Why do carbs have such a bad rep?

Options
124»

Replies

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Carbs have a bad reputation because they've already demonized fat and protein and that didn't work so it must be evil carbs. We have to have a villain or enemy, Orwell explained that very well.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    For me, I went low carb for a few reasons.

1. I'm super high risk for type 2 diabetes: obese, over 35, my mother and several of her siblings have it, and I had gestational diabetes. My mom also had undiagnosed and therefore uncontrolled GD when pregnant with me. (I was almost 11 lbs at birth, and she was diagnosed in her next pregnancy.) I don't know when the insulin resistance will creep on me so I'm kinda treating my diet as though it already has.

2. I want to lose weight relatively quickly (1-2 lbs a week) and low carb improves satiety for me which helps me maintain my calorie deficit.

3. I don't find eating this way difficult. I can go off plan for special occasions and pick it right back up again the next day.
  • kristinaschmidt129142
    kristinaschmidt129142 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a carb addiction, I love pasta and rice and bread, but I can't seem to control how much I eat if it's on the menu, so I have personally cut most of these out of my diet and replace them with lots of vegetables and fibre.

That's just my take on carbs because I can't seem to be in a calorie deficit when certain carbs are in front of me.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law was given irradiated glucose and scanned to determine if she had cancer. The cancer showed up as a bright spot on the scan. So this tells me that carbs / sugar is a food for cancer. So with this thinking I do my best limit my carbs to vegetables, protein and a little fruit. The rest of my calories come from fat.

You do realize this would have worked because cells - cancerous or not - rely on glucose, right? It's food for cancer the same way gasoline is fuel for cars that spontaneously explode. Glucose ITSELF doesn't give you cancer.

I'm surprised your doctor didn't explain this to you. Unless s/he did and you chose not to listen.