Feature Idea for MFP

Options
So I have x calories left for the day, and various amounts of macros remaining. I would like a feature that gives me suggestions on what foods (and how much of them) would hit those macros within that calorie target. Sound good?

Replies

• bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i think that this is a great suggestion! Here is where to post it http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/website-suggestions-feedback
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea, but there's to much liability.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bmayes2014 wrote: »
    i think that this is a great suggestion! Here is where to post it http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/website-suggestions-feedback

Thanks, I'll do that!
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »

I would think it's not anymore liability than telling someone to eat 1200 cals a day. They would be suggestions, just like the calorie intake. Right?
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It could even base suggestions on things you'd eaten before.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »

I like it. "Remember that time you ate all that string cheese? You could so do that right now."
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    If they did do this, it would likely be a premium/paid feature.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »

It's as much liability as MFP has with diabetics basing insulin doses on listed carbs: close to zero. It's still personal responsibility to make sure that the nutrition info provided on MFP is accurate (I can't sue MFP because of a low BG that results from me choosing a 1/2 cup rice entry that has 100g of carbs).

OP, I think NutritionData has a search tool that lets you find foods with a certain macro percentage. The big thing with MFPs macros vs calories is that they don't add up perfectly all the time (especially when some entries might be listed as total carbs, net carbs, or only sugar alcohols subtracted), so I don't know how it would go about finding a food that is "100 calories, 25g of carbs, 5g protein, and 1g fat" (129 total calories).
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Along the lines of what I was going to say...

Why not go through your history to find something that fits? Someone who took the time to do this would eventually learn exactly what fit and how. He/she'd get a good idea of how all his/her own puzzle pieces fit together.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That would be ideal. And yes, I could do it myself. But I could also use a pencil and paper to track and manually add up the calories, etc. The point of the app is that the algorithms do all that. This would just be another algorithm.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Would be nice to have a fully functioning website first.