and prevents me from snacking once Im home..........but make sure they are healthy snacks and not sugar filled , sugar burns faster and youll get hungry alot quicker.

Good luck!
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    "My afternoon snack is usually a ton of veggies i cut up and throw into a quart size baggie (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers, and snap peas) usually equals about 100 cals for a ton of food.. Sometimes I'll throw hummus or a yogurt dip on the side for another 70 cals... I down the water when I eat them and am seriously full for 2+ hours (which is a long time for me as normally Im hungry every hour- which sucks lol) Anyway best of luck! "

Speaking of the above doesn anyone know if being hungry like every hour/ hour in a half is ok???? Is my metabolism just speeding up or whats the deal? I eat pretty well, so not sure what the culprit is? Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I eat veggies, I have my meat and carbs in small portions like you are supposed to and then I will have a HUGE salad on teh side or like a cup and a half of green beans... I feel almost sick to my stomach after I load up on veggies.

plus they are good for you and keep you regulated.

FYI spinach has protein and its a veggie... BONUS!
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Proteins & Complex Carbs at lunch is my advice
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Try to be more consistant with the calories, water and protein. Some days were so low that no one could feel full. You don't want to go under 1200 calories a day.

Try more water and adding protein based snacks (or add to meals) like greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, almonds. Or some protein powder added to your current meals.

All of those should help.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough healthy fats ( try nuts, avocados, fish, olive oil)... these types of fats REALLY help you feel satiated!!!

Agree with this post!!! Healthy fats was what got me through competition prep... You might not be doing contest prep, but these types of fats will keep you full longer!! A suggestion: 1 ounce of brazil nuts, macadamia nuts in the am snack and avocado, egg whites or a glass of V8 (low sodium) in the afternoon would help keep the hunger monster at bay.

PS -looking at your diary, you are kind of low on protein through the day - maybe you can up your protein intake as well?
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I *have* to snack between breakfats/lunch and lunch/dinner.
    I usually have yogurt in the morning snack with maybe a piece of fruit (around 10 am).
    In the afternoon, I will have fruit (around 2-3 pm).
    If I start getting really hungry after that, I will sometimes have one of my granola bars.
    I find snacking is vital to me not getting super hungry and then over-eating at one of my meals.
    I try to keep drinking water throughout the day as well. I just try to stick to the 8 cups per day (2 litres/64 ounces). I find that if I do all this, I don't get really hungry and I don't need a lot of food to make my hunger go away when I *do* eat.
    If you want to feel full, I discovered that grapes do the job nicely also. They are only 2 calories each so that can make the pangs go away with out much impact on the calories.
  • DodgeCJ
    DodgeCJ Posts: 30
    Options
    I eat a greek yogurt with fruit and almonds... very healthy and it is so thick it keeps me full for hours! Good luck!!!