Milk thistle works ,weight loss,liver detox

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That's a commercial page selling the stuff. That's not science.

You may want to read it again. Examine.com is one of the more reliable supplement information sites you can find on the internet and they do not sell any supplements.

Um, then why is there a shopping cart icon on the upper right corner? Why is there a link to their store, where they say they are the most trusted seller of supplements. Again, this site is not a scientific one...it's a supplement store.

Examine.com is probably the most reliable database for unbiased reviews on supplements.

Last I checked they do not sell supplements.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited May 2016

You may want to read it again. Examine.com is one of the more reliable supplement information sites you can find on the internet and they do not sell any supplements.

Um, then why is there a shopping cart icon on the upper right corner? Why is there a link to their store, where they say they are the most trusted seller of supplements. Again, this site is not a scientific one...it's a supplement store.

Um, I don't know what you're reading, but they do not sell supplements. Here, try their "About Us" page: https://examine.com/about/ They even specifically list the three products that they sell (hint: they're not supplements)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    You can buy herbs and supplements at the Examine website. As you can at CVS, Walmart, Amazon. That doesn't necessarily make a supplement useless. Here is a Wikipedia link with positive remarks in regards to Milk Thistle, and a link there to one of it's active ingredients, Silymarin. And Wikipedia does not sell supplements.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silybum_marianum

And again, no, it will not help you lose weight.

Can you link me to a sales link at examine.com for any herb or supplement?
  • AnvilHead
    edited May 2016
    You can buy herbs and supplements at the Examine website. As you can at CVS, Walmart, Amazon. That doesn't necessarily make a supplement useless. Here is a Wikipedia link with positive remarks in regards to Milk Thistle, and a link there to one of it's active ingredients, Silymarin. And Wikipedia does not sell supplements.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silybum_marianum

And again, no, it will not help you lose weight.

Orly? Please provide a link to their store where they sell herbs and supplements. That'd be great. Thanks.

As far as milk thistle - first of all, detoxes are a scam and do nothing beneficial. Second of all, there are no scientific studies showing any "cleansing" benefit of milk thistle. You do realize that Wikipedia is open source and can be edited by anybody, right? "Positive remarks in Wikipedia" do not equal science.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    Sorry. Yes you are correct. When you click on the "store" or shopping icon, it shows "supplements" there. But I could not find anywhere where you can actually buy anything. So I am confused about the "Store". :o
    @MissusMoon & @Noel_57
    This is what they sell:

eo47rja8r4c3.jpg
    (have to click learn more then scroll through the information about your selection for the link to buy it...the first one allows you to buy an individual guide based on your goals or all 16...the second one is a book...the third is a monthly subscription)

• AnvilHead
    Sorry. Yes you are correct. When you click on the "store" or shopping icon, it shows "supplements" there. But I could not find anywhere where you can actually buy anything. So I am confused about the "Store". :o

No. The "Supplements" tab leads to their supplement reference/research database. When you click on the "Store" tab, you're taken to their store where they sell exactly three things (all publications) - Stack Guides, the Supplement Goals Reference and the Examine Research Digest.

If you read their article on milk thistle (which was linked upthread), it discusses the sources and composition, pharmacology, etc., then under "Scientific Support & Reference Citations" it links to 31 peer-reviewed studies which were referenced in their research.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2016

Nope, they sell supplement guides. They sell science reviews.
    They do not sell supplements.

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    I once stepped on a milk thistle. Hurt like hell.
    Lol Different thistle but same here put my palm into one while taking photos of my daughter in my dad's front yard in Florida. It was numb for days.
  • nicolebarnhill32
    nicolebarnhill32 Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2016
    Yes milk thistle does help with weight loss my husband is also taking it to detox his liver and he eats like 4,000 plus cals a day and lost 14lbs in the 4 months. And he isn't that active so...my doctor actually recommended it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Yes milk thistle does help with weight loss my husband is also taking it to detox his liver and he eats like 4,000 plus cals a day and lost 14lbs in the 4 months. And he isn't that active so...my doctor actually recommended it.

So did your husband cut his calories down to 4000 or he always ate at that level
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

If he is not very large, someone losing weight at 4K cals and inactivate is an indication of a probable health problem. Why does he think he needs to have a liver detox?
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    As far as milk thistle - first of all, detoxes are a scam and do nothing beneficial. Second of all, there are no scientific studies showing any "cleansing" benefit of milk thistle. You do realize that Wikipedia is open source and can be edited by anybody, right? "Positive remarks in Wikipedia" do not equal science.
    I never used the word "cleanse". You need to read my earlier comments. Here is a National Institute of Health study on Milk Thistle extract. But you will probably disagree with that one also.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21466434

This is not a National Institute of Health Study. Actually, it's not even a study. It looks like more of an opinion piece- there are no subjects, no methodology, no results, nothing. It is literally a paragraph that was written by a couple of people in Hungary and published in a low-impact journal. I don't have access to the full article, so I'm assuming you don't either, but this proves absolutely nothing. It's amazing what people believe if they read it online.

Not to mention any milk thistle you buy on the shelf in the USA is not regulated by the FDA and they don't have to contain what they say they do in the amounts they say they do. If you're lucky, they follow good manufacturing practices (GMP), but that's if you're lucky, and there's still no guarantees.

If your liver really needs extra help "detoxing", you really need to be getting medical help, not advice on the internet.

Also, not sure who said this- but liver tests are NOT part of a metabolic panel. They are LFTs- liver function tests. BMP (basic metabolic panel) is sodium, potassium, chloride, glucose, bicarb, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and serum creatinine.

I can't believe I'm actually wasting my time in this thread....
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    I never used the word "cleanse". You need to read my earlier comments. Here is a National Institute of Health study on Milk Thistle extract. But you will probably disagree with that one also.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21466434

This is not a National Institute of Health Study. Actually, it's not even a study. It looks like more of an opinion piece- there are no subjects, no methodology, no results, nothing. It is literally a paragraph that was written by a couple of people in Hungary and published in a low-impact journal. I don't have access to the full article, so I'm assuming you don't either, but this proves absolutely nothing. It's amazing what people believe if they read it online.

Not to mention any milk thistle you buy on the shelf in the USA is not regulated by the FDA and they don't have to contain what they say they do in the amounts they say they do. If you're lucky, they follow good manufacturing practices (GMP), but that's if you're lucky, and there's still no guarantees.

If your liver really needs extra help "detoxing", you really need to be getting medical help, not advice on the internet.

Also, not sure who said this- but liver tests are NOT part of a metabolic panel. They are LFTs- liver function tests. BMP (basic metabolic panel) is sodium, potassium, chloride, glucose, bicarb, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and serum creatinine.

I can't believe I'm actually wasting my time in this thread....

I'm glad you did though.
  • nicolebarnhill32

So did your husband cut his calories down to 4000 or he always ate at that level

he has always eaten that amount ..and he also drinks beer 2x a week
  • nicolebarnhill32

If he is not very large, someone losing weight at 4K cals and inactivate is an indication of a probable health problem. Why does he think he needs to have a liver detox?

Beer drinking, medications for migraine, weight loss. He is 6'2 220 lbs
  • nicolebarnhill32
    I put this thread out there to help people who need it... because it helped me and that's it..
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Can you open your food diary then so we can all see what you ate and how you did this?
  • burtisfamily7
    burtisfamily7 Posts: 44 Member
    edited May 2016
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member

Please could you advise the names of the toxins that milk thistle removes from the liver. I keep hearing "removes toxins" from you but would genuinely like to know the actual names of the ones it deals with.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    I put this thread out there to help people who need it... because it helped me and that's it..
    It didn't help you, it was everything else you were doing that did. You just think it helped you.
    corrolation =/= causation
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!