Milk thistle works ,weight loss,liver detox

nicolebarnhill32
nicolebarnhill32 Posts: 22 Member
edited May 2016 in Success Stories
Been taking milk thistle 175mg 2-3 times a day to detox my liver and I dropped 16lbs in @4 months and it brought my liver enzymes to normal levels!!!.

Replies

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    wait-we are all telling how we lost weight right?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    how did you test your liver enzyme levels. I want to test mine also?
  • nicolebarnhill32
    Yes, I have a fatty liver and my enzymes were high, so I took the milk thistle and I lost. .. enzymes went back to normal too. It's not my calorie intake because,I vary drastically and go over alot.
  • nicolebarnhill32
    Yes, I have a fatty liver and my enzymes were high, so I took the milk thistle and I lost. .. enzymes went back to normal too. It's not my calorie intake because,I vary drastically and go over alot.

For any weight loss to occur , one must be at a calorie deficit. Regardless if they realize they are at a deficit or not
    If you feel milk thistle caused your weight loss, fine more power to you. But it is irresponsible to create a thread stating the milk thistle caused your weight loss . Beginners often lurk these boards desperately seeking information. Someone could read this and really believe that all they need to do is take milk thistle to lose weight.

Yes, you are right, it is both my healthy diet and MILK thistle combo..... I did forget to mention that in my original post but it is not just calories. I eat more calories sometimes and still lost weight . But I eat clean and healthy,lots of veggies,fruit,lean meat,nuts. :)
  • nicolebarnhill32
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Been taking milk thistle 175mg 2-3 times a day to detox my liver and I dropped 16lbs in @4 months and it brought my liver enzymes to normal levels!!!.

Weight loss tends to improve NAFLD.

Because you lost weight, you cannot necessarily conclude that the milk thistle reduced your liver enzymes. It's more likely that your diet caused you to lose weight and the weight loss caused your liver enzymes to go down.

Congrats so far though, I hope you continue to do what you need to do and that your NAFLD doesn't cause you problems.

Thank you:) so far I'm doing great.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

For any weight loss to occur , one must be at a calorie deficit. Regardless if they realize they are at a deficit or not
    If you feel milk thistle caused your weight loss, fine more power to you. But it is irresponsible to create a thread stating the milk thistle caused your weight loss . Beginners often lurk these boards desperately seeking information. Someone could read this and really believe that all they need to do is take milk thistle to lose weight.

Yes, you are right, it is both my healthy diet and MILK thistle combo..... I did forget to mention that in my original post but it is not just calories. I eat more calories sometimes and still lost weight . But I eat clean and healthy,lots of veggies,fruit,lean meat,nuts. :)

Eating nutrient dense foods is fantastic but as others have pointed out, it is the calorie deficit that resulted in your 16 lb loss, not the milk thistle or the "clean foods" you are eating. It is impossible to lose weight unless you are in a deficit.

Glad your health is improving!
  • nicolebarnhill32
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    how did you test your liver enzyme levels. I want to test mine also?
    It is sometimes part of routine blood work. Called the "metabolic panel". Elevated liver enzymes are sometimes a sign of cirrhosis, fatty liver, or infection. In all seriousness, there are studies that show silymarin, a substance derived from milk thistle, can block accidental poisonous mushroom ingestion that can damage the liver, and has been shown to help reverse cirrhosis. But it does absolutely nothing for weight loss.

Actually, milk thistle cleans the liver of all the harmful toxins so it works properly which causes weight loss with healthy diet.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member

That's a commercial page selling the stuff. That's not science.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!